Trying to get all my files in the right place before updating

Clairvaux

Trying to get all my files in the right place before updating

Postby Clairvaux » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:42 pm

Hi,

I'm about to upgrade to the last version, so I'm trying to do a bit of housekeeping before, by eliminating old files related to deprecated installs of CN.

I have been working with the portable version of CN for a while, following advice given here. It has been going smoothly, so I have just uninstalled from the Program Files (x86) folder the previous "installed" version I had stopped using.

Now it seems I have some old user data files which are no longer in use. But I also think some of the current files are not where they should be ! I'd like to make sure I won't erase my recent work...

My CN executable is in a custom Portable software folder, outside of Window's Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders. My understanding was that therefore, all current user data should have been generated in that folder as well. However :

My current notebooks (judging from Modified dates) seem to have remained in my User\AppData\Roaming folder.

In this folder, there are also some files which I think are obsolete (again, judging from Modified dates) : one cintanotes.settings, one cintanotes.db which is I suppose an original, empty copy of a notebook, plus a backup and a cache folder, both with seemingly obsolete contents.

On the other hand, the Portable software folder, with CintaNotes.exe, seems to also hold some of my current data. It has one cintanotes.settings modified yesterday, the backup and cache folders seem newer, and it has the license.key.

Naturally, it wouldn't be funny if there were no old data in there as well : versions of my notebooks last modified long ago, plus an old cintanotes.db stub.

Closing the list, my admin user account's AppData folder also has an old cintanotes.settings.

Any help to clear up this mess would be greatly appreciated...
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Trying to get all my files in the right place before updating

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:12 pm

Most probably you ran portable CintaNotes and then did a File/Open of a notebook that's inside AppData.

This is what I'd do:

1) Run CintaNotes (it will load your current db) and do a "File/Save as", and overwrite that old stub cintanotes.db with your current one.
2) After that it's safe to archive all CN data from AppData folder.
3) Archive everything else what's outside portable CN folder
4) Archive old notebooks that are in the portable CN folder

Hope this helps!
Alex
Clairvaux

Postby Clairvaux » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:18 pm

Thank you Alex, that worked. Everything is in the portable folder now, and it's much simpler.

I still have a 196 KB cintanotes.db file, however (presumably empty), beside my real notebooks (which have a custom name). Can I delete it, or is it needed to create future notebooks ?

I also noticed that in the file menu, my notebooks are now just referenced by their filename. Before that, they were referenced by their full path, which I guess is a way the software has to say : "beware, this is a non-standard location".
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:32 am

Clairvaux wrote:I still have a 196 KB cintanotes.db file, however (presumably empty), beside my real notebooks (which have a custom name). Can I delete it, or is it needed to create future notebooks ?

No, it's not needed and you can delete it.

I also noticed that in the file menu, my notebooks are now just referenced by their filename. Before that, they were referenced by their full path, which I guess is a way the software has to say : "beware, this is a non-standard location".

Probably too subtle, but still a hint, yes)
Alex
Clairvaux

Postby Clairvaux » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:25 pm

Smashing, thank you.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:42 am

No problem! :)
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”