problem installing beta 10

ukcintafan

problem installing beta 10

Postby ukcintafan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:56 am

I already have Beta 9 with many notes and would like to know the correct method to upgrade to Beta 10 without losing my existing notes. I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit and Beta 9 is installed to the program files folder. Is it necessary to uninstall Beta 9 first ? I tried to install Beta 10 without uninstalling 9 but I got an error message. Then I tried uninstalling Beta 9 but my notes seemed to have disappeared. So I used system restore to get back Beta 9 which worked fine but now I'm not sure how to proceed to get Beta 10 plus notes. I tried to find info in the help and in forum before posting but I couldn't see anything there. No doubt I'm doing something wrong so any help to point me in the right direction is much appreciated.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: problem installing beta 10

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:39 am

ukcintafan wrote:I already have Beta 9 with many notes and would like to know the correct method to upgrade to Beta 10 without losing my existing notes. I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit and Beta 9 is installed to the program files folder. Is it necessary to uninstall Beta 9 first ? I tried to install Beta 10 without uninstalling 9 but I got an error message. Then I tried uninstalling Beta 9 but my notes seemed to have disappeared. So I used system restore to get back Beta 9 which worked fine but now I'm not sure how to proceed to get Beta 10 plus notes. I tried to find info in the help and in forum before posting but I couldn't see anything there. No doubt I'm doing something wrong so any help to point me in the right direction is much appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
From what you've told I assume that you're using the installable version.
Currently the uninstaller deletes ALL files related to CintaNotes except notebook backup.
Do you happen to remember what did the error message say? Thanks
Alex
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:52 am

Maybe and just for safekeeping, the proper "notebook.dat" file could be fished out of... %appdata%\CintaNotes\? (don't know exactly, haven't got a Vista)
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:09 am

Hi Alex

Thanks for responding. I'm sorry I can't remember the original error message. For future I'll try to remember when installing a program to write any messages down. Anyway for now I tried to install Beta 10 again and got
"
C:\Program Files\CintaNotes\Unis000.exe

An error occurred while trying to create a file in the destination directory

Access is denied

I do have UAC enabled so I think if I'm installing to the program files folder I should have run as administrator. My mistake. I'll try to install again using that. Sorry to have bothered you with this

Hi Midas
Thanks for your helpful suggestion. I think when I run as administrator it will work but it doesn't do any harm to play safe so first I'll try to find the notebook.dat file and back it up

Thanks again all and thanks for the great program
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:38 pm

Yes, you have to be an admin if you want to install into Program Files.

Quote from CintaNotes help, section "Installation":

Installing CintaNotes does not require administrative privileges. However, you have to be an administrator if you want to install CintaNotes into the Program Files folder.

Please tell if you could upgrade CN keeping your notes or is the problem still unsolved?

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:38 pm.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”