One question about pasting...

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

One question about pasting...

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:53 am

Lately I've faced a small but interesting design question, in resolving of which I want to seek your advice.

Here's the story: I used some software which could copy text to clipboard, but without using selection and only via a context-menu command. So clipping feature of CN couldn't work and I had to resort to copy and paste.

I've had a tag selection active, and since pasting doesn't switch view or add any tags to the pasted note, I couldn't see the note that I've just pasted.
Not very convenient and therefore, not good!

By the way, I've also found a bug - regardless of the reverse order setting, pasting a note scrolled view to the bottom of the list. I've already fixed that, and the fix will be included in the upcoming M10.4.

So I want to fix this, but am not sure what would be the correct behavior. I've produced a list of options and have come up with some arguments for each of them.

Option 1:
Pasting should switch view to "All" (and "Untagged" if "Options/After Clipping/Switch view to untagged" option is set).

+ You see what you pasted
+ Behavior is consistent with clipping
+ You can be sure that the pasted note will be in Untagged
- Pasting is not exactly equal to clipping since the current view is in your focus of attention and you expect to see the note there
- Need to rename the option "After Clipping", since it will apply not only to clipping
- Sudden view switch cancels your tag selection

Option 2:
If there are tags selected, Pasting should add the selected tags so that the note stays in view
+ You see what you pasted
+ Behavior follows your focus of attention, no sudden view switches
- Possibility to add unwanted tags
- Not clear what to do with OR tag selection.

Option 3:
Leave the behavior as it is.

+ No changes required
+ No sudden view switches
+ You are sure that the pasted note will be in Untagged
- Frustrates users since you don't see the note you've just pasted and don't know if the pasting did indeed happen

Option 4.
Your suggestion?

Please tell which option is your favorite and why) After some discussion, in case we don't come to an unanimous decision, I intend to open a poll on this ;) Thanks in advance!
Alex
ale

Re: One question about pasting...

Postby ale » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:39 pm

I'm thinking about this but it's really hard to say what's the best choice...
I have to say I almost never used direct paste... thinking so far I would slightly prefer option 1 over 2, because of consistency with clipping. Alex, why don't you say us what's your preference, it might be helpful :)
As a side note, without reverse order, pasting gives focus not to the pasted note but to the penultimate (hope it's the right word) note, is it a little "bug"?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:52 am

ale wrote:Alex, why don't you say us what's your preference, it might be helpful :)

Well, if I had a really strong preference, I wouldn't have to ask ;)
After a lot of consideration I can say that option 2 is slightly more appealing to me, mostly because it respects my current focus. But that's me. "Know thy user, because they are not you" ;)

ale wrote:As a side note, without reverse order, pasting gives focus not to the pasted note but to the penultimate (hope it's the right word) note, is it a little "bug"?

Will be fixed in 10.4.
Alex
ale

Postby ale » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:00 am

I said option 1 because of consistency, but now I realized a nice consistency plus for option 2. When we have a tag selected and create a new note with Insert key or Edit > New menu option, it keeps the tag so we might say

Option 2
+ Consistency with the insert command

I said nothing for option 3 but a minus besides no visual feedback on note creation, is that extra steps are needed for editing after creation, we need to go and look for the note so I would say

Option 3
- Editing after creation is not a direct one step process
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:44 pm

I'll cast my vote for option 2. I hope someone has some good suggestions for the Tags problem created though, but can't really see it as a serious problem.
-Todd
Midas

Postby Midas » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:04 am

For the least minus and the least logical twists, my vote goes to 3. Bear with me...
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:18 pm

Well, I had to make a decision since 10.4 was long overdue, and I went for option 2 - it seemed that everyone agreed on it - sorry Midas)
Of course if there are many complaints we can turn things back.
Thanks for help, guys!
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”