How much memory will CN occupy?

How much memory will CN occupy?

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:38 am

Hello everybody.

I'm testing CintaNotes for a few days now and so far I'm happily excited about it.

Today I downloaded an XML-File from kranor and made a scary discovery :geek: :

I have 48 notes in the CN-Database and the size of the notebook.dat is 250 kB.
When I imported kranors XML-file, which is 2.13 MB in size, the notebook.dat blew up to 2.36 MB. That's perfect.

Windows Taskmanager shows, that CN freshly started with my few notes grabbed 5.25 MB of RAM. That's quite a lot for an 383 kB Prog and 250 kB Data, but acceptable.

Now, after importing kranors XML-file the memory footprint was 12.4 MB :o . That's an increase of more than 7 MB - 3 x the size of the imported notes.

How much memory will CN occupy, once the database grew up to 20 MB? 65 MB? Well, if it's not more, I could live with that. But a program, which is permanently held in memory, should be a space-saver.

ClipOMatic is a clipboard utility I have always running for 10 years now. The exe is 64 kB and the memory footprint with 5 kB clipsets loaded is 148 kB 8-) .

Currently I'm still using CueCards 2000 (the Freeware is in german only) as a notes-manager. CueCards occupies 9 MB RAM when started up with a 4 MB database. All my databases are 12 MB in size. I hope to be able to move all my collected information to CintaNotes soon.

Greetings from Bommi
Bommi

Re: How much memory will CN occupy?

Postby Bommi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:58 am

Ooops. The forum threw me out while I was typing.
Was'nt aware, that posting as a guest is possible.
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
- Charles H. Duell, US Commissioner of Patents, in 1899 -
- on reporters question, what kind of inventions he is expecting for the future
ale

Postby ale » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:50 pm

Hello Bommi, welcome to the CintaNotes forum :)
you might be interested in this discussion viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16 where Alex (the developer) explained a few things about the current design and the intention to migrate to a SQLite database (which as far as I know it's one of the things being developed right now).
Bommi

Postby Bommi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Thanks, ale.

In the meantime I found out, that the amount of RAM shown in Windows Taskmanager is not a minimum of RAM reserved for a program, but the nessesary with an extra. This extra memory is handed over by Windows to any application, that needs some more. So I am sure now that everything is okay with the memory-management.

Considering, that RAM will inflate furthermore and 8 GB will be standard soon, I'm quite relaxed when thinking of CintaNotes memory consumption.

Nevertheless size matters. My notebook.dat is now 4,5 MB in size. When exporting everything to a textfile the size again is 4,5 MB. When copying the text of this file to clipboard, pasting it in an editor and saving it to a new textfile, the size is 2,25 MB. This is because CintaNote encodes text in Unicode - in a Hex-Editor every second character is shown as a space (hex: 20). So CintaNotes could spare half of the RAM with an option to change to ASCII.

I'm using CintaNotes for 10 weeks now and the notebook.dat is 4,5 MB. It will grow at least with this speed in the future - 23,4 MB every Year. In 2020 the size will be about 250 MB :geek: and in 2030 CintaNotes will need 500 MB RAM :ugeek: .

Oh, I just made 2 entrys in my calendar: In exactly 10 and 20 years I'll come back right here and post the actual size of the notebook.dat.

2020-01-21: ??? MB
2030-01-21: ??? MB

Looking for the perfect calender? Check out this one:
http://freenet-homepage.de/ukrebs/
Minimized to tray it consumes 1 MB RAM

Bye
Bommi
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
- Charles H. Duell, US Commissioner of Patents, in 1899 -
- on reporters question, what kind of inventions he is expecting for the future
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:17 am

Bommi, I think there are some features planned for CN that might render your prognosis for 2020 incorrect :)
- Support for working with multiple notebook files (only one will be in memory at a time);
- Migration to SQLite (whole large notebooks won't be loaded into memory);
- Automatic archiving of old notes.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”