[Ann] Version 1.0 Preview

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Ann] Version 1.0 Preview

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:48 am

Ok it seems I've been a bit too self-assured to make statements about DropBox. The current version 0.7.110 refuses to sync the file while CintaNotes is running. But I do remember that it was working fine some time ago :x
I now investigate the issue.
Alex
kranor

Postby kranor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:51 am

Hi Alex getting the below error whenever trying to launch preview 1. This only occurs on a single machine running XP SP3. This machine is a corporate machine and may well have bits and pieces disabled that CN may require. Could you let me know of any error checking or logging that you want me to do on this, along with method. PS Works Perfectly on my laptop!
Attachments
Error.jpg
Error.jpg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 18101 times
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:12 am

Kranor,

is any kind of network disk drive involved?
Alex
kranor

Postby kranor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:43 am

Nope none at all, I moved the Cintanotes folder around to 5 or 6 different locations and still had the same issue (desktop, c:, usb, network drives even a zip drive) I honestly think there is a file dependency that you have included, that the company I work for has deleted or disabled. Like I said it works perfectly at home (7 PC's, 5 x XP, 2 x Vista, ) and on my laptop (win 7) its only this work machine. I use cinta a lot at work, and also have got a lot of others using it as well, so I would really like to tie down what the issue is.

Cheers

Just tried another users PC and logon of the same build type, Exactly the same error received.
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Notts

Postby Notts » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:15 am

Hi Alex
Same Runtime Error experienced by Kranor

On running CintaNotes again come up with following error
Attachments
2010-03-12_CN error1.jpg
2010-03-12_CN error1.jpg (52.53 KiB) Viewed 18073 times
kranor

Postby kranor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:44 am

I don't get the database or SQL error with mine, just the runtime......
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:35 am

Things like that kinda make me glad I'm doing a preview version, if you know what I mean ;)
I'm on it. Guys, please describe the system configuration of these PCs - processor, OS, any 3rd party soft running in background. What are disks O: and F:, what are the paths CN is installed to?
Thanks
Alex
kranor

Postby kranor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:57 am

In my case F: is a USB hard drive

Cinta notes 10.5 working perfectly on desktop.
Preview 1 shows error
Running software:
SAP Gui 710
IE 8
Lotus notes
P start
Mcaffe corporate

system as below
Attachments
Setup.JPG
Setup.JPG (30.83 KiB) Viewed 18045 times
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Does it fail when you delete the .db file? (don't forget to backup it)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:24 pm

Please check this Preview 2 file.
It creates a log1.txt file. If the program still fails, please post it here or send to me.
Attachments
CintaNotes_1_0_Preview_2.zip
(568.97 KiB) Downloaded 2637 times
Alex
kranor

Postby kranor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:36 pm

Ok? what did you Fix? :D :D went through perfectly on mine!

First i tested with just launching the new cinta ( ie no upgrade) worked perfectly.

Then I carried out an upgrade, and again working perfectly.

Previously the preview version would fail on both.

Anyway I have put together a spreadsheet showing the dependencies of both M10.5 beta and Version 1 preview. I have sorted this sheet and highlighted the different items by version. It may come in useful to you so I will include it here.

Cheers again Alex
Attachments
CintaDepend.zip
(5.41 KiB) Downloaded 2564 times
ALL

Postby ALL » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:39 pm

Hmmmm,
I have not this bug ...
Notts

Postby Notts » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Sleep
Preview2
Fixed with preview2

Top job .....
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:17 pm

Testing v1.0P2: :geek:

Dropped exe into clean new folder and run -- no problem, empty .db file and other necessary files created OK. Configured with usual options and restarted -- everything still OK, apart from previously reported problem of app window size and position not sticking between sessions.

Copied previous version (BM10.5) help folder and notebook.dat to new version location -- database still empty, thus old database not automatically detected. Imported notebook.dat without any problems trough menu 'File | Import...' by selecting .dat file type. Notebook.dat contained 355 notes and weighed 2 209 857 bytes (new db weighs 3 289 088 bytes, ~49% size increase).

Excellent job. Looking forward for final release. :)
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:28 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Please check this Preview 2 file.
It creates a log1.txt file. If the program still fails, please post it here or send to me.

Upgraded ok.
Running from USB Stick, on Win 7
Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:51 am

Guest wrote:Cant wait to use the new version :D

But is it possible to integrate one more thing?

- option in the "View" menu to hide the menu (toggle with ALT like in Firefox or Windows Explorer)

Unfortunately no, last-minute additions are dangerous.
This is a nice idea, since in the era of wide-screens vertical space is more valuable than horizontal. Was this request done before?
Could you point me to a corresponding topic in the Feature Requests forum? Thanks.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:07 am

danei wrote:Thanks for the option and tip.
BTW, What will happen if every east asia char be treated as a token, regardless of space?
I mean, for example, if I search [char1][char2], CN first search index for [char1], then in the result search index for [char2] for the very combination [char1][char2].
This will not affect pure English users, and may give reasonable performance for east asia(and other) chars.
In fact, the languages inherited from latin, greek and cyrillic use space as seperator. Those east asia, india, all right-to-left languages don't use space.
This could possibly work, but having to treat East Asia characters differently will be complicated at best. Say '[Cn]' denotes a single Chinese character. And say we search for '[C1][C2]'. The full text search will find all notes that contain both [C1] and [C2], each in any place of the text. Now we have to scan the text to pick those notes that contain these characters in exact sequence... so the program will need another layer between the DB and notes view to filter out additional notes.

I guess the Linear "Exact Search" just will have to do for the time being. Have you downloaded Preview 2, how is it working?

By the way, forgot to mention that when "Exact Search" is turned off, CN Preview 2 now supports extended query syntax.
  • 'word1 word2' matches all notes that contain both words in any order;
  • '-word1' matches all notes that don't contain word1;
  • 'word1 -word2' matches notes that have word1 but not have word2;
  • 'word1 word2|word3' matches notes that have word1 and have either word2 or word3
  • different combinations of the above also work.
  • It works only for note title and text.
  • '|' (OR operator) binds tighter than ' ' (AND operator).
  • Search result highlighting is not yet on par with this functionality.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:40 am

kranor wrote:Ok? what did you Fix? :D :D went through perfectly on mine!

First i tested with just launching the new cinta ( ie no upgrade) worked perfectly.

Then I carried out an upgrade, and again working perfectly.

Previously the preview version would fail on both.

Anyway I have put together a spreadsheet showing the dependencies of both M10.5 beta and Version 1 preview. I have sorted this sheet and highlighted the different items by version. It may come in useful to you so I will include it here.
Nice! If only I understood what change was responsible for the bug going away :cry:
About the dependencies: I doubt they are relevant here, because Preview 2 works and it has same dependencies, but thanks anyway.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:42 am

Notts wrote:Sleep
Preview2
Fixed with preview2

Top job .....

Great! But what do you mean by 'Sleep'?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:47 am

Midas wrote:Testing v1.0P2: :geek:

Dropped exe into clean new folder and run -- no problem, empty .db file and other necessary files created OK. Configured with usual options and restarted -- everything still OK, apart from previously reported problem of app window size and position not sticking between sessions.

Copied previous version (BM10.5) help folder and notebook.dat to new version location -- database still empty, thus old database not automatically detected. Imported notebook.dat without any problems trough menu 'File | Import...' by selecting .dat file type. Notebook.dat contained 355 notes and weighed 2 209 857 bytes (new db weighs 3 289 088 bytes, ~49% size increase).

Excellent job. Looking forward for final release. :)

Hi Midas, glad to see you :)
Thanks for taking a look.
As for "Old database not automatically detected" - the detection code is not run if the .db file is already present (even empty). Your first run created it, so no wonder.

49% size increase - yeah that's killing me. Full text search is expensive. I'm thinking about switching from UTF-16 to UTF-8 in the database. The database size will shrink significantly. But for East Asia languages, the DB size will grow.

The other option would be to use some kind of compression, but it is complicated.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”