[Ann] Version 1.0 Preview

danei

Re: [Ann] Version 1.0 Preview

Postby danei » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:42 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I guess the Linear "Exact Search" just will have to do for the time being. Have you downloaded Preview 2, how is it working?

I tried it as soon as you posted it. It works perfect. What's more, I don't notice performance downgrade comparing to m10.5. Maybe the difference will be significant if the number of notes is great.
The idea of incremental search is that, the search for 2nd char will be performed within the result of 1st search, which should save some time. But I don't know how hard to imply that onto full text search.
BTW, either utf-8 or utf-16 db is ok for me.
ale

Postby ale » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:06 am

Alex I'm curious :mrgreen:
I was playing again with sorting, some artificial data and maybe a corner case, I mean, for example, creating some notes (but not all) with the same date. Well it's interesting how sorting and then reversing the list works. I will attach a screenshot to explain... is it all ok and I suppose is it just how things work? :)
Attachments
test.png
test.png (36.09 KiB) Viewed 9714 times
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:20 am

ale,

the algorithm is extremely simple: the notes which are equal on the current sorting criteria, are sorted according to the order they were added/moved ("none" really means "user defined" or "custom"), regardless of the "Reverse Order" option because it applies to primary sorting only.

None: as added/moved (there can't be two notes equal here, so no secondary sorting)
None reversed: as added/moved reversed (again, no secondary sorting possible)
Date: by date, then as added
Date: by date reversed, then as added.

If there's a strong demand for this, I might add the possibility to select the secondary sorting too. Right now it seems superfluous.
Alex
ale

Postby ale » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:29 am

Ok, thanks for the explanation (and all the dedication you put in CN), as always I'll let you know of any problems or anything else.
DStrohma

Postby DStrohma » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:04 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Guest wrote:Cant wait to use the new version :D

But is it possible to integrate one more thing?

- option in the "View" menu to hide the menu (toggle with ALT like in Firefox or Windows Explorer)

Unfortunately no, last-minute additions are dangerous.
This is a nice idea, since in the era of wide-screens vertical space is more valuable than horizontal. Was this request done before?
Could you point me to a corresponding topic in the Feature Requests forum? Thanks.

I understand that, no problem :)
I never made that feature request before.

Maybe you can add it to the next version? Would be cool.
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:18 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Midas wrote:Testing v1.0P2: :geek: [...]

Hi Midas, glad to see you :)

Thanks for taking a look.

As for "Old database not automatically detected" - the detection code is not run if the .db file is already present (even empty). Your first run created it, so no wonder.

49% size increase - yeah that's killing me. Full text search is expensive. I'm thinking about switching from UTF-16 to UTF-8 in the database. The database size will shrink significantly. But for East Asia languages, the DB size will grow.

The other option would be to use some kind of compression, but it is complicated.

Hi Alex, glad to be around as CintaNotes turns 1.0.

I got that about the database detection, but shot that remark from the top of my head -- kind of a subliminal feature request... ;)

My guess is that for most of us UTF-8 will be OK -- maybe keep a UTF-16 version for East Asian Users? On compression, with SQlite departing from the human readable database format, it won't be too radical a step.

For an alternative approach, may I quote again the case of wikidPad, where a choice is given to use individual text files for notes (called Gadfly), a SQlite index for the same notes or keep the notes and index in the SQlite database, all options having their individual pros and cons.

All in all, thanks yet again for this excellent info gathering tool. :mrgreen:
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”