[Files] Latest Dropbox synchronization method: please discuss...

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Files] Latest Dropbox synchronization method: please discuss...

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:57 pm

Noddy330 wrote:I’ve run this for a while on two PCs without problems.
Both PCs ran CN at the same time, sharing settings & backup, but I left a >30sec gap before moving to the other PC.
It seems to take a long time (>6 mins) before a change made on one side is seen on the other – when nothing else is going on in CN - this can be accelerated by pressing insert and cancel.
Nod

You see, the update actually happens faster than observed 6 mins. It's just CintaNotes doesn't update the view until you do something. Of course it would be better to update it automatically as soon as change is detected, I think I'll implement this before 1.1 is released.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:03 pm

Noddy330 wrote:I’ve not used the –i param, but wondered if it a testing tool or if it will it be formally released.
If the later, I would prefer if it could test for the file already being in use and not allow the same database to be opened twice.
Nod

Yes you are definitely right. If have some time left before the 1.1 release, I'd to this check. If not, it will remain undocumented for the time being.
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:30 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Also this version supports the "-i" command line switch to allow multiple instances of the program.
I mostly did it for myself to be able to use and develop CintaNotes simultaneously. I use note color to quickly distinguish between instances. But I think it might as well come in handy for someone else.

WARNING: Be careful for the multiple instances not to share one notebook file. It might corrupt your data.

Alex
I’ve noticed that the -i switch seems to apply to the PC rather that the instance of CN being started with that switch.
e.g. start one instance of CN with –i, and then another instance of CN without –i is allowed to run.
Is this what was intended?
Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:37 pm

No, this is not the case. Think of "-i" as "invisible". The second instance can't see the first and will start. But the third one won't start.
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:50 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:No, this is not the case. Think of "-i" as "invisible". The second instance can't see the first and will start. But the third one won't start.

Thanks for that, Nod

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”