[Ann] CintaNotes 1.4

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.4

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:53 pm

hlop4ik wrote:can this option be added to cintanotes.settings???

Could you explain why the current solution doesn't fit the bill for you?
Alex
metaloop

Postby metaloop » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:57 pm

hlop4ik wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:metaloop: Change your CN shortcut to run it as follows: cintanotes.exe -noactivationmsg

can this option be added to cintanotes.settings???

+1
metaloop

Postby metaloop » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Less-proficient computer users won't even realize this is an option.
EDIT: Also, I have CintaNotes pinned to my Windows 7 taskbar. Is this an option for me?
Noddy330

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.4 Preview

Postby Noddy330 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:27 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:No, unfortunately not in this version. But if you post it as an idea on the roadmap, I'll be able to include this in the next version. Since it will be of "easy" complexity, I can take the liberty of implementing it without it getting to the top votewise.

that's good thanks - I'll post the idea. Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:33 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Less-proficient computer users won't even realize this is an option.
EDIT: Also, I have CintaNotes pinned to my Windows 7 taskbar. Is this an option for me?

Yes, this is an option for you:
(When CN application is closed) hold Shift + Right Click on the taskbar button > Properties > Target: "cintanotes.exe -noactivationmsg"

But ok, I see your point, added to the roadmap: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/feedback/ ... ssettings/
Alex
ale

Postby ale » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Bug... ©2007-2010 Cinta Software should be ©2007-2011 :)

Thanks a lot for the release, I will test in the coming days!

If nobody is doing it I might even attempt an italian translation. Thanks again Alex.
mhf

Postby mhf » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:05 pm

mhf wrote:Alex - I have doubts about the wisdom or even the reasons behind moving the .db file to the %APPDATA%\CintaNotes directory (directly or indirectly). Could you explain please ?

Cintanotes Developer wrote:Sorry I must have poorly expressed myself! The location is moved ONLY if the "notebook.file" (or "backup.folder") parameter is pointing to a location inside of the "Program Files" directory. In all other cases nothing is changed.
Microsoft harshly disapproves of apps which write to the Program Files directory and even provides a virtualization mechanism that would store these files in %APPDATA%/VirtualStore instead. For some reason this mechanism has failed on x64 platform and thus users got the "SQLite error 14: database not found" message. In order to straighten things out I've added this behavior, which is used on both 32 and 64 bit Windows to comply with MS guidelines.
Note that the "portable" mode still works exactly as before because user files are not stored inside of "Program Files".

OK, I get it.

mhf wrote:it would be a big help to be able to open a file on disk and swap between db's.

Cintanotes Developer wrote:Do you mean multiple notebook files support here?

Yes, but it's in the road-map isn't it ?

mhf wrote:An option to look for doubles. Why ? Because when you import a db into the current db, you can get lots of doubles and it's a bore to have to go right through to delete them.

Cintanotes Developer wrote:But exact duplicates are already ignored by import. Probably a minor tag change makes CN consider the notes different?

Yes, it was the tags - some with, some without...

v 1.4 = great.
I really like the 'Scroll long notes via holding the spacebar to "pin" them' feature - something I have always wanted. And of course the 'The editor now opens the note scrolled to the same place in text where the note preview was' enhancement.
Sanchez

Postby Sanchez » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:01 pm

May be we should add a statusbar on the bottom of the window for viewing size of the note, number of rows or symbols, etc?
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/feedback/16299-/

BTW Im already translated CN on another one language and sent it to feedback ;) Thx for the great program!
xandy

Postby xandy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:20 pm

hi

my shortcut CintaNotes.exe -m doesn't work with ver 1.4
cintanotes starts but not minimized
ver 1.3 works ok

thanks
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:57 pm

xandy wrote:hi

my shortcut CintaNotes.exe -m doesn't work with ver 1.4
cintanotes starts but not minimized
ver 1.3 works ok

thanks

Yes this is a known problem: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/feedback/ ... -work-v14/
Sorry for that!

It will be fixed in the 1.4.1 update which is planned for next week.
In the meanwhile, the following workaround is available: create a shortcut to CN and specify
"Run: Minimized". You might also wish to uncheck the "Run with the system" option and put this shortcut into the Startup folder.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:01 pm

ale wrote:Bug... ©2007-2010 Cinta Software should be ©2007-2011 :)

Thanks a lot for the release, I will test in the coming days!

If nobody is doing it I might even attempt an italian translation. Thanks again Alex.

The bug will be fixed, thanks ;)) Glad to see you here, and thanks for the translation! ;)
Alex
ale

Postby ale » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:The bug will be fixed, thanks ;)) Glad to see you here, and thanks for the translation! ;)

Another similar "bug" :D nothing important but just saw it because I updated the translation. There's an hardcoded "Ctrl+F12" text in the language file, maybe you can replace it with "[clipping.default.key]" as in the other occurence in the same file. :)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:45 am

ale wrote:Another similar "bug" :D nothing important but just saw it because I updated the translation. There's an hardcoded "Ctrl+F12" text in the language file, maybe you can replace it with "[clipping.default.key]" as in the other occurence in the same file. :)

You are right.. I'll fix this, thanks!
Alex
Brian

Postby Brian » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:11 pm

Could there be an option that the title is taken from the first line of text only when it has been left blank?

I like how cintanotes takes the title from the browser for clipping, but for manually inserted notes I would like to use the first line.
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:23 pm

Brian wrote:Could there be an option that the title is taken from the first line of text only when it has been left blank?

I like how cintanotes takes the title from the browser for clipping, but for manually inserted notes I would like to use the first line.

Just what I wanted, and is covered by an earlier part of this thread. Extract follows
Q - This only works with clipping, not with copy and paste. Could it be made to work with copy & paste?
A - I'll make the "first line" option also work for the pasted notes in the final release of 1.4.
Nod
Midas

Postby Midas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:13 pm

Add +1 to Brian and Noddy suggestion...
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:42 am

Guys, has 1.4 resolved this issue? Or are there still improvement points?
I feel the the current scheme is not flexible enough. The user should be able to specify the title policy in the following cases:
- Clipping a note
- Saving a note with a blank title (this includes pasting from clipboard)
Alex
mh

Postby mh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:18 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
mhf wrote:Alex - I have doubts about the wisdom or even the reasons behind moving the .db file to the %APPDATA%\CintaNotes directory (directly or indirectly). Could you explain please ?

Sorry I must have poorly expressed myself! The location is moved ONLY if the "notebook.file" (or "backup.folder") parameter is pointing to a location inside of the "Program Files" directory. In all other cases nothing is changed.
Microsoft harshly disapproves of apps which write to the Program Files directory and even provides a virtualization mechanism that would store these files in %APPDATA%/VirtualStore instead. For some reason this mechanism has failed on x64 platform and thus users got the "SQLite error 14: database not found" message. In order to straighten things out I've added this behavior, which is used on both 32 and 64 bit Windows to comply with MS guidelines.
Note that the "portable" mode still works exactly as before because user files are not stored inside of "Program Files".

Hi Alex,
my CN directory is located inside the "Program Files" directory and as a "workaround" to be able to still store the notebook.file and the backup.folder inside my CN directory I wrote a short script which sets the APPDATA variable to the "Program Files" directory before starting CN:

Code: Select all

set APPDATA=C:\Program Files
cintanotes.exe

But when I execute the script the files still get moved to the location inside the original %APPDATA% directory even though I can see the value of APPDATA is changed when I output its value in the script right before starting CN with:

Code: Select all

echo %APPDATA%

Do you have any idea what's going wrong here?
Martin
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:13 am

Hi mh,

this happens because CN uses standard Windows API functions like SHGetKnownFolderPath
to get the APPDATA folder.
Re-assigning APPDATA environment variable is a hack at best, and it's a good thing that it doesn't work.

You shouldn't use Program Files directory for your portable apps - if you do, sooner or later Microsoft will make your life difficult!
Alex
Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:40 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Guys, has 1.4 resolved this issue? Or are there still improvement points?
I feel the the current scheme is not flexible enough. The user should be able to specify the title policy in the following cases:
- Clipping a note
- Saving a note with a blank title (this includes pasting from clipboard)

No, it hasn't.

For the sake of clarity here is what I'm talking about:

When I clip from a webpage or other program I am happy with how CintaNotes takes the title from the source programs titlebar.

When I open CintaNotes and manually add a note via "Insert" and leave the title blank I would like it to take the title from the first line of text in the note.

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”