[Ann] Translating CintaNotes

User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4599
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Language files submission

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks a lot, ElQ! Your translation will be included into the next release as well.
Alex
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4599
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Language files submission

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:35 am

Midas wrote:No biggie right now, but will be when diffing enters the picture, like when new UI features are added and translators need to separate the already translated parts from the yet to be translated ones...


I agree with you that it can become a mess in the future. Actually I would think some online services for crowdsourcing UI translations should already exist. It would ease the burden significantly. But I didn't find any, maybe you know some?

As for XML, when asked to translate from OPML, I found there are free tabular XML editors that serve the purpose rather well (XMLMarker is a very good example; http://symbolclick.com/).

Thanks for this info! Probably it's not too late to change that language file format. I'll investigate the possibilities.

On an unrelated note, you might want to edit the FAQ section of the Help file

You are right, this section should be updated. Thanks!
Alex
Midas
Moderator
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 am
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Language files submission

Postby Midas » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:43 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Midas wrote:No biggie right now, but will be when diffing enters the picture, like when new UI features are added and translators need to separate the already translated parts from the yet to be translated ones...
I agree with you that it can become a mess in the future. Actually I would think some online services for crowdsourcing UI translations should already exist. It would ease the burden significantly. But I didn't find any, maybe you know some?

A few online resources found on a quick search (untested):
  • "The Translate project provides tools to make it easier for you to localise. [...] Our goal is to make your life as a localiser easier, help you work faster and keep your work at a high quality." http://translate.sourceforge.net/
  • "Transifex is an open service allowing people to collaboratively translate software, documentation and other types of projects." http://www.transifex.net/
  • "Google Translator Toolkit is a powerful and easy-to-use editor that helps translators work faster and better. Upload and translate documents, download and publish translations, chat and share translations online, use advanced tools like translation memories and multilingual glossaries." http://translate.google.com/toolkit/

But I do think it's possible to build a community upon local resources and I must reiterate that I really like the QT Linguist approach (http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/linguist-translators.html; check out the bits on Phrase Books...); nonetheless, I do believe that INI is the traditional way -- as in tried and tested (free tools: http://sourceforge.net/projects/initranslator/ or http://www.hexagora.com/en_dw_initu.asp). Maybe ODT (Open Document Format) should be considered, as it is a XML based document standard (and there's a free tabular editor available named Gwennel: http://gwennel.com/gwennel-doc/).

Although I hated it whenever I had to work with it, this discussion wouldn't be complete without a mention of Poedit (http://www.poedit.net/).

And here's an old but still worthy summary of this stuff: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/280260/i18n-best-practices-for-internationalization-xliff-gettext-ini

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Midas wrote:As for XML, when asked to translate from OPML, I found there are free tabular XML editors that serve the purpose rather well (XMLMarker is a very good example; http://symbolclick.com/).
Thanks for this info! Probably it's not too late to change that language file format. I'll investigate the possibilities.

Great! One can't really ask for more, can he... ;)
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
mast3r
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Language files submission

Postby mast3r » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:45 pm

Hey guys,

Yesterday I decided to translate this fine app to my native language, and now I think I have finished and tested it, so I proudly present you the...

Lithuanian translation for CintaNotes!!!

:P
Attachments
lt.rar
CintaNotes Lithuanian language file, v1.0
(3.44 KiB) Downloaded 1471 times
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4599
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Language files submission

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Midas,

Midas wrote:A few online resources found on a quick search (untested):
...
Great! One can't really ask for more, can he... ;)

sorry for the delayed reply, I needed to do some research of my own. Thanks a lot for the
information you provided!
Having considered the different options, I must say I'd much rather prefer an online service that
supports collaborative translations. This way it will always be in an actual state and it will
be clear which translations are obsolete and need to be updated. No file-based translation-tool
can do that.

From the online resources, Transifex looks the most promising. Unfortunately it supports
only two file formats - gettext's PO and QT Linguist. I even considered writing a
web-based solution myself, but had to give up this idea as this would require too much
time. I'm now thinking of writing a small Python script for automatic conversion to/from
lang and po formats. This way we can get the best of the both worlds - all the translation will
happen at Transifex, and there will be no need to change the .lang file format.
So what do you think?
Alex
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4599
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Language files submission

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:05 pm

mast3r wrote:Hey guys,

Yesterday I decided to translate this fine app to my native language, and now I think I have finished and tested it, so I proudly present you the...

Lithuanian translation for CintaNotes!!!

:P


mast3r, thanks a lot for your work! I'll include the translation into the next CN release.
Alex
Midas
Moderator
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 am
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Language files submission

Postby Midas » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:04 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Midas, Sorry for the delayed reply, I needed to do some research of my own. Thanks a lot for the information you provided!

Having considered the different options, I must say I'd much rather prefer an online service that supports collaborative translations. This way it will always be in an actual state and it will be clear which translations are obsolete and need to be updated. No file-based translation-tool
can do that.

From the online resources, Transifex looks the most promising. Unfortunately it supports only two file formats - gettext's PO and QT Linguist. I even considered writing a web-based solution myself, but had to give up this idea as this would require too much time. I'm now thinking of writing a small Python script for automatic conversion to/from lang and po formats. This way we can get the best of the both worlds - all the translation will happen at Transifex, and there will be no need to change the .lang file format. So what do you think?

I think it's great. Why would you want to re-invent the wheel? ;)

It even allows me to use Qt Linguist if I need to... as for file support, bear in mind that those two are quite the de facto localization standards nowadays. So I think your decision will prove you right on the long run.
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4599
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Language files submission

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:35 am

Midas wrote:I think it's great. Why would you want to re-invent the wheel? ;)

It even allows me to use Qt Linguist if I need to... as for file support, bear in mind that those two are quite the de facto localization standards nowadays. So I think your decision will prove you right on the long run.


I'm really glad that you approve of it ;) Now the only drawback in my eyes is that people can't immediately see and use the translation in the program itself, they have to wait for the next release. Also some people still send me translated .lang files asking to update them on Transifex (which I can do just via placing the lang file into the codebase and running a batch file). Maybe in some of the next versions a web-service could be made which would get the translations from Transifex and let people download them in the lang format.
Then a client-side extension could be developed which would use this service to update the translations. But it is getting a bit too far-fetched already.. ;)
Alex
Guest

Re: [Ann] Translating CintaNotes

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Also, one of the disadvantages using the web-based translation is that you can't check how the translation looks 'live' in the program (it's sometimes really useful and more intuitive than using the first word from dictionary). Now you have to guess a bit if the meaning would fit in the section where it needs to be :)
It would be really useful to have the ability to download the .lang file and test it..
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4599
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Translating CintaNotes

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed May 04, 2011 3:32 am

Guest wrote:Also, one of the disadvantages using the web-based translation is that you can't check how the translation looks 'live' in the program (it's sometimes really useful and more intuitive than using the first word from dictionary). Now you have to guess a bit if the meaning would fit in the section where it needs to be :)
It would be really useful to have the ability to download the .lang file and test it..

Hi and thanks for the remark! You are absolutely right, having the ability to test the translation would be a huge deal.
I have a set of python scripts that do that for me. I think I'll try to package them all into a single executable application and provide it as an additional download. It will basically be a command-line utility allowing to do something like that: "po2lang.exe pt_BR.po" (.po files can be downloaded from Transifex).
I've added this to my todo list.
Alex
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4599
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Translating CintaNotes

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed May 04, 2011 5:31 am

Ok good news everybody, I got the tool for converting .po files to .lang files ready!
Now you can easily test your translations, and also you can get the updated translations
without waiting for a new release.

The tool can be downloaded from here:
http://cintanotes.com/files/lang/po2lang.zip

How to use it:
  1. Unpack and put po2lang.exe into the LANG subdirectory of CintaNotes.
    (You need to do this only once, and in case CN is inside Program Files, make sure you are an Admin!)
  2. Login into Transifex and download the .po file with your translation from here into the LANG subdirectory as well.
    (Click on the translation and then on "Download for viewing".)
  3. Run po2lang.exe. It will automatically convert all .po files in the current directory
    to .lang files (warning: it will overwrite existing .lang files with the same name).
  4. Run CintaNotes and select your language from the Options/Language menu. The updated
    language file will be loaded.

I've tried to make it as easy as I could, it probably can be improved and automated even further in the future, but I hope that it will be usable as is :)
As always huge thanks to all contributors!
Alex
Sanchez
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Translating CintaNotes

Postby Sanchez » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:43 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Ok good news everybody, I got the tool for converting .po files to .lang files ready!
Now you can easily test your translations, and also you can get the updated translations
without waiting for a new release.

The tool can be downloaded from here:
http://cintanotes.com/files/lang/po2lang.zip

How to use it:
...

Avira found virus) Crypt.ULPM.Gen2
And please add me to translation team on transifex :)
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4599
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Translating CintaNotes

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:36 pm

Sanchez wrote:Avira found virus) Crypt.ULPM.Gen2

This is a false positive, you can check the file on VirusTotal, no other antivirus finds anything there.
Sanchez wrote:And please add me to translation team on transifex :)

Thanks for helping! Please sign up on Transifex, knowing your username there I will be able to
add the Belarusian team and approve your membership.
Alex
Midas
Moderator
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 am
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Translating CintaNotes

Postby Midas » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Sanchez wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:[...] I got the tool for converting .po files to .lang files ready!

[...]

The tool can be downloaded from here: http://cintanotes.com/files/lang/po2lang.zip

[...]

Avira found virus: Crypt.ULPM.Gen2

And please add me to translation team on transifex :)

Alex, I can confirm that Avira reports the tool as a virus, forcing me to add an exception which is something I'd like to keep to a minimum -- I'm guessing that is due to the packer/encryptor you're using... wouldn't you consider changing it? Alternatively, you could submit the executable to Avira for false positive confirmation...

Also, I sent you a message via Transifex asking to be added to the translator team (same nick). TiA,
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4599
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Translating CintaNotes

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:05 pm

Midas wrote:Alex, I can confirm that Avira reports the tool as a virus, forcing me to add an exception which is something I'd like to keep to a minimum -- I'm guessing that is due to the packer/encryptor you're using... wouldn't you consider changing it? Alternatively, you could submit the executable to Avira for false positive confirmation...

Also, I sent you a message via Transifex asking to be added to the translator team (same nick). TiA,


Midas, I used cx_Freeze and Enigma Virtual Box to get everything into a single exe.
Changing cx_Freeze would be problematic since I use Python 3 and cx_Freeze is the only Python packer I know that supports Python 3 (but maybe already are more of them now).
Changing EngimaVB also - I am not aware of any free or low-cost alternatives to it. Similar apps - MoleBox, BoxedApp cost a lot of money.
I've submitted the file to Avira, hopefully they'll recognize it as a false positive.

I also have made you coordinator of the pt_PT team on Transifex, is everything ok with it on your side?
Alex
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4599
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Translating CintaNotes

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:05 am

Got answer from Avira:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your email to Avira's virus lab.
Tracking number: INC00881743.

A listing of files alongside their results can be found below:
File ID Filename Size (Byte) Result
26386370 po2lang.exe 1.83 MB FALSE POSITIVE

The file 'po2lang.exe' has been determined to be 'FALSE POSITIVE'.In particular this means that this file is not malicious but a false alarm.Detection will be removed from our virus definition file (VDF) with one of the next updates.


Hurrah! :P
Alex
Midas
Moderator
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 am
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Translating CintaNotes

Postby Midas » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks, Alex, everything aOK. Great news! :lol:
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
Sooort
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:21 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Translating CintaNotes

Postby Sooort » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi!
I don't see ukrainian language in https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/cintanotes/resource/strings/, and i don't know how to add this lang there. That's why I add this ukrainian file to my post.

Please add this to cintanotes.
Attachments
uk.7z
(3.97 KiB) Downloaded 884 times
eagleman
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:44 am
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Translating CintaNotes

Postby eagleman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:47 am

Hello, the updated italian language file is available on Transifex.
Any feedback is welcome. ;)
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4599
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] Translating CintaNotes

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:31 pm

Soort, eagleman, huge thanks for your efforts! I will update the translations in the distribution package somewhere next week.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”