Markdown Support

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!
rjkantor

Markdown Support

Postby rjkantor » Fri May 24, 2013 4:33 am

Are there any plans to support Markdown viewing? On my Mac and IOS I have markdown supported notes program. It would be nice to have this support added to CintaNotes.

Thank you,
Rob
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Markdown Support

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon May 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi Rob,

yes, the request to support Markdown is already on the roadmap:
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/145 ... turedtext/

However people are not voting for it very actively - so please vote!
Alex
willgk

Postby willgk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:46 pm

That's crazy to think it's not being voted for. MarkDown would seriously advance the capabilities of CintaNotes to intrastellar capacity, when it's currently already so high on so many lists. (Yes i'm a dork). I'll vote for it!
Bugminster

Postby Bugminster » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:19 pm

I just bought my PRO license and one of the few disappointments I had was regarding the markdown support. I'am also would like it very much, at least for basic formatting: bold, italic, strikethrough, citation, etc. It's becomming a standard in this kinds of software. I hope to see it here in the future.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:53 am

Thanks for your comment!
Yes, we know that this is one of the highly requested features. However we'd like to implement it without having to split the note view
into two modes (markdown source code and rendered preview). Do you have an idea how to achieve this?

Please make sure that you've voted here for this feature:
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/145 ... turedtext/
Alex
Bugminster

Postby Bugminster » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:50 am

I thought that the CintaNotes already distinguishes two modes of visualization: the Editor and the Note as shown in the Main Panel.

I think the importance of enabling markdown is mainly to allow smooth information transfer between different softwares. When you build a huge note database with Rich Text a lot of your information would be exclusive to the software you are working with.

I would probably not try CintaNotes if I could not transfer my notes from the previous softwares I was using. It's the reason I change from Notation to ResophNotes for example, because the second keep my notes in Plain Text files.

Markdown allows meta-data to be embed in the Plain text, making it better future proof.

But I noticed a perk already implemented at CintaNotes that caught my attention in this regard. It already translates rich text formatting to HTML syntax int the Simplenote synchronization. However, if I'm note mistaken, Simplenote doesn't render the HTML back again, but It does so with the Markdown.

So, my suggestion, although I don't know technically how easy or not is to implement it, is to allow the Editor to interpret Markdown to display the note in the Main Panel. It would also allow the note to be correctly rendered at Simplenote. May be the only thing not doable with Markdown and yes with HTML is highlighting and "monospace" the font.

But it's just some thougths. I'll vote for the feature, yes, thanks for sharing the link with me.

All the best,
B.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!
Many points are valid, and indeed the way CintaNotes turned formatting into crude HTML in Simplenote sync was a glaring hole for quite some time already. Of course it would be better to turn formatting into Markdown that Simplenote can handle.
But the issue is, I got the impression that not many people cared about this. We weren't bombarded with requests to fix this.

And now, unfortunately, it not a good time to introduce Markdown support, because we're moving away from a custom GUI framework to Qt/QML for version 4.0, and having to rewrite most of the GUI is a lot of work all by itself. So, even if this happens, not in the near future. Sorry for that.
Alex
Bugminster

Postby Bugminster » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:26 am

I understand. Keep the good job.

Return to “Feature Requests”