Field Sizing

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!
usbpoweredfridge

Field Sizing

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:12 pm

It's not really a bug I don't think, but rather an unintended side effect of some recent UI changes. The tags and link fields in the CN editor now seem to be dynamically resizing. Problem is, when you use a file link in the links field (rather than a http link), the field resizes to be larger, and thus cuts off the tag field. For me, the tag field is more important then the contents of the link field, so I would appreciate an option to reverse this behaviour.
http://i.imgur.com/Vr1sARh.png

Or if the field behaviour has to stay as it is, I would suggest moving the link field under the tags field. So we would have the three fields (tags, links, remarks) in a vertical arrangement, rather than the current 'two side by side horizontally and the third underneath those two'. That way, the links field can expand as wide as it wants without impacting on the tags field.

Chris
Thomas Lohrum

Re: Field Sizing

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi Chris,

i agree and i think the behaviour changed with the latest release. I also suggest to get back the old style and have the link field grow only to a certain degree.

@Alex: Please note, that it is now mandatory to press F2 to edit the link. Again, i like the old design better.

Thomas
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:29 am

There were a couple of link field related changes in 2.9 Beta 1, but neither seem to improve the situation sadly (not they were necessarily intended to, I had hoped that they might though).

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:46 am

Yes, I still haven't fixed this, but I intend to do it in Beta 2. Thanks for patience, and please stay put;)
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:02 pm

Thanks - I figured that those specific changes weren't intended to address this specific issue, so I wasn't too concerned when they didn't. I will be patient - testing the new encryption and attachment features will keep me plenty busy in the meantime :)

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:06 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:@Alex: Please note, that it is now mandatory to press F2 to edit the link. Again, i like the old design better.

Thomas, could you please elaborate what you mean here exactly? Using Enter to edit the link, or something else? Thanks
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:17 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:@Alex: Please note, that it is now mandatory to press F2 to edit the link. Again, i like the old design better.
Thomas, could you please elaborate what you mean here exactly? Using Enter to edit the link, or something else? Thanks

Alex, i am unsure about previous implementations of the link field. With 2.8.5 F2 will edit the link and ENTER will open it. With previous versions the control was an edit-field, right? One could simply edit the content and open the link pressing F7. Am i right? After all i think the current design is ok. Also one can use Alt+L to focus and start editing the link.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:29 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Alex, i am unsure about previous implementations of the link field. With 2.8.5 F2 will edit the link and ENTER will open it. With previous versions the control was an edit-field, right? One could simply edit the content and open the link pressing F7. Am i right? After all i think the current design is ok. Also one can use Alt+L to focus and start editing the link.

Yes, Alt+L works.
So all in all no change is required?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:56 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:So all in all no change is required?

Except, the requested fix by Chris.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:09 am

Ok, roger that! :)
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:11 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread, but has the field size changed again (not mentioned in the changelog) recently (possibly 3.3 or 3.3.1)? Now the tags field is massive, and the links field is tiny. Links field is especially noticeable when you have a local file in there, CN only shows a tiny bit of text, so the field is only about 4 or 5 characters in length:
http://i.imgur.com/r1UETy0.png

I'm wondering if there is any possibility that these fields could be resizeable, so we could just set our own field sizes (which may be the easiest solution)?
gunars

Postby gunars » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:25 pm

The links field in my 3.3.1 appears to be resizing depending on the content. For URLs, it displays the base part, e.g. 'abc.com'. For longer filenames, it also expands.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi Chris, Gunars,

Sorry for late reply.

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I'm wondering if there is any possibility that these fields could be resizeable, so we could just set our own field sizes (which may be the easiest solution)?

Making it sizable by hand and at the same time auto-fit the content would be diffucult.
The problem is that the Link field size grows only for valid URLs. For local paths it stays small - too small. I think I can improve on this, added to the todo list for the next version.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:30 am

Chris, hi,

I'm now looking into this issue and can't reproduce your picture unless "umht" is all the link field contains.
Could you please post the contents of your Link field? Thanks!
Alex

Return to “Feature Requests”