[Viewing] Additonal property -- wrap / no wrap

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!

Vote for or against this feature:

Implement it asap (+2)
27%
Would be nice to have (+1)
64%
I don't need it personally (-1)
9%
Don't do it (-2)
No votes

Total votes: 11
peter

[Viewing] Additonal property -- wrap / no wrap

Postby peter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:30 am

I suggest create a new dialog with a property sheet and allow setting additional properties for notes.
One additional property I want to see is wrap mode.

I don't want list/table type notes to wrap lines.
But I want essay/paragraph type notes to wrap long lines.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Viewing] Additonal property -- wrap / no wrap

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:24 am

Hello,

I think this can be useful. And we are going to need a global option for wrapping or non-wrapping by default.
Or can it be safely assumed that wrapping should be the default option?
Alex
shawnkhall

Postby shawnkhall » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:27 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:And we are going to need a global option for wrapping or non-wrapping by default. Or can it be safely assumed that wrapping should be the default option?

I'd prefer an option to toggle it, much as the focus title/content works now, as well as an icon in the editor (perhaps to the right edge of the title field) to toggle wrapping for an individual note.

Ideally there would also be an option to enable or disable wrapping behavior on a customizable tag basis. For example, notes with tags "x", "y" and "z" wrapping is always disabled and for notes with tags "a", "b" or "c" wrapping is always enabled. When conflicting tags are included it would default to the global wrapping policy.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:19 am

shawnkhall wrote:Ideally there would also be an option to enable or disable wrapping behavior on a customizable tag basis. For example, notes with tags "x", "y" and "z" wrapping is always disabled and for notes with tags "a", "b" or "c" wrapping is always enabled. When conflicting tags are included it would default to the global wrapping policy.

Good ideas, thanks! Only I'm not sure about conflicting tags. Probably it would be better to display an error message and not allow assigning tag/changing tag property?
Alex
shawnkhall

Postby shawnkhall » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:25 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:...I'm not sure about conflicting tags. Probably it would be better to display an error message and not allow assigning tag/changing tag property?

I would never forbid the user from assigning a tag (or other value) they wanted to assign. That's just asking for complaints. Instead, you might consider visual feedback. Maybe make the tags an alert color - like red or underline them - to indicate they might be conflicting, but allow the user to assign them anyway. It just isn't safe to assume that a note would never need to assign conflicting tags. For example, an article I'm working on about a bash shell function has code in it that shouldn't wrap, but I prefer my articles to wrap so I don't have to 'end-jump' to complete my sentences. It's tagged with both 'articles' (allows wrapping) and 'bash' (no wrapping) in the same note, I would expect that the tags wouldn't be forbidden, but at the same time, I'd like to selectively decide in *this* fringe case whether to allow wrapping on a note-specific level. As a rule, though, the second I add 'articles' I want it to enable wrapping and (almost) never enable wrapping otherwise.

I would rather have the wrapping toggle button (the one by the title bar) display a question mark or something to indicate that it's in conflict mode, defaulting to the global policy.

The rules should be in the following order of precedence (highest to lowest):

1) individual note assignment (never propagated)
2) tag conflicts = global preference
3) tag-based preference (propagated for all notes with specified tags)
4) global preference

Thanks again.

Return to “Feature Requests”