[Editing] Inline note editing (#93)

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!

Vote for or against this feature:

Implement it asap (+2)
73%
Would be nice to have (+1)
12%
I don't need it personally (-1)
15%
Don't do it (-2)
No votes

Total votes: 33
luckman212

[Editing] Inline note editing (#93)

Postby luckman212 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi- I want to say first, CintaNotes is amazing! Small, fast, lightweight- perfect little way to jot down stuff during the day. I am using it as a "daily log/work journal" instead of notepad.exe which I used to use before. This is so much better! I have a couple of questions/feature requests:

1) Have you considered adding in-line note editing to CintaNotes? Instead of dbl-clicking to edit it would be quite convenient to be able to edit directly inside of the note list.

2) would it be possible to add a menu option to 'insert current date' or 'insert current time' -- since I title all my notes as today's date, it would be a time saver to be able to quickly pop in the current date when adding a new note. Hey, here's another idea, what about an option to automatically set the title of newly added notes to the current date?

well these are my comments for now! cheers :D
Maya

Re: Inline note editing?

Postby Maya » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:42 am

luckman212 wrote:1) Have you considered adding in-line note editing to CintaNotes? Instead of dbl-clicking to edit it would be quite convenient to be able to edit directly inside of the note list.

2) would it be possible to add a menu option to 'insert current date' or 'insert current time' -- since I title all my notes as today's date, it would be a time saver to be able to quickly pop in the current date when adding a new note. Hey, here's another idea, what about an option to automatically set the title of newly added notes to the current date?

I use CintaNotes in the same way and would also like to express my support for these 2 feature suggestions - especially INLINE NOTE EDITING!!
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:31 pm

luckman212 wrote:Hi- I want to say first, CintaNotes is amazing! Small, fast, lightweight- perfect little way to jot down stuff during the day. I am using it as a "daily log/work journal" instead of notepad.exe which I used to use before. This is so much better! I have a couple of questions/feature requests:

1) Have you considered adding in-line note editing to CintaNotes? Instead of dbl-clicking to edit it would be quite convenient to be able to edit directly inside of the note list.

This could make the notebook view much less clean in my opinion. Additionally, if you have no tags, there is no tag row. How would you add tags, or display a note with no tags cleanly? I think for me it is much better to enter an "edit mode" also to prevent accidental edits.

luckman212 wrote:2) would it be possible to add a menu option to 'insert current date' or 'insert current time' -- since I title all my notes as today's date, it would be a time saver to be able to quickly pop in the current date when adding a new note. Hey, here's another idea, what about an option to automatically set the title of newly added notes to the current date?

see my reply to your other post: http://cintanotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6&p=478#p478
-Todd
luckman212

Postby luckman212 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:28 pm

toddclausen wrote:This could make the notebook view much less clean in my opinion. Additionally, if you have no tags, there is no tag row. How would you add tags, or display a note with no tags cleanly? I think for me it is much better to enter an "edit mode" also to prevent accidental edits.
fair enough, after thinking about it I agree with you. But having it use the create date as the title if the title is empty (as you mentioned in your other reply) would be a great thing.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Hello,

inline note editing has already been requested and is on the roadmap. But it will be limited to only editing the note's body, and will only be triggered on a keypress (e.g. F2, and mind you - no single mouse clicks, to prevent accidental entering the edit mode).

This feature has now rather low priority, so don't expect it anytime soon ;) You can make it higher if you convince me that it will be a real timesaver when compared to a single Ins-keypress or a double-click ;)
Alex

Postby Guest » Fri May 29, 2009 5:14 pm

Inline editing without any prior hot keys is something very high on my wish-list. If you want to prevent accidental edits, give us a "lock" mode of some kind that would keep the notes the way they behave with Beta M9.

Another thing that would become possible: Copy&Paste of note selections, not the entire thing.

Getting notes out of CintaNotes should be as easy as getting them in and without having to bring up a second window. My notes are rarely something I only look at, almost in all cases are they subject to editing.

Please reconsider your priority with this feature.. :)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:24 am

Guest wrote:Inline editing without any prior hot keys is something very high on my wish-list. If you want to prevent accidental edits, give us a "lock" mode of some kind that would keep the notes the way they behave with Beta M9.

Well, I've attached a poll here, let's see how important this feature seems to be for the majority of users.

Guest wrote:Another thing that would become possible: Copy&Paste of note selections, not the entire thing.
Getting notes out of CintaNotes should be as easy as getting them in and without having to bring up a second window. My notes are rarely something I only look at, almost in all cases are they subject to editing.

Maybe I'm being a bit dumb here, but could you be a bit more specific please? What do you mean under the "whole thing"? Do you refer to the program's current behavior for pressing Ctrl+C on a note without opening the editor? Is this #112 from the roadmap?

Guest wrote:Please reconsider your priority with this feature.. :)

Since lately, the feature priorities are determined by 1) the users' votes here on the forum and 2) my estimation of the effort required.
But first we need a well-understood feature definition.

Also, according to the forum rules, feature requests should be made one per topic, so this topic is devoted to the Inline note editing. If you want to speedup the copy&paste feature, please create a new topic for this.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions!
Alex

Return to “Feature Requests”