position/size of new note editor window unpredictable

Thomas Lohrum

position/size of new note editor window unpredictable

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:05 pm

When you create a new note (using the global shortcut) the window of the note editor appears in various sizes and positions for consecutive note creations. I reposition and resize the window. I create the next window and again it is unpredictable where the window will appear and which size it will have. This can become annoying when creating several new notes.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Re: position/size of new note editor window unpredictable

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:42 pm

How about the following suggestion to solve this issue?

When closing any note editor window by clicking the "OK" button and holding the ALT-key the same time, store the position and size of that window for use when creating a new note. An alternative could be to extend the shortcut CTRL+S for saving a note. That is CTRL+ALT+S should save the note and use its position and size as the default for new windows.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:53 am

Sorry but I can't reproduce..
Editors positions are remembered - editor window #1, editor window #2 etc.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:40 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Sorry but I can't reproduce..
Editors positions are remembered - editor window #1, editor window #2 etc.

Hi Alex,

the problem is not about remembering positions of existing notes. The problem is when you create a new note, e.g. using the global shortcut. Where will the window be displayed? It appears it is using some position of a previous opened window, but that can lead to unwanted positioning of the new window.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:02 am

It opens at the editor window position #1.
All first editor windows will take this position, and as you move them, so position moves too.

Are you saying that we should treat the editor window that opens on hot key differently,
and save its position separately?

Honestly, in this case I don't like the idea of extra hotkeys and magic gestures - they make CintaNotes harder
to learn and use.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:12 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:It opens at the editor window position #1.

It opens there, when no editors are opened at all. It opens at the position of the last used note editor window, in case no other editor is opened.

This leads to unpredictable results. The window pops up somewhere on my monitor. The last editor's window position and size must not be a good template for the new note. I would prefer to always open a new editor window at the same position. That allows for customizing.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Are you saying that we should treat the editor window that opens on hot key differently, and save its position separately?

The suggestion to use the ALT-key when saving the note is for creating the template position and size only.

Seems like this issue is hard to describe :(
I hope this could clarify my point :)

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:41 am

I see. Well how about just creating a special position for windows called with "Create new note" hotkey?
So that these positions will be different from the positions of "normal" editor windows?
This way, after you once move the such window to the location you like, it will always open at that location.
Or will it be too obscure? I guess we shouldn't forget Okkam's razor here.
Maybe someone will have another idea?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:32 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Well how about just creating a special position for windows called with "Create new note" hotkey?

Yes, we do need a special position for these windows. Regardless whether they are created with the INSERT key in the notes list or the global create-note-shortcut. Actually i thought i gave an easy solution to this requirement. For defining position and size for those new windows, open any existing note, position and size it they way you like most and click "OK" while the same time hold the ALT-key. No need for special GUI requirements. Users who don't care won't even notice. And users who have the requirement can easily use that trick.

Thomas
metaloop

Postby metaloop » Mon May 28, 2012 6:40 pm

I was having this same problem with 1.6.1 (multiple monitors, new note window location random and often hard to access).

Upgraded to 1.6.2 and the issue has been resolved. Thanks!
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:15 am

metaloop, thanks for reporting back, you're welcome! :D
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”