Date Edit Dialog v1.7

Thomas Lohrum

Date Edit Dialog v1.7

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Bug #1:
Create a new note, don't save it yet. Open the date-edit-dialog. Modify the creation-date. Save the note. Bug: the user entered creation-date gets overwritten.

Bug #2:
After saving the note open the dialog again. Modify the creation-date again. Observe how day+month of the modification date change automatically. Save the note. Modification date remains wrong. Save a second time. Now the modification date is fine.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Date Edit Dialog v1.7

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:28 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Bug #1:
Create a new note, don't save it yet. Open the date-edit-dialog. Modify the creation-date. Save the note. Bug: the user entered creation-date gets overwritten.

I confirm, thanks, will schedule it for fixing (however it won't be fixed before my vacation)

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Bug #2:
After saving the note open the dialog again. Modify the creation-date again. Observe how day+month of the modification date change automatically. Save the note. Modification date remains wrong. Save a second time. Now the modification date is fine.

Modification date is changed automatically to hold the relation CreationDate <= ModificationDate. So this is not a bug: changes in the properties dialog have priority over normal modification date calculation.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:27 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:Bug #2:
Modification date is changed automatically to hold the relation CreationDate <= ModificationDate. So this is not a bug: changes in the properties dialog have priority over normal modification date calculation.

The implicit method leads to strange results. For example change the creationdate to '28.06.2012'. The modificationdate changes to 28.07.2012!!!! This date is in the future, which is no doubt a bug. Thus i suggest to allow me a "loose" editing of the fields and validate only, when i press "OK". In that case, creationdate<=modificationdate and modificationdate<=today, must be validated. Also i suggest to set the focus to the creationdate. In most cases this is what i want to change, when i add a note, that was previously stored in another application. ModificationDate changes anyway when i save the note.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Alex,

please when fixing this issue read my comment as of July 12. Also i suggest to drop the auto-edit feature. Let me enter the date as i like. Another option would be to auto-advance to the next input, e.g. after editing "day" move the cursor to "month". Right now the cursor stays in "day" and that makes it a pain to edit a date value.

Thank you.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:The implicit method leads to strange results. For example change the creationdate to '28.06.2012'. The modificationdate changes to 28.07.2012!!!! This date is in the future, which is no doubt a bug. Thus i suggest to allow me a "loose" editing of the fields and validate only, when i press "OK". In that case, creationdate<=modificationdate and modificationdate<=today, must be validated. Also i suggest to set the focus to the creationdate. In most cases this is what i want to change, when i add a note, that was previously stored in another application. ModificationDate changes anyway when i save the note.

Yes this is a bug, thanks. I was able to reproduce it. We'll fix it and implement the small enhancements you describe in the next update.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Also i suggest to drop the auto-edit feature. Let me enter the date as i like. Another option would be to auto-advance to the next input, e.g. after editing "day" move the cursor to "month". Right now the cursor stays in "day" and that makes it a pain to edit a date value.

Thanks for the remark, Thomas. Well, all I can say it that this is a standard windows DateTimePicker control's behavior. To change it we would need to re-implement all the date parsing and editing what would be very time consuming. So for the time being, I think there won't be too much harm if it remains like this. But we'll try to implement the auto-advancing, I think this can be done just via overriding some functions.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Alex, thank you for the feedback. Another minor issue: please set the focus to the creation date, when the dialog opens. Thanx! Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:58 pm

No problem)
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”