Search is tooooo fast.

JERH

Search is tooooo fast.

Postby JERH » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:52 pm

1. F3 is not working for me. Control F does not work for me. And…

2. Your search is too fast. Bet you never thought you would hear that. When I begin to type a name such as Jasper – it begins searching instantly and I may be able to get as far as typing just Jas before it brings up everything with Jas and stops - does not allow me to type the full name – I don’t want Jas ---- I want Jasper. I have 425 notes and the whole thing stalls. And it won’t let me try to do it again by the full name for about 5 minutes. I think you need to give us an option that lets us type in the entire search word and hit enter or “Go” or something.

3. Also, when I just pick a really long note with addresses, F3 is not working for me. Control F does not work for me. What should I be using if anything to just pick the note, open it and search it alone, not all 425 notes?
SibRich

Re: Search is tooooo fast.

Postby SibRich » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:07 am

Hello,

Thanks for the post. Search and replace in the note editor is on the roadmap, but it's not there at the moment.

What you can do though is search all notes for the term you want (you can use the tag sidebar to filter the notes first). This highlights the occurrences of the search term within the notes. If a note is quite big (not all of the note is visible in the note preview) the number of matches in that note is shown in the bottom right corner of the note. So you can see that this note contains your search term. When you open the note, the first instance of the search term will be highlighted.

When there is highlighted text in a note, pressing F3 searches through that notes text to find any other instances of that text.

Fast search - I am unable to reproduce this. Does this happen with any term that you search for, or just terms that are common in your notes? If you type slowly does this still happen? Is your notebook file located on the local disk?

Having an option to disable Instant Search is a possibility. We'll review this and discuss it with the community. However, I'd like to understand why this is pausing in your case for "5 minutes" ... that should never happen.

Richard
JERH

Postby JERH » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks for your response.

Happens everytime I type in a search - really do need the ability to turn off fast search as an option and let me type what I am looking for and click on Go or something similar. Currently I have 456 notes and I suspect it is trying to search all those notes the minute I instantly begin typing almost on the the first two letters I type. I prefer not to categorize all my notes. I don't use the side bar much. Reason I was initially so happy was that I could lump all my notes and search them all at once. I think my 456 notes to date causes the search to stall the minute it sees me typing a word.

Categories - I don't want to have to think "where did I put the info on such and such"

Really appreciate your listening and responding - thank you.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 am

Hi JERH,

sorry to hear about the problems with the search, and thanks a lot for writing about them.
Richard is right about the F3 and search-and-replace, this is in the plans for the near future.

About stalling - there must be something quite unique about your notes database, since none of us has been able to reproduce this problem.
465 notes is not a very large number, I for example have more than 1000 and the search doesn't stall.
Please tell, do you have any really large notes, e.g. more the 1MB of text? (This could possibly be the reason of the stalling.)
Thanks!
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”