CN sometimes doesn't open default database and loses setting

RSchiaffino

CN sometimes doesn't open default database and loses setting

Postby RSchiaffino » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Cinta Notes 1.7.1 (licensed); Windows 7 64 bit ultimate; dropbox

I have installed CintaNotes and created its default database in a folder within dropbox (I did that several CN versions ago). Sometimes, (but not always), Cinta Notes opens not with with the db saved in the dropbox folder (my default database), but with another database (under My Documents).

Additionally, when CN does this, it also loses the settings I had changed from the default (e.g, using as the title the first line of text instead of the application, and a few others).

When this happens, I have no problem reopening the db stored in dropbox, but then I have to manually go and change the settings to the ones I prefer.

My question:

1) Is there a way to prevent this type of behavior
2) Is there a way to store all the settings in a file to load them all easily, instead of having to change them again one by one?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: CN sometimes doesn't open default database and loses set

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:00 am

Hi and sorry for the delayed reply!
Thank you very much for reporting this!

It is clear that the problem is in loading the correct settings file: when the settings file can't be found, there's also no
correct information of which db file should be loaded.

I have tried several times but couldn't reproduce the problem with loading the settings file.
Maybe you can come up with some explicit steps to follow? Would be a really great help in tracking down this problem!

Also please specify the exact paths where CN and its settings file are located.

Thanks in advance!
Alex
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure about any specific steps to reproduce the issue: most times when I start the computer, CN opens the correct database and my saved settings, once in a while it opens a different database, and any personalized settings are lost. This is not a major bug, since I have always been able to reopen the desired database; it is a bit annoying because when this happens, I need to change again some of the settings.

As regards the exact paths:

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\CintaNotes
Cintanotes.settings: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\CintaNotes
My main database: C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\My Dropbox\Riccardo_Not_shared\CintaNotes
Database that gets opened when the issue occurs: not sure; probably either
C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\CintaNotes
or
C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\CintaNotes
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Thanks for the data. A couple of more questions:
1) Does it only happen on system startup, or it can also occur when you simple start CN manually?
Try for awhile to only start CN manually (uncheck the "Run at System Startup" option).
2) Try to install CN outside of Program Files (say in "C:\Apps"). Does the bug still happen?

Thanks!
Alex
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:38 pm

1) So far it has only happened on system startup... but it is seldom that I start CN manually, so I don't know if that is really significant.

I will try your suggestions (starting the program manually, and installing it outside the Program Files) - which one you think I should try first?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Huge thanks for your help!
The order is not that important, probably beginning with manual start makes slightly more sense)
Alex
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:24 pm

OK, a first result. As it happens, today CN did open automatically with the wrong database, i.e., the bug occurred today.

I changed the settings to not load CN automatically, closed CN (without first changing back to the correct db), and opened the program manually. The wrong db was displayed. I then changed to the correct database, closed the program, reopened it. At this point the correct database was displayed.

I'll keep on using the program opening it manually, to see if the bug recurs. If not, I'll try uninstalling it and reinstalling it in a different directory (BTW, if I uninstall it and reinstall it in a different place, will I need to input the license key again?)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:14 pm

RSchiaffino wrote:I'll keep on using the program opening it manually, to see if the bug recurs.

Good, and how it's been going?

RSchiaffino wrote:BTW, if I uninstall it and reinstall it in a different place, will I need to input the license key again?

Probably not, but might happen. If you find now the "license.key" file and put it near cintanotes.exe, it won't be necessary.

Please keep me posted on how it's going, esp. with installation into another place.
Thanks!
Alex
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:24 pm

I've been using CN starting it manually for over a week, and the issue did not recur. I've now uninstalled it (as per your second suggestion), and reinstalled it under C:\CintaNotes\. I've restored it to loading it automatically on Startup... let's see what happens this way - I'll keep running it like this for at least a week, since this issue did not happen all that frequently.

This is a great program, thank you!
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:59 pm

Still no problems since installing under c:\CintaNotes\. In the meantime upgraded to both 1.8 and now 1.8.1
RSchiaffino

CN has again not opened default database and losed settings

Postby RSchiaffino » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Once again, after a longer interval this time, CN has opened without default database and settings.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:22 am

I see. Thanks for the report.
I'm now preparing a version where detailed debug logging is always available via a command-line switch.
I'll get back to you once it's ready!
Alex
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:44 pm

I see that debug logging is always available via a command-line switch has now been implemented. Could you tell me how to use it (sorry, I'm not really sure how to use command line switches in windows - I have CN automatically start whenever I switch the computer on)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:21 am

This is actually quite simple.
1) Create a shortcut to run CintaNotes.
2) Right-click on it and select "Properties"
3) Add " -d" to the field that holds the full path to the executable, like this:
Object: ["c:\my apps\cintanotes\cintanotes.exe" -d]
and press OK.
4) Exit CN and run CN through the shortcut
5) After something "interesting" happens, exit CN and navigate to the CN folder (c:\my apps\cintanotes in my example) and find there "log.1.txt".
(In case you have CN somewhere in Program Files, check C:\Users\<You username>\Application Data\CintaNotes).

If you want CN to run at system startup and always generate logs, deselect "Options/Startup/Run at System Startup" and put the shortcut created above to the
Start Menu/Startup folder.
Warning: log files can get quite large!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:17 am

Hi Riccardo,
have you already tried the new release? Are there any issues?

BTW in the final 1.8.3 the debug logging is made even simpler - no need
to tweak the shortcuts anymore!
Just select the "Help/Debug/Debug Logging" option.

After the log is created, don't forget to uncheck it back - it's quite heavy on resources and will be
slowing things down if left turned on.
Alex
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:28 am

It's been a couple of weeks without any problem now (since 1.8.2, I think), but that does not necessarily mean the problem is gone (sometime in the past it took a lengthy break before reappearing).

I've not tried the defect logging yet - precisely because of the expected resource hit - if I understand it correctly, in order to log the issue, I would have to have the log on at least until it happens - and I don't want to slow down the computer for possibly weeks. If I see that the problem's frequency picks it up again, I'll try logging, though.

By the way, congratulations for this great tool: I'm recommending it to various colleagues, and plan to write a short article on CN and on how it can be used to take structured notes during translation projects - either for my blog (www.aboutranslation.com), or for some other publication.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:59 am

RSchiaffino wrote:It's been a couple of weeks without any problem now (since 1.8.2, I think), but that does not necessarily mean the problem is gone (sometime in the past it took a lengthy break before reappearing).

Ok, good to know that. Thanks for continuing monitoring ;)

RSchiaffino wrote:I've not tried the defect logging yet - precisely because of the expected resource hit - if I understand it correctly, in order to log the issue, I would have to have the log on at least until it happens - and I don't want to slow down the computer for possibly weeks. If I see that the problem's frequency picks it up again, I'll try logging, though.

It won't slow down your PC, it will only slow down CintaNotes itself, and not THAT much - try it:)

RSchiaffino wrote:By the way, congratulations for this great tool: I'm recommending it to various colleagues, and plan to write a short article on CN and on how it can be used to take structured notes during translation projects - either for my blog (http://www.aboutranslation.com), or for some other publication.

Thanks a lot, Riccardo! I'm really glad that people like you like CN. Any publicity will be very welcome indeed, huge thanks for that.
Now we have discounts for publishing info about CN - but I guess you won't be needing that since you've bought a license long time ago (and thanks for that, too). But if you wish I'd eagerly give you several 50% discount coupons to publish in your article, to make it interesting for your readers.
Alex
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:05 am

Sure, that should be useful to attract people - I'll let you know when I'm ready to write the article
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:10 am

BTW, I've just restarted CN with debugging turned on - just after CN crashed on me for the first time ever. If anything happen, I'll let you know, and will send you the debug log.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:48 am

Wow, that's some bad news.. Please try to reproduce the crash - it's very important to fix it.
Thanks!
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”