database files merged?

dordave

database files merged?

Postby dordave » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:29 am

I'm using Win7 x64/CintaNotes 1.8.1 on both computers.
I use 2 separate files (work, home) and frequently switch between them. I use these at home and work, and the files are synced using Syncplicity. I noticed that suddenly one of the files contained notes from both files (I definitely didn't import the notes manually).

Thanks.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: database files merged?

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:26 am

Hi dordave,
thanks for the report!
1) Could you please tell me the names of both your files?
2) Does the number of notes correspond to the "both files merged" theory? In other words, are you sure that home.db contains now ALL notes from work.db (or vice versa)? Or only some of them?
3) Also, do you have the whole CintaNotes folder inside of Syncplicity-synced folder?
Theoretically something like this might happen if the file cintanotes.settings is synchronized.
(It is better to put CintaNotes outside of the synced folder, and put there only the .db files.)
Alex
dordave

Postby dordave » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:10 pm

1) home.db and work.db - work.db ended having the notes from both databases
2) The number of notes in work.db seems to imply that, I can't say for sure because I don't know exactly when the merge happened.
3) No. A separate folder containing only the database files (no settings, no backups), is the only thing synced by Syncplicity.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Hmm, I'm really at my wits' end, there no way imaginable the two files could have been merged by accident.
Have you copied a note from home.db to work.db? Maybe you've selected more notes than you intended?

This can also be an issue with Syncplicity. I think it might be worth it to see if something like this
will happen with Dropbox or Google Drive.

So, I suggest to wait to see if it happens again. Then probably we'll have more info.
In the meantime, please configure CN to create backups, so that you can easily restore
previous states.
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”