v2 cintanotes registry change internet explorer to offline

william

v2 cintanotes registry change internet explorer to offline

Postby william » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:48 pm

internet explorer goes offline periodically. chased this for several days...not real uncommon according to web. this disrupts other applications using is to access internet.

eg.
weatherunderground gadget
quotes tracker
feedreader [images]
fundmanager updates

i chased infections, system restore, recent windoze updates. best advice was use procmon to log GlobalUserOffline per referenced article. turns out cintanotes was the found cause. refer to attached procmon log. i never noted this behavior in previous version cintanotes. i have backgraded to v1.8.5.

i don't want to sync notes online, but couldn't find way to disable these reg checks.

thanks for forum to describe. i should have been more methodical about testing this, and no guarantees i have found the cause but trial and error seems to lead me to think cintanotes 2.0.0.5 is cause.

oh, and the forum register challenge question proved to be, well challenging. guess i may not be turing ready.

"That means that some other program you have running is setting  GlobalUserOffline.   In order to find out what program that is I would run  ProcMon  filtering on  Path Contains  GlobalUserOffline
Otherwise you could try to deduce which program it is by rebooting in safe mode with networking, making sure that at least you had the Windows Firewall enabled.   (I assume the Windows Firewall still works in this case.)   Or be very careful about what you do in that state because it could mean that you would be running without either an AV or a software firewall.   In any case if the problem didn't happen in that scenario you would know that it was being caused by one of the programs which you had prevented from running by resorting to safe mode.  Then you could just zero in on one through a process of case by case testing.
Another possibility would be to use registry auditing to see if it would track the offending program.   However, it looks like you can only audit changes at a key level.   I don't know how much detail each audit event would show so that you could even infer if it was a change to GlobalUserOffline which would be involved.   Ah.   This article suggests that it does:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cobold/archive/ ... ified.aspx

What OS? windows 7x64
What version of CintaNotes? 2.0.0.5 registered
What window/pane has Focus? n/a
What key combination? n/a
What program and version are you clipping from? n/a
Attachments
sshot-1.png
image of csv procmon output
sshot-1.png (60.05 KiB) Viewed 16882 times
Noddy330

Re: v2 cintanotes registry change internet explorer to offli

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:17 pm

I too have this problem of IE going offline.
Probably coincident with using CN v2.
I did wonder if they were related, but could not decide.
On another PC using FireFox - no problems.
Nod
petepat

Postby petepat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Great find, thx for this.
I started having problems connecting to the game i play, then through troubleshooting i found out that ie (which i dont use) shouldn't be in offline mode, and i wouldn't suspect cintanotes cause i actually use portable version and didn't install it new.
william

Postby william » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:09 pm

i am encouraged others are confirming this experience. unexplained confuser weirdness is concerning. microsoft keeps updating ie for security reasons. i don't actively use internet explorer so i was surprised to find the many apps that use ie for connectivity...though there are some that do not. so i guess this was educational experience.

i am very glad i found something that appears to have fixed the ie offline issue before i did destructive restores. i have long used cintanotes, so never suspected any issues. system restore would have corrected this by replacing with older version cintanotes but i was prompted to update because of the database change and i accepted without thinking.

i run cintanotes out of portable folder. system is windows 7x64 pro.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:58 pm

William, thanks for the report and outstanding detective work!
Sorry for the inconvenience all this has caused.
I confirm the problem and we'll fix it in an update planned for next week.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Please try the new beta - it should fix the offline mode issue:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1482
Alex
william

internet explorer offline looks fixed. v201b1 quick response

Postby william » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:17 pm

[quote][/quote]internet explorer offline looks fixed. works ok all day.

since i twisted a bit discovering long used seeming harmless and trusted app working mischief, i took a moment and prepared unsolicited suggestions for future. posted in general forum.

thanks for quick response. learned more than i want about ie secret links to lots of stuff.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks for letting me know and sorry again for all the trouble!
Alex
Mark S.

Postby Mark S. » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:54 pm

william wrote:internet explorer goes offline periodically. chased this for several days...not real uncommon according to web. this disrupts other applications using is to access internet.

eg.
quotes tracker
feedreader [images]
fundmanager updates

Evernote apparently also uses IE for logging in. It doesn't explain itself very well.

Mark
thompson

Postby thompson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:46 pm

Noddy330 wrote:I too have this problem of IE going offline.
Probably coincident with using CN v2.
I did wonder if they were related, but could not decide.
On another PC using FireFox - no problems.
Nod

I have been experiencing this same issue with IE, and I am wondering if you were able to figure out a workaround so it no longer goes offline. I have been reading Website Hosting Reviews trying to figure it out, but have had no luck so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by thompson on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:10 am

thompson wrote:I have been experiencing this same issue with IE, and I am wondering if you were able to figure out a workaround so it no longer goes offline. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The issue has been fixed. Please download and install the latest version.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri May 03, 2013 7:11 am

Spambots these days are getting smarter and smarter..
Alex
simpak

Postby simpak » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:37 am

william wrote:internet explorer goes offline periodically. chased this for several days...not real uncommon according to web. this disrupts other applications using is to access internet.

eg.
quotes tracker
feedreader [images]
fundmanager updates

i chased infections, system restore, recent windoze updates. best advice was use procmon to log GlobalUserOffline per referenced article. turns out cintanotes was the found cause. refer to attached procmon log. i never noted this behavior in previous version cintanotes. i have backgraded to v1.8.5.

i don't want to sync notes online, but couldn't find way to disable these reg checks.

thanks for forum to describe. i should have been more methodical about testing this, and no guarantees i have found the cause but trial and error seems to lead me to think cintanotes 2.0.0.5 is cause.

oh, and the forum register challenge question proved to be, well challenging. guess i may not be turing ready.

"That means that some other program you have running is setting  GlobalUserOffline.   In order to find out what program that is I would run  ProcMon  filtering on  Path Contains  GlobalUserOffline
Otherwise you could try to deduce which program it is by rebooting in safe mode with networking, making sure that at least you had the Windows Firewall enabled.   (I assume the Windows Firewall still works in this case.)   Or be very careful about what you do in that state because it could mean that you would be running without either an AV or a software firewall.   In any case if the problem didn't happen in that scenario you would know that it was being caused by one of the programs which you had prevented from running by resorting to safe mode.  Then you could just zero in on one through a process of case by case testing.
Another possibility would be to use registry auditing to see if it would track the offending program.   However, it looks like you can only audit changes at a key level.   I don't know how much detail each audit event would show so that you could even infer if it was a change to GlobalUserOffline which would be involved.   Ah.   This article suggests that it does:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cobold/archive/2011/11/29/monitoring-when-registry-keys-are-modified.aspx

What OS? windows 7x64
What version of CintaNotes? 2.0.0.5 registered
What window/pane has Focus? n/a
What key combination? n/a
What program and version are you clipping from? n/a

Nice article that you have suggested.. :)
Craig Borten

Postby Craig Borten » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:54 am

I am facing the very same problem. This is happening after I have upgraded to IE 10. I thought there is something wrong with this version of internet explorer. But, its working fine in some of my other PC’s. Is there any compatibility issues with CN v1.6.1?

Postby Arseniy (CN Support) » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:48 pm

Hello Craig Borten!

simpak wrote:I am facing the very same problem. This is happening after I have upgraded to IE 10. I thought there is something wrong with this version of internet explorer. But, its working fine in some of my other PC’s. Is there any compatibility issues with CN v1.6.1?

Well, these compatibility issues have been fixed a long time ago, please try any CN higher than or 2.0.1 ver.
Here's a link to a newest CN 2.4 - http://cintanotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1666
But i guess it's not the thing you're interesting in :)

Thanks!

Return to “Bug Reports”