Minor Help Typo

usbpoweredfridge

Re: Minor Help Typo

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:52 am

I hope to get started on the next section in the next few days, I have had a couple of real life issues to take care of in the last few days, so I haven't been able to continue on with my read through of the help file as yet.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:10 am

No rush, Chris! Huge thanks again that you're doing this!
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:38 am

Ok, here is Managing Notes!

After that this tag will appear on the Tag Sidebar (see the section below), so you will be able to highlight it, and CintaNotes will display just your research notes.

After that this tag will appear on the Tag Sidebar (see the screenshot below), so you will be able to highlight it, and CintaNotes will display just your ToDo notes.

Pressing Spacebar, Return or Tab accepts the currently highlighted suggestion, whereas Esc or Del cancel it.

Pressing Spacebar, Return or Tab accepts the currently highlighted suggestion, whereas Esc or Del cancels it.

The Untagged label is your natural note inbox which gives you a quick and convenient access to recently captured information that needs to be categorized (provided you are using Tags, of course).

The Untagged label is your natural note inbox which gives you quick and convenient access to recently captured information that needs to be categorized (provided you are using Tags, of course).

This list displays all tags in the alphabetical order.

This list displays all tags in alphabetical order.

The excluded tags will become strikeout with bluish background. Only the notes which have the selected via tag union or tag intersection tags, and which additionally don't have any of the excluded tags, will be shown in the list.

The excluded tags will show as strikeout with a bluish background. Only the notes which have been selected via tag union or tag intersection tags, and which additionally don't have any of the excluded tags, will be shown in the list.

I'm still not entirely happy with that one, but I think my change is an improvement.

The Tag Sidebar also highlights with blue color tags which are related to any tag of the currently selected set. Two tags are considered related if there are notes which have both of them:

The Tag Sidebar also highlights with blue color, tags which are related to any tag of the currently selected set. Two tags are considered related if there are notes which have them both:

Added a comma in there as well.

Only Used - only tags used in currently selected sections are displayed, that is, tags having the use count greater than zero;

Only Used - only tags used in the currently selected sections are displayed, that is, tags having the use count greater than zero;

Such tree-like structure is very useful for creating various taxonomies.

Such a tree-like structure is very useful for creating various taxonomies.

Creating tag hierarchy is simple.

Creating a tag hierarchy is simple.

There was also an additional one that I was a bit unsure about, but decided to leave it alone in the end:

Two tags are related if there exists a note which has both of them.

There was a change just prior to this where I suggest 'them both' instead of 'both of them'. In the one I have changed, 'them both' definitely sounds better - but in this second one, it doesn't quite have that same ring about it. I considered changing it as well to bring it into line (using the same language) as the first one, but in the end, just decided to leave it.

Anyway, Using Search History is next.

Chris
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:44 am

Using Search History was only small, and there was only one change:

This way you can jump directly to the search that you want, not having to click them all through.

This way you can jump directly to the search that you want, without having to click through them all.

Sorting and Reordering Notes was also only small, so here it is:

"Manual" sort mode designates user-defined sorting, this is the only sorting mode where note moving commands are available.

"Manual" sort mode designates user-defined sorting - this is the only sorting mode where note moving commands are available.

Notebooks will be the next section.

Chris
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi Chris,

by working your way through the manual you must have become a CintaNotes' expert by now. ;)

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:09 pm

Chris, great job, thanks! I've updated the online help file. Waiting patiently for "Notebooks" ;)
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:by working your way through the manual you must have become a CintaNotes' expert by now. ;)

Heh - I wouldn't quite go that far, but I am certainly becoming more familiar with it! :D

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Chris, great job, thanks! I've updated the online help file. Waiting patiently for "Notebooks" ;)

I should be able to get to Notebooks in the next day or two. It is only short, as is the next section after that (Sections), so both those should not take too long to get through. Synchronizing Notes is long, but then we have Pasting Notes (short), Linking Notes (slightly longer than pasting, but still not too bad), Exporting Notes (short), Importing Notes (short), Notes Backup (short), Configuring CintaNotes (long), FAQ (short) and Keyboard and Mouse Shortcuts (long).

By my count, that means 11 sections remain - with 8 of those being short (I would not expect anything more than a few minutes on each of those). That's not too bad - once I get on a roll, it should hopefully mean that it should not take much longer to complete the entire document :)

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:41 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:By my count, that means 11 sections remain - with 8 of those being short (I would not expect anything more than a few minutes on each of those). That's not too bad - once I get on a roll, it should hopefully mean that it should not take much longer to complete the entire document :)

Take as much time as you need, Chris, the main point is that you're doing this very important and useful job. Thanks one more time!
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:57 am

Ok, Notebooks! No grammar corrections, but one technical correction:

If you've installed CintaNotes into the "C:\Program Files" folder, the files cintanotes.db and cintanotes.settings will be located at the following path: C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Program Files\CintaNotes\.

That path is incorrect - but there are two possible 'correct' paths:
a. C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\CintaNotes\
b. C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Roaming\CintaNotes\

I think you were trying to imply (a) - as VirtualStore is the usual place Windows redirects Program Files writes to when UAC is enabled. However, I have UAC enabled, and (b) is where my CN files are stored. This would be because CN is now aware of UAC and VirtualStore and reacts appropriately.

Sections is next!

Chris
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:11 am

Sections is done, only a few corrections here:

You can change the section's color via clicking on the little colored box which displays the standard "Choose color" dialog.

You can change the section's color via clicking on the little colored box beside the "Color" field in the "Create New Section" dialog which displays the standard "Choose color" dialog.

(Note that search parameters are not considered part of section's view state and are shared between sections.)

(Note that search parameters are not considered part of a section's view state and are shared between sections.)

What to do if you want to find something, but you don't remember in which section it was? What if you need to temporary combine notes from two sections?

What do you do if you want to find something, but you don't remember in which section it was? What if you need to temporarily combine notes from two sections?

However, this requires you always to remember which section is currently active, even when CintaNotes was minimized to tray hours ago, — sometimes this may be less than ideal.

However, this requires you always to remember which section is currently active, even when CintaNotes may have been minimized to the tray hours ago — sometimes this may be less than ideal.

Tags are global and shared between all sections. So don't be surprised if you see a lot of tags with Use Count of zero when you create a new section.

Tags are global and shared between all sections. So don't be surprised if you see a lot of tags with a use count of zero when you create a new section.

Note also the change of the U and C in Use Count to lowercase.

Onto Synchronizing Notes.

Chris
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:09 pm

Synchronizing Notes:

There are four places in this section which link to the Simplenote website. In the first three, the URL given is:
http://simplenoteapp.com/

That URL now redirects to http://simplenote.com/ and thus the first three links should be adjusted to match the fourth link.

CintaNotes supports two kinds of synchronization: via Simplenote service and via DropBox.

CintaNotes supports two kinds of synchronization: via the Simplenote service and via DropBox.

The downside of this kind of synchronization is that it can sync only to other Windows-PCs, you won't have access to your notes online or on other platforms.

The downside of this kind of synchronization is that as CintaNotes is a Windows-only program, it can sync only to other Windows-PCs, and you won't have access to your notes online or on other platforms.

This one requires a small explanation. I can see what you were trying to say here - but the way it was put, it comes across as Dropbox itself only supports Windows PC's, which is incorrect - it can synch to virtually anything. The reason why this method restricts synching to Windows, is that CN itself is a Windows only program.

2. Make sure that the CintaNotes folder is outside of this DropBox folder (e.g. in "C:\CintaNotes").

2. Make sure that the CintaNotes program and settings folders are outside of this DropBox folder (e.g. in "C:\CintaNotes").

Moving the whole CintaNotes folder inside of your DropBox folder is NOT recommended because:

Moving the whole CintaNotes program or settings folders inside of your DropBox folder is NOT recommended because:

(For advanced users) If you don't care about independent settings (e.g. you use same fonts and screen resolution on each PC), you can put the CintaNotes folder inside your DropBox, by taking out the backup folder using the "backup.folder" parameter of the cintanotes.settings file.

(For advanced users) If you don't care about independent settings (e.g. you use the same fonts and screen resolution on each PC), you can put the CintaNotes folder inside your DropBox, by taking out the backup folder using the "backup.folder" parameter of the cintanotes.settings file.

I did make the one minor change here, but I was not sure what this section was actually trying to say - the 'backup folder' reference is confusing me and I can't quite get my head around it, so I don't know for sure if it is now correct or not. I think it is the lack of context - not only is this the first mention of 'backup folder' that I can recall, but we jump immediately to wanting to exclude it from Dropbox (so why would the program folder be ok to include, but not the backup folder?).

But please allow some time (usually about 2-10 minutes, depending on your internet connection) for full synchronization cycle.

But please allow some time (usually about 2-10 minutes, depending on your internet connection) for a full synchronization cycle.

With DropBox, you will notice them with the appearance of the "conflicted copy" notebook files alongside of cintanotes.db.

With DropBox, you will notice them with the appearance of the "conflicted copy" notebook files alongside your notebook file.

Also, there are inconsistencies in the use of 'Dropbox'. The correct name is 'Dropbox', but in a few places, it is listed as 'DropBox' (note the capital B, which is incorrect as per the Dropbox website). All uses of 'DropBox' should be replaced with 'Dropbox'.

Chris
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:15 pm

I'm on a roll! :)

Pasting Notes to Other Applications - only one correction here:

Pasting notes to other Applications is a commercial feature available only to PRO license holders.

Pasting notes to other applications is a commercial feature available only to PRO license holders.

The 'A' in 'Applications' should be lowercase here.

Chris
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:25 pm

Linking Notes is done. Only two minor things.

Inconsistent case - in some cases 'Note link' is used, in other cases 'Note Link' is used, and yet again in other cases, 'note link' is used. This should be made consistent - as it is technically the name of a feature, I would suggest 'Note Link'.

Please note that for CintaNotes to know where to find the note, the note's notebook should be open in the CintaNotes instance that has registered itself as the "cintanotes://" link handler.

I'm not 100% sure what this part is trying to get at with the "CintaNotes instance that has registered itself as the cintanotes:// link handler.". Is this only for systems with multiple different CN installations? If so, I would suggest:

Please note that for CintaNotes to know where to find the note, the note's notebook should be open in the CintaNotes instance that has registered itself as the "cintanotes://" link handler (for systems with multiple CIntaNote installations only).

Chris
Last edited by usbpoweredfridge on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Exporting Notes.

Choose File / Export main menu command, select "XML" from the available formats and enter the name of the XML file all notes will be exported into.

Choose the File / Export main menu command, select "XML" from the available formats and enter the name of the XML file all notes will be exported into.

Choose File / Export main menu command, select "HTML" from the available formats and enter the name of the HTML file all notes will be exported into.

Choose the File / Export main menu command, select "HTML" from the available formats and enter the name of the HTML file all notes will be exported into.

Is HTML export a one-way operation as TXT export is? If so, it should have the same note added to the end as is on the TXT entry. That is, "This is a one-way export: you cannot import this text file back into CintaNotes."
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Importing Notes - is two lines, is fine ;)

Chris
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:35 pm

Notes Backup - only one change.

The files are written into the main CintaNotes application folder, but can be modified using the cintanotes.settings file (see the "Advanced Configuration" subsection of the next section for details).

The files are written into the main CintaNotes application folder, but can be modified using the cintanotes.settings file (see the "Advanced Configuration" subsection of the "Configuring CintaNotes" section for details).

I much prefer to have something like a section name explicitly stated, reduces confusion.

The abovenamed Configuring CintaNotes is next, but I will leave it for another night - it has a bit of reading in it :) After that, Uninstalling CintaNotes and FAQ will only take a couple of minutes. It will then be onto the last section, Keyboard and Mouse Shortcuts.

I might do the Legal section as well - I hadn't intended to, but a quick glance at it shows one possible grammatical error (and you really don't want any errors at all in a legal section). The reason why I was not going to do it is twofold. First, unless you are a qualified legal practitioner (I'm not), it is more difficult to do legal sections, as words may have a particular legal meaning and may have therefore been used correctly, even though they may look wrong otherwise (in a non-legal sense I mean). In short, don't mess with them unless you are qualified (in a legal sense) to do so. Secondly, legal sections are often a copy/paste of boilerplate text that has been prepared previously, and again, is best not messed with unless you are a qualified legal practitioner. The word I query by the way is 'respecting' - I am not sure that this has been correctly used when read in context with the rest of the sentence (though it may be a legal term which may in fact be correct).

Alex - was this section a boilerplate copy/paste, a translation into English from another language, or was it specifically prepared in English? The answer to that will give me an idea if I should mess with that 'respecting' or not.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Wow, Chris, thanks a lot! This time you've really outdone yourself! :)
I've already applied your corrections.

Now to the questions:

I think you were trying to imply (a) - as VirtualStore is the usual place Windows redirects Program Files writes to when UAC is enabled. However, I have UAC enabled, and (b) is where my CN files are stored. This would be because CN is now aware of UAC and VirtualStore and reacts appropriately.

(b) is correct, as CintaNotes now detects automatically when it is being run from Program Files and uses %APPDATA%/CintaNotes folder for the data files.

This one requires a small explanation. I can see what you were trying to say here - but the way it was put, it comes across as Dropbox itself only supports Windows PC's, which is incorrect - it can synch to virtually anything. The reason why this method restricts synching to Windows, is that CN itself is a Windows only program.

You're right here, and this is a good catch.

I did make the one minor change here, but I was not sure what this section was actually trying to say - the 'backup folder' reference is confusing me and I can't quite get my head around it, so I don't know for sure if it is now correct or not. I think it is the lack of context - not only is this the first mention of 'backup folder' that I can recall, but we jump immediately to wanting to exclude it from Dropbox (so why would the program folder be ok to include, but not the backup folder?).

The problem with putting the whole CN folder into Dropbox is that backups get shared as well, and often this results in either sync conflicts, or corruption. To avoid that, this section told users how to tell CintaNotes to use another folder for backups and not the default CintaNotes/backup.

But coming to think of it, the only real advantage of putting CN folder inside of Dropbox is not having to install it on every PC, and I don't think that this added convenience makes up for the extra confusion and possible sync conflicts, so I decided to remove this tip.

Alex - was this section a boilerplate copy/paste, a translation into English from another language, or was it specifically prepared in English? The answer to that will give me an idea if I should mess with that 'respecting' or not.

I have to admit I copied it from some other software vendor (don't remember now where exactly I found it, but I was taking advantage of the fact that legal texts are not subject to the copyright law and you can copy them freely). Probably we should just try to find a better sample and copy it "as is" :)

Huge thanks once again for your great work!
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:23 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Wow, Chris, thanks a lot! This time you've really outdone yourself! :)
I've already applied your corrections.

Excellent, thank you :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:(b) is correct, as CintaNotes now detects automatically when it is being run from Program Files and uses %APPDATA%/CintaNotes folder for the data files.

Very good, thought it may have been :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:You're right here, and this is a good catch.

Thanks, I was a bit hesitant to suggest this change, as I wasn't 100% sure I was right about what it was trying to say - glad I was :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:The problem with putting the whole CN folder into Dropbox is that backups get shared as well, and often this results in either sync conflicts, or corruption. To avoid that, this section told users how to tell CintaNotes to use another folder for backups and not the default CintaNotes/backup.

But coming to think of it, the only real advantage of putting CN folder inside of Dropbox is not having to install it on every PC, and I don't think that this added convenience makes up for the extra confusion and possible sync conflicts, so I decided to remove this tip.

Ah, yes - I understand now, and I agree with the removal.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I have to admit I copied it from some other software vendor (don't remember now where exactly I found it, but I was taking advantage of the fact that legal texts are not subject to the copyright law and you can copy them freely). Probably we should just try to find a better sample and copy it "as is" :)

Yes, I thought it may have been a copy and paste. Copy and paste of legal texts is quite common in the software dev world, as I guess you would know. In addition to the reason you list, unless you are working for a large company, you are unlikely to i. Be legally qualified yourself and thus able to generate your own text, or ii. Otherwise have the legal resources available (eg a lawyer) to generate your own text :) I have read the section again, and there is only one single word I have issue with - that being 'respecting'. This is the Merriam-Webster definition of 'respecting:

: about or relating to (something) : with respect to (something)

So 'concerning', or 'regarding' in other words. Using that definition, the word does fit the rest of the sentence. However, in my part of the world - though it does not seem to appear in Merriam-Webster as a definition - we have an additional definition of the word respecting (well, 'use' may be a better term than 'definition'). We use 'respecting' in the sense of 'showing respect for someone or something'. In that case, you can see why I don't think it fits that sentence - why would you respect a virus, worm, time bomb or logic bomb (which are the items directly after the word)? I wonder if 'with regards to' would be better - so:

Cinta Software makes no warranties respecting any harm that may be caused by the transmission of a computer virus, worm, time bomb, logic bomb, or other such computer program.

Cinta Software makes no warranties with regards to any harm that may be caused by the transmission of a computer virus, worm, time bomb, logic bomb, or other such computer program.

It is possible of course that people from my part of the world are the only ones to use 'respecting' in this way, so it may be a total non-issue. I just noticed it as I skimmed the text last night and thought I should bring it up.

Huge thanks once again for your great work!

No worries, I shall hopefully finish off the rest in the next few days.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:57 am

Thanks for your comments, Chris!
I suggest we just change the legal line in question to

Cinta Software makes no warranties regarding any harm that may be caused by the transmission of a computer virus, worm, time bomb, logic bomb, or other such computer program.

Would this be correct? For me the line "with regards to" sounds a bit like "with saying hello to .. ", probably because of that "s" ;)
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:36 am

Indeed yes - 'regarding' would be fine.

Chris

Return to “Bug Reports”