Unwanted drag and drop interferes with highlighting

Clairvaux

Unwanted drag and drop interferes with highlighting

Postby Clairvaux » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:57 pm

I routinely highlight parts of my notes. Under conditions which I have not been able to reproduce, it sometimes happens that instead of the expected selection for highlighting, the mouse movements drag and drop text, mangling the note as a result.

This wouldn't be such a problem if the mistake could be undone, however it appears that Undo does not work on text drag and drop.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Unwanted drag and drop interferes with highlighting

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:39 am

Hi, thanks for the report!

That drag-and-drop can't be undone is definitely a bug. Probably disabling text drag-and-drop altogether would be easier though.
Added to our backlog for fixing. Thanks
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:40 am

Hi, thanks for the report!

That drag-and-drop can't be undone is definitely a bug. Probably disabling text drag-and-drop altogether would be easier though.
Added to our backlog for fixing. Thanks
Alex
Clairvaux

Postby Clairvaux » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:32 pm

For the record, I can now confirm that those instances of text being haphazardly dragged and dropped, instead of highlighted as expected, were hardware-related and independant of Cinta Notes. They were caused by a worn-out mouse.

I was unaware up to now that a mouse was susceptible to give out messed up signals because of mechanical degradation. This particular Logitech peripheral also made me believe Firefox was buggy when bookmarking.

Specifically, the difficult to track condition is provoked by the fact that the plastic of the right and left buttons is softer than the plastic of the micro-switches they activate when pressed. After several years of use, this may create a dent on the bottom side of the buttons, where they get in contact with the switches. When this dent becomes deep enough, clicking the mouse has a hit-and-miss action on the switch.

This is particularly treacherous on drag-and-drop actions, where you need to move the mouse while keeping the button pressed. The micro-switch may then alternate in a random way between on and off states, with no relation to the finger's pressure. This creates all sort of unexpected and unexplained behaviour with software.

A known remedy, to avoid replacing an expensive mouse, is to grate the bottom side of the buttons with a nail file, or a Dremel, in order to supress the dent and make the contact surface flush again.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:26 am

That's interesting to know, thanks for sharing!
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”