V.3.7 breaks ability to copy webpage formatting

Clairvaux

V.3.7 breaks ability to copy webpage formatting

Postby Clairvaux » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:56 am

The new drag-and-drop ability introduced in v.3.7 does allow the copying of formatting into Cinta Notes. For instance, fonts, bold text, links, bullet lists and the like are preserved when dragging and dropping from Word Pad. However, drag and drop from webpages in Firefox only copies text.

This behaviour is the same when copying and pasting in a traditional manner, through Ctrl C/Ctrl V. In other words, the possibility to copy and paste formatting and links from a webpage into a Cinta note, which had been introduced in v.3.6, seems to have been lost.

In some instances, in some places of the text (but not all), a few links manage to get through, but that's really random and rare. Copying and pasting from a Word Pad document to a Cinta note does preserve formatting and links, the same way drag and drop does.

Am I missing something ? I uninstalled v.3.7 and went back to 3.6, since this is a big step backwards as far as my uses are concerned.

Windows 7 64-bit, Firefox 53.0 64-bit.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: V.3.7 breaks ability to copy webpage formatting

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:03 am

Do you have a PRO license? Note that retaining of HTML formatting is a PRO feature, it was allowed in some cases in 3.6 by mistake.
Alex
Clairvaux

Postby Clairvaux » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:15 am

No, I don't have a Pro license. Do you mean that drag-and-drop from a webpage into a Cinta note retains formatting and links with v.3.7 Pro, as well as copy/paste ? And that format-preserving copy/paste from a webpage has been taken out from v.3.7 Free ? There is no warning about that in the free program, while other functions that only work in Pro display a warning.

I suggest new functions which only work in the Pro version be clearly labeled as such in the release notes. Also, that functions taken away from the free version be mentioned. It does not matter that they were put in by mistake or voluntarily in the first place ; the result is the same.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue May 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Indeed I understand the cause for frustration. Even though the menu option "Options/Clipping/Formatting/Retain HTML formatting" displays a "license required" message, it's probably not clear enough.

The problem here is also that the activity in question is triggered by drag-and-drop and can't be labeled. I'm really not sure what would be the best way to go about it.

Also to compensate for the trouble caused, I'd be willing to give you a free PRO license. Please send your email address to support@cintanotes.com with a link to this message, and I'll send you the key.
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”