CN changed its language by itself

Clairvaux

CN changed its language by itself

Postby Clairvaux » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Menus just changed to an unknown language. All by themselves. Some commands have retained their original English.

Anyone could hand-hold me to the Language option with blind style instructions (third from left, etc) ?

Also, the forum refuses login. Login > compose post > preview > login again, post lost.

Edit : found the option, changed back to English. Slovak is probably a nice language, but it takes some learning.
Ovg

Re: CN changed its language by itself

Postby Ovg » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:46 pm

You can remove all unnecessary languages from Lang directory to avoid such glitch.
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
CN 3.14β3 LifeTime Pro Licence / Windows 7 SP1 x64
Clairvaux

Postby Clairvaux » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:49 pm

Sure, but then I'd need to do it again at every update, right ?
Ovg

Postby Ovg » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:54 pm

I'm using portable CN and I copy only exe and en.lang when upgrading to the next version.
Clairvaux

Postby Clairvaux » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks, will keep that as a last-ditch option if issue returns. Is this spontaneous language-changing a known issue ?
Ovg

Postby Ovg » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:32 am

I'm using CN for over two years and did not encounter this problem.
gunars

Postby gunars » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:18 am

Hi Clairvaux,

To get back to an English interface, pick Options from the top menu bar - this is the fourth one from the left. On the dropdown menu, pick the last one (Language). The languages are listed each in their own language, with English being at the top. The checkmark on that menu will show you what language you're currently set to. Not sure how this happened though. I've never run into it myself.

Edit: Oh, I just noticed you've solved the problem already.

Gunars
Clairvaux

Postby Clairvaux » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks, Gunars. Exactly what I was looking for.

By the way, this happened a short while after I lost all my settings. I had to restore them, then the language changed.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:42 am

Hi Claurvaux,

Sorry to hear about the issue. Do you have any idea what could have lead to settings being reset in such a way?
Specifically,
1) Did you run into a "disk full" issue lately?
2) Please take a look at the creation date of cintanotes.settings, does it coincide with creation date of enclosing folder?
Alex
Clairvaux

Postby Clairvaux » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:49 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hi Claurvaux,
1) Did you run into a "disk full" issue lately?
2) Please take a look at the creation date of cintanotes.settings, does it coincide with creation date of enclosing folder?

The creation date of cintanotes.settings is older than the creation date of the enclosing folder (which is the non-install install folder of the portable CN program).

I have plenty of space left on my partitions. However, I ran into similar problems lately with other programs : loss of settings, and even language change ! Some folks on other forums have suggested, since I started this thread, that it might be a disk problem, however I ran different extended tests and did not find anything.

How can different application programs lose their settings at around the same time -- and other files not be corrupted ? I don't get it.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:45 am

The creation date hints that the file wasn't erased and then re-created by CN with default settings - so far so good.
Also I assume that you didn't switch to using another Windows user profile.
It's been reported that Windows sometimes can load an empty user profile, maybe this was the culprit?
Alex
Clairvaux

Postby Clairvaux » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:09 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:The creation date hints that the file wasn't erased and then re-created by CN with default settings - so far so good.

Isn't that strange ? How can the settings have been lost, then ? Are there known viruses creeping into settings files and changing preferences, just to annoy people ?

The way I first realised the settings were lost was when my usual, custom highlighting colour was replaced with the original, flashy yellow one. I distinctly remember going into the settings file and pasting in again the appropriate colour code. I may have restored after that an older, backup settings file, honestly I don't remember. Although I don't think so. I think I restored settings manually from the menu.
CintaNotes Developer wrote:Also I assume that you didn't switch to using another Windows user profile.
It's been reported that Windows sometimes can load an empty user profile, maybe this was the culprit?

I do have two Windows user profiles for myself : one non-admin, I'm working from, and one admin, which I almost never use. This does seem to create problems for some programs which are not designed for that, but I use portable CN, so Windows user accounts shouldn't interfere, right ?

Edit : the problem described in your link had all user settings disappearing, with the user being lead into a blank user account. That's not my case. Most of my user settings are still there.
date

Postby date » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Clairvaux wrote:Are there known viruses creeping into settings files and changing preferences, just to annoy people ?
Yes, there is Windows 10. :lol:
Clairvaux

Postby Clairvaux » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 pm

date wrote:Yes, there is Windows 10. :lol:

That's one problem I don't have... you've got to limit your attack surface.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Frankly I'm a bit at a loss here. We need to find some way to reproduce this behavior. Maybe someone else had this problem and would chime in here?
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”