[Managing] Highlight related tags (#163) (Completed in Beta M9)

Vote for or against this feature:

Implement it asap (+2)
No votes
Would be nice to have (+1)
50%
I don't need it personally (-1)
No votes
Don't do it (-2)
50%

Total votes: 4
david_c

[Managing] Highlight related tags (#163) (Completed in Beta M9)

Postby david_c » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:06 pm

FACT:
An increase in the number of tags results in more tag combinations.
This makes things difficult to remember. For example, do some of my notes on "computer" also have a tag name of "archive"?

To avoid a lot of trial and error guessing as to what particular tag combinations are valid, sometimes you need to see ALL the tags that may be associated with a certain category of notes.

A POSSSIBLE SOLUTION:
As a matter of convention, the "first tag" listed is to be considered the "main category", and these will show up in the sidebar in bold font.
[Thus your notes will contain one "main tag" plus one or more "sub-tags"]

Clicking on one of these bolded sidebar tags will automatically flag the sub-tags of any and all notes that contain the same main category tag.
[Examples of the type of flagging: asterisk, highlight, underline]

An added nicety would be to show a count of the number of records that have a particular tag. [The count could be set within parentheses immediately after the tag name in the sidebar].

For example, let's say you just started a CD collection and these are your notes thus far:

NOTE #1:
TEXT: Bach - Brandenburg Concerto #6
TAGS: CD baroque

NOTE #2:
TEXT: Vivaldi - The Seasons
TAGS: CD baroque

NOTE #3:
TEXT: Beethoven Sym. #2
TAGS: CD classical

NOTE #4:
TEXT: Ravel - Bolero
TAGS: CD romantic

NOTE #5:
TEXT: Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring
TAGS: CD
[Notice that in this note, I omitted the sub-tag, so there is only a main tag]

The main category tag for these notes is "CD" because it is listed first.
If you click on the "CD" sidebar tag, the tags will be flagged thusly:

CD (05)
*baroque (02)
*classical (01)
*romantic (01)
*missing sub-tag (01)

All CD notes will still be listed, and all of the sub-category tabs associated with the main CD tag are flagged as such.

You will also have a count of the notes you have for each tab, plus a grand total count shown for the main CD tab.
Since note #5 has no sub-tag, the count is place in the generated "missing sub-tag" count.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Beta M8 Suggestion

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:16 pm

Hello david_c, and thanks for the idea!

First please see the answer which I have given to a similar suggestion here.

The point is, if we treat some tags as "main", it would defeat the whole tag system. We won't be able to apply automatic ABC sort to tags. All tags are equal, and some tags should not be more equal than the others :mrgreen:
But don't despair, 'cause the upcoming tab-based categories .. are exactly your "main" tags!
You will have the tab "CD" and "baroque", "classical" etc will all be tags inside this category.
Alex
david_c

Postby david_c » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:16 pm

I think we agree in concept; just different semantically.
Your diligence and hard work is always appreciated. Thank you.
gravi_t

Postby gravi_t » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:11 am

The previous feature suggestions topic seems to be inactive so I'll repost my suggestions here:

- the ability to select text while in list view (so that you don't need to open the note)
- more options (bigger choice) when setting hot keys, e.g. backspace-F12 to display the main window -- much easier to press than Alt-Ctrl-F12
- make the Ctrl up/down search selection go in a circle: I mean pressing Ctrl-F and then Ctrl-up should go to "search tags"
- the colour themes should include stronger colours as well
- 3 presets for text clipping (maybe with different hotkeys too): 1) use application's name as title, 2) use first line of clipped text as title and 3) leave title blank
- when editing a note, these buttons should be there bottom right: "Save", "Cancel", "Save & close", and in this order, so that we are less likely to accidentally discard a longer editing session
- the transfer of notes between notebooks to be done with a drop-down menu, and with the options of "copy" and "move" (I would not like drag&drop to slow down the prog)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:02 am

Hi gravi_t, thanks for posting and sorry didn't get to you earlier,

gravi_t wrote:The previous feature suggestions topic seems to be inactive so I'll repost my suggestions here:

it would be even better to create a new topic, but nonetheless:

- the ability to select text while in list view (so that you don't need to open the note)
Was already requested, is on the roadmap

- more options (bigger choice) when setting hot keys, e.g. backspace-F12 to display the main window -- much easier to press than Alt-Ctrl-F12
I don't think that's really necessary. If Ctrl+F12 is not convenient for you, try Win+C. CintaNotes now allows to assign hotkeys that many other programs can't (try to assign Win + N to launching Notepad in it's shortcut properties, for example).
What CintaNotes offers now is the limit of the Windows' RegisterHotkey API. Going beyond that would mean installing a low-level keyboard hook and processing all user input, and that IMO would be an overkill.

- make the Ctrl up/down search selection go in a circle: I mean pressing Ctrl-F and then Ctrl-up should go to "search tags"
Would anyone second this? I don't think that's a good idea, since it removes the reference point: now I can press-and-hold Ctrl+Down to go to "Tags" and Ctrl+Up to go to "Anywhere". Circular navigation would remove that. Moreover, you can press Ctrl+PgDn to go straight to "Tags" search, and "Ctrl+PgUp" for Anywhere.

- the colour themes should include stronger colours as well
The request for more color customization option has already been filed, is on the roadmap.

- 3 presets for text clipping (maybe with different hotkeys too): 1) use application's name as title, 2) use first line of clipped text as title and 3) leave title blank
Good idea, I agree this should be configurable. 've put it on the roadmap.

- when editing a note, these buttons should be there bottom right: "Save", "Cancel", "Save & close", and in this order, so that we are less likely to accidentally discard a longer editing session
This is a more complex UI with no obvoius advantage except that "Cancel" is harder to press accidentally. We should go from the problem here, and the problem is "if I accidentally press Cancel or Esc, all my editing is lost". The possibility to retrieve last unsaved edit would be a better option, IMO. Will put it on the roadmap.

- the transfer of notes between notebooks to be done with a drop-down menu, and with the options of "copy" and "move" (I would not like drag&drop to slow down the prog)
Well, drag and drop, when properly implemented, doesn't incur that much of a slowdown. But what do you mean by "notebooks" here?
Alex
gravi_t

Postby gravi_t » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:10 am

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try the hotkeys you suggested.

"make the Ctrl up/down search selection go in a circle: I mean pressing Ctrl-F and then Ctrl-up should go to "search tags"
Would anyone second this? I don't think that's a good idea, since it removes the reference point"

OK, fair enough

"the transfer of notes between notebooks to be done with a drop-down menu, and with the options of "copy" and "move" (I would not like drag&drop to slow down the prog)
Well, drag and drop, when properly implemented, doesn't incur that much of a slowdown. But what do you mean by "notebooks" here?"

By notebooks I mean the future feature of tabbed display - multiple sets of notes. As for drag&drop, As I said, it's fine with me, as long as it does not use up memory.

"This is a more complex UI with no obvoius advantage except that "Cancel" is harder to press accidentally. We should go from the problem here, and the problem is "if I accidentally press Cancel or Esc, all my editing is lost". The possibility to retrieve last unsaved edit would be a better option, IMO. Will put it on the roadmap."

Yes, I've been thinking about this one since, and I have a new idea: what do you think of keeping the two buttons, but renaming them to "Close" and "Save & Close". That would make it pretty clear what they do.

Colours: I don't really need more colours, these are fine, I'd just like them to be stronger/brighter.

And thanks for giving my ideas a thought and putting some of them on the roadmap.

Return to “Completed Feature Requests”