I don't need it personally (-1)
No votes
Don't do it (-2)
10%

Total votes: 20
david_c

[Search] Tag Filtering (#177)

Postby david_c » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:40 pm

As it now stands, the manner in which you "AND" (i.e., tag intersection) a tag filter is neither convenient, nor intuitive.

I offer two methods that would make it easier to switch between "AND"ing and "OR"ing the filtered result of any "tag selections":

Method 1:
Use a function key (F6?) as a toggle between the two modes ("AND" / "OR).
The default behavior is "OR" the results (just as it is now). Press F6 could to "AND" the search result. Press F6 again to return to "OR" mode.

PROS: Quick and simple keyboard entry.
CONS: May require some kind of visual indicator as to what "filter mode" you are in.

Method 2:

Add a single "radio button" to the menu (or at the top of the sidebar) if you want to switch to "AND" filter mode.

PROS: Provides a visual aid
CONS: Not keyboard accessible
Noddy330

Re: Tag Filtering suggestion

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:06 am

david_c wrote:As it now stands, the manner in which you "AND" (i.e., tag intersection) a tag filter is neither convenient, nor intuitive.

I offer two methods that would make it easier to switch between "AND"ing and "OR"ing the filtered result of any "tag selections":

Method 1:
The default behavior is "OR" the results (just as it is now). Press F6 could to "AND" the search result. Press F6 again to return to "OR" mode.

CONS: May require some kind of visual indicator as to what "filter mode" you are in.

Method 2:

Add a single "radio button" to the menu (or at the top of the sidebar) if you want to switch to "AND" filter mode.

You can AND notes by CTRL + Click on TagLIst
Seems OK to me
Nod
GiddyAunt

Postby GiddyAunt » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:01 pm

I'd be interested to hear from the developer why the tag filtering currently works using OR rather than AND. For me on M8.1 ctrl+click is giving all notes with either tag not both as stated in the previous post

To me AND seems the logical way to go but maybe that is just a personal preference.( for a good example of AND filtering in use, see the indispensible firefox addon tagsifter, a huge time saver for me ).

As the number of notes and tags increases, quick filtering down to just the notes with all required tags would seem to be a useful feature to me. Personally I'd add it as a user preference rather than looking to switch between the two modes dynamically.

I've been looking for one note taking app to rule them all for some time now. With the current feature set and the planned updates I'd have to say Cintanotes is looking like a good prospect - keep up the good work.
david_c

Postby david_c » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:19 pm

Noddy330 wrote:You can AND notes by CTRL + Click on TagLIst
Seems OK to me

Not true! Selecting multiple tags from the sidebar only "OR"s the result.
The following is taken from "CN Help":

Clicking on a tag activates it, and only notes having this tag will be displayed. Using Ctrl+Click, you can expand the tag selection to additional tags. Keep in mind that tag union is used when multiple tags are selected (i.e. notes having any of the selected tags will be included.)

If you want tag intersection (to display only notes having all of the needed tags), pick one of the tags from the tag sidebar, switch to the tag search mode and enter other tags into the search box.
david_c

Postby david_c » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:32 pm

GiddyAunt wrote:I'd be interested to hear from the developer why the tag filtering currently works using OR rather than AND.

Regardless of what mode is used as the default, there should be a straight forward way to switch between the 2 modes.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:58 am

GiddyAunt wrote:I'd be interested to hear from the developer why the tag filtering currently works using OR rather than AND. For me on M8.1 ctrl+click is giving all notes with either tag not both as stated in the previous post

To me AND seems the logical way to go but maybe that is just a personal preference.( for a good example of AND filtering in use, see the indispensible firefox addon tagsifter, a huge time saver for me ).

As the number of notes and tags increases, quick filtering down to just the notes with all required tags would seem to be a useful feature to me. Personally I'd add it as a user preference rather than looking to switch between the two modes dynamically.

I've been looking for one note taking app to rule them all for some time now. With the current feature set and the planned updates I'd have to say Cintanotes is looking like a good prospect - keep up the good work.

Thanks! The explanation _why_ is quite simple:
1) I realized from the get-go that both AND and OR are needed;
2) AND was already possible since M7.2 with multiple tag search;
3) I didn't have time to do both, and implementing OR was easier.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:15 am

david_c wrote:As it now stands, the manner in which you "AND" (i.e., tag intersection) a tag filter is neither convenient, nor intuitive.

Method 1:

Method 2:

Thanks for the useful suggestion!
Unfortunately none of the two methods is perfect, since each of them introduces a MODE.
And if I've learnt something from Jeff Raskin, is that having modes is worse than not having them (ever tried using numpad with numlock off?)

I suggest the following solution, and would like to hear what do you think of it:
1) Ctrl+Clicking on tag will mean AND (not OR like now)
2) Alt+Clicking on a tag will mean OR.
3) OR will bind tighter than AND (this is more convenient than the opposite)

The tags which belong to the same OR-group will have different color or other visual indication.

Example:
1) All notes with "cintanotes" and "review" tags:
Click on "cintanotes" + Ctrl-click on "review"
2) All notes with "review" or "request" tags:
Click on "review" + Alt-click on "request"
3) Notes with "cintanotes" tag having either "review" or "request" tag:
Click on "cintanotes", ctrl-click on "review", alt-click on "request".
4) Notes with "cintanotes" and "review" tags or notes with "fun" and "it" tags
- No way. Do you really need this?

PROS:
No hidden modes, no options.
If you just need AND, you can forget about alt-click altogether.
If you just need OR, forget about ctrl-click.
Allows more powerful expressions than simple AND/OR switch.

CONS:
Higher learning curve
OR having precedence over AND might require getting used to.
Alex
david_c

Re: [Suggestion] Tag Filtering

Postby david_c » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:49 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:The tags which belong to the same OR-group will have different color or other visual indication.

Yes! Good!

CintaNotes Developer wrote:CONS:
Higher learning curve

Small price to pay. (I suppose you could use a footnote or something. Would that be too ugly?)
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:22 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:

Method 1:

Method 2:

Thanks for the useful suggestion!
Unfortunately none of the two methods is perfect, since each of them introduces a MODE.
And if I've learnt something from Jeff Raskin, is that having modes is worse than not having them (ever tried using numpad with numlock off?)

I suggest the following solution, and would like to hear what do you think of it:

The tags which belong to the same OR-group will have different color or other visual indication.

Example:
1) All notes with "cintanotes" and "review" tags:
Click on "cintanotes" + Ctrl-click on "review"
2) All notes with "review" or "request" tags:
Click on "review" + Alt-click on "request"
3) Notes with "cintanotes" tag having either "review" or "request" tag:
Click on "cintanotes", ctrl-click on "review", alt-click on "request".
4) Notes with "cintanotes" and "review" tags or notes with "fun" and "it" tags
- No way. Do you really need this?

PROS:
No hidden modes, no options.
If you just need AND, you can forget about alt-click altogether.
If you just need OR, forget about ctrl-click.
Allows more powerful expressions than simple AND/OR switch.

CONS:
Higher learning curve

Hmm...
Can't decide on this...
But it needs to be consistent with SEARCH
and using SEARCH with Tag Sidebar
Nod
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:57 pm

This makes perfect sense to me and gets my vote! The logic works like CTRL clicking to select multiple files from Windows Explorer, etc.
-Todd
alta

Postby alta » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:38 pm

toddclausen wrote:

This makes perfect sense to me and gets my vote! The logic works like CTRL clicking to select multiple files from Windows Explorer, etc.

1 and 3 get my vote too
what about allowing to use AND and OR as keywords in the search area ?
something like : tag1 AND tag2 OR tag3
keeping : tag1 tag2 = tag1 AND tag2
?

Return to “Completed Feature Requests”