[Viewing] Minimum displayed text lines (#209)

Vote for or against this feature:

Implement it asap (+2)
55%
Would be nice to have (+1)
45%
I don't need it personally (-1)
No votes
Don't do it (-2)
No votes

Total votes: 11
ale

[Viewing] Minimum displayed text lines (#209)

Postby ale » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:11 am

At the moment CN has a setting for a maximum number of displayed lines and at the same time it shows less lines for notes where the number of lines is < than the number of maximum lines.

On the other hand I was thinking from a lot of time that some data sets might benefit from a fixed number of displayed lines in the list, and some users might find it more polished or better from a usability point of view. But I didn't find till now a way to make a suggestion that could live together with the actual settings, with the other suggestions and that would not require a lot of work from Alex...

:idea: Now the idea came, if we introduce a "Minimum displayed text lines" we would have the flexibility to accomodate both desires

So some examples, with semirandom numbers:

Minimum set to 0, maximum set to 0 we only see titles
Minimum set to 0, maximum set to 15, a bit like it is now
Minimum set to 5, maximum set to 15, it would be different and possible only with the new settings
Minimum set to 10, maximum set to 10, or anyway minimum = maximum, here's the setting for the fixed number of lines I was after :)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Viewing] Minimum displayed text lines

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:24 am

I think this is a good idea, the feature is organic, self-evident and might really be useful for some use cases.
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:49 am

Sounds useful.
Nod
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:39 am

Min=0 and max=0 sounds similar to #132.
Nod
ale

Postby ale » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:13 am

Noddy330 wrote:Min=0 and max=0 sounds similar to #132.
Nod

I think min=0 and max=0 it's the same of the actual max=0 and it's the setting to hide the body of a note. I made a bad example speaking about the default CN behaviour we have today because CN does not hide empty bodies of notes so now the default it's a kind of min=1 max=15

#132 is about hiding the tags of a note if I understood correctly, and I read about your use of titles and empty bodies as a to-do list and I liked it (it's a candidate for another "goodie") :) in fact I tried the setting max=0 and I was surprised because it's the most compressed view and still useful if we express well ourselves with titles. So I think #132 still apply, especially if you would like a toggle that needs to be applied with ease and in a fast way. Actually when I tried max=0 in my experiments, I was going to suggest to hide tags in list view but you already suggested it :) the other minor thing I thought when I saw that compressed view was to vertically align dates between notes but it was very minor and I didn't suggest it.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:10 am

Added a poll
Alex
supulton

Postby supulton » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:22 am

I really like the idea. Simple yet flexible.

Return to “Completed Feature Requests”