[Managing] Multi-term tags ?

mhf

[Managing] Multi-term tags ?

Postby mhf » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:08 pm

This is not a big deal but I was wondering if it were possible to introduce multi-term tags :
for example, I might want to create a tag called my new tag but at present that creates three tags = my, new and tag. This is fair enough when you want to have three separate tags pointing to the same note but sometimes I would like to have a more descriptive tag (I know you can use my_new_tag as a work-around).
Of course this would mess up being able to add separate tags to notes but there might be a way via options ?

Anyway thanks again for a fantastic application !
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Multi-term tags ?

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:28 am

Thanks for the suggestion!
But some explanation is due here.
When I was designing the tag system, I had three options:
1) Allow spaces inside of tags, and use some symbol like comma as tag separator;
2) Use space as tag separator and resort to underscore or hyphen for multi-word tags: my_tag or my-tag;
3) Use space as tag separator and demand to quote tags that have space inside: "my tag".

After considering all pros and cons, I decided to go for option 2 as
- simple to understand and use - any usual tag separator will work (will be autoconverted to space);
- fast and convenient for entering many tags;
- non limiting functionally, only a bit esthetically;
- easy to implement.

As they say, any UI design problem can be solved via introducing an option, except of the problem of having too many options :mrgreen: .
I've made my choice ;) And sorry but I'm not going to review it unless I have loads of feedback stating that the tag system needs redesign
(a poll could do it, so go ahead).
Hope this helps!
Alex
mhf

Postby mhf » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:08 am

Thanks Alex,
the tag system certainly doesn't need redesigning, I quite understand - I'll just go_on_with_hyphens !
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:00 pm

Great that you understand that rationale behind this design ;) Please don't hesitate to make more suggestions ;)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:50 pm

And by the way, if you really really want spaces in tags, you can still have them..
But with a little twist:
you can use the "hard space" (Alt + 0160 on the numeric keypad) to enter this symbol.
It looks just like space, but has a different code, so it won't be treated as tag separator.

Not very convenient, I know. But still)
Alex
mhf

Postby mhf » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:05 pm

Thanks again Alex - that's perfect !

Return to “Completed Feature Requests”