[Ann] CintaNotes 2.9.1 Beta 1

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 2.9.1 Beta 1

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:30 pm

Jun 19, 2015 - Version 2.9.1 Beta 1

In this version:

Enhancements:
  • Added automatic file link tracking. Now links to files continue to work even after you move files to another folder, or rename them.
    This concerns links inserted by the "Insert Link To / File" command in the note editor, and also any links to files in the "Link" field.
    (Note: This works only within a single disk volume on NTFS drives, and is implemented via creating Windows shortcuts in the "cache\filelinks" subdirectory). This feature can be turned off by the "editor.links.filelinktracking.enabled" option in cintanotes.settings)

Fixes:
  • Fixed crash upon startup with error about SessionNotifier when Terminal Services are disabled
  • Fixed crash after printing a note from the editor and closing it
  • Notes list: wrong search highlight of matches in date/time fields
  • Search doesn't treat German umlauts as different from same letters without umlauts
  • Notebook encryption: password dialog displayed after notebook reload
  • Simplenote sync: disappearing angle bracket
  • Middle-click tagging reverted when an already opened note is saved
  • Editor: links not recognized after cut and undo
  • Non-white background was treated as highlight

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_2_9_1_Beta1_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_2_9_1_Beta1.zip

WARNING - Beta Software! Use at own risk and always backup your data first!
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.9.1 Beta 1

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi Alex,

as usual thanks for the latest update :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:[b]Enhancements:Added automatic file link tracking.

I moved a file to a different folder and was able to open it thereafter :) However i noticed two issues. First, the hint to the link (when you hover the mouse above the text) will still show the old (original) path. Second, when you edit the link it will also point to the original location. Both issues are irritating. The latter however, can cause problems, because one is not able to understand, where the file is located at the present. Btw., seems like you introduced a new mapping table to file links to support this feature without the need to update related notes.

This very nice small enhancements also recognizes, when the file gets renamed, but remains in the same folder (i know this is related to the movefile api) :)

In case the file gets deleted one will get the usual error message. An even more advanced algorithm could even tell the user, that the file got actually deleted. However, this will work only on links created started with CN 2.9.1. Also it won't work, when CN was not active at deletion time. But this is true for the moving of files also.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Search doesn't treat German umlauts as different from same letters without umlauts

I confirm this works as desired now.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Editor: links not recognized after cut and undo

I was able to reproduce the issue by doing the following:
cut and undo a file link => ok in 2.9.0
cut and undo a url link in the same note thereafter => break file link in 2.9.0 => fixed in 2.9.1
I think this fixes some of the issues i had reported earlier :)

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Broken features

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Alex,

i've just re-installed 2.9 for the following reasons:

* Some shortcuts got broken :( For example Ctrl+Arrow-Up/Down, Shift+F6, Alt+R and Alt+L won't function anymore.
* Undo behaves strange (could be related to broken shortcuts???)

Undo Example

I pasted the following text (text within quotes) to a new note and pressed Alt+BkSpace. 2.9 will remove the entire block. 2.9.1 however, will remove the text using three steps only.

"What is runtime.js?

runtime.js is an open-source library operating system for the cloud that runs JavaScript, could be bundled up with an application and deployed as a lightweight and immutable VM image.
http://runtimejs.org/"

I did not check for other broken features for this was an immediate no go to me.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:05 am

Hi Thomas, thanks for taking a look!

Thomas Lohrum wrote:This very nice small enhancements also recognizes, when the file gets renamed, but remains in the same folder (i know this is related to the movefile api) :)

That's all done by Windows shortcuts ;) CN just makes them in the "cache/filelinks" folder under the hood..

Thomas Lohrum wrote:In case the file gets deleted one will get the usual error message. An even more advanced algorithm could even tell the user, that the file got actually deleted. However, this will work only on links created started with CN 2.9.1. Also it won't work, when CN was not active at deletion time. But this is true for the moving of files also.

I think that "file is not found" is a good enough clue that file might have been deleted ;)

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I confirm this works as desired now.

Great!

Thomas Lohrum wrote:cut and undo a url link in the same note thereafter => break file link in 2.9.0 => fixed in 2.9.1
I think this fixes some of the issues i had reported earlier :)

Nice, thanks!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Broken features

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:10 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Some shortcuts got broken :( For example Ctrl+Arrow-Up/Down, Shift+F6, Alt+R and Alt+L won't function anymore.

Can't reproduce. They function for me on 2.9.1b1-Jun19 using your cintanotes.settings file.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Undo behaves strange (could be related to broken shortcuts???)

Can't reproduce either. Did you paste plain text, or copied it from web browser?
But it works for me both ways..

To be sure that we use the same version, I bundled up 2.9.1b1 again and uploaded here:

http://cintanotes.com/files/debug/Cinta ... _Beta1.zip
http://cintanotes.com/files/debug/Cinta ... _Setup.exe
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:20 am

I am using the version of CN that was provided in the original post, which I downloaded shortly after the post was made (ie am not using the version that Alex has bundled again). I get the same results as Alex - ie no problems.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:For example Ctrl+Arrow-Up/Down, Shift+F6, Alt+R and Alt+L won't function anymore.

All those work fine here.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I pasted the following text (text within quotes) to a new note and pressed Alt+BkSpace. 2.9 will remove the entire block. 2.9.1 however, will remove the text using three steps only.

Also works fine, only takes one single press here.

No idea what the problem is - but the original download was fine I think (or at least the copy I got of it was).

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Editor: links not recognized after cut and undo

Yep, confirm fixed, thanks.

Chris
Thomas Lohrum

Re: Broken features

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:32 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:Some shortcuts got broken :( For example Ctrl+Arrow-Up/Down, Shift+F6, Alt+R and Alt+L won't function anymore.
Can't reproduce. They function for me on 2.9.1b1-Jun19 using your cintanotes.settings file.

I reinstalled the setup i had downloaded on June 20. Today i encounter no problems. I have no clue what caused these problems. Especially for the problems immediately disappeared after reinstalling 2.9 (no reboot in the meantime). I'll have an eye on it. Very strange!

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:22 am

Chris, thanks for your input!

Thomas, I wonder what this could have been.. meanwhile I'm going to release 2.9.1 now since there's been no other problem reports.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:27 am

Thomas, sorry forgot to address a couple of issues that you pointed out earlier.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:First, the hint to the link (when you hover the mouse above the text) will still show the old (original) path.

This is by design. I didn't want the feature to modify the links, I wanted that the file could be found even if it had been moved or renamed.
Modification of the link is more tricky since the DB could be read-only etc. Also there's the question if the modification date should be updated.
However it will be no problem to implement this in future if there's significant demand for it.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Second, when you edit the link it will also point to the original location. Both issues are irritating.

This is a direct consequence of the first issue.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:41 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:First, the hint to the link (when you hover the mouse above the text) will still show the old (original) path.
This is by design. I didn't want the feature to modify the links, I wanted that the file could be found even if it had been moved or renamed.

How can i find a file that has moved? Nevertheless, i had expected the hint to show the new location of the file.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Modification of the link is more tricky since the DB could be read-only etc. Also there's the question if the modification date should be updated.

No need to update any notes on file movement. It is ok to reflect the new location when opening the note.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:43 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:How can i find a file that has moved? Nevertheless, i had expected the hint to show the new location of the file.

Well you can click on a link and see which file gets opened.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:No need to update any notes on file movement. It is ok to reflect the new location when opening the note.

No no, this will create spurious note modifications. IMO the only good moment for updating the link is when the link is activated.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”