Why the current pricing?

GaryF

Why the current pricing?

Postby GaryF » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:28 pm

HI
I've been looking at Evernote which aside from letting you add images to notes, has a huge range of features. I've always liked Cintanotes for it's simplicity, but now I'm getting used to Evernote who's free version lets you add images, audio files and so so much more than Cintanotes, I'm beginning to wonder about my decision.
Evernote is also portable which is a priority for me but looking at the two programs you charge more for a licence for yours then Evernote do yet Evernote offer far more in their program.
At this stage I'm not criticising your pricing structure, I am on the verge of paying for more features and I can't yet see a reason to stay with Cintanotes despite using it for years. So I'm hoping you can point out what I would get that's extra for the extra money?
ChrisCN

Re: Why the current pricing?

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi GaryF

I think this strongly depends only on one thing -> you.

There is a free version of cinta notes and there is a free version of evernote
and there are more expensive options for both programs.

I tried Evernote in the past and it was not what I was searching for.
Since years I have tried many programs that should help me to get control over information.
CintaNotes is the one I have been using for the longest time and I don't see a reason to not use it for the years to come.

There is room for both programs and it depends on your needs.

For me, the most important thing is to find the information.
To often there are programs that look fancy but after filling it with a huge amount of information you don't find what you are searching for.
I love cintanotes for it's simplicity - it is easy to enter information and I NEVER had the problem that I couldn't retrieve an information I knew was there.

The best thing that can happen is, that you find a tool that really supports you.
To often you find yourself trying tool after tool and invest time only to find yourself stuck.

Good luck.
Chris
Last edited by ChrisCN on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
date

Postby date » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:41 pm

GaryF: Are you sure Evernote is portable? I've tried it a little about 4 years ago, it was bulky software then and I couldn't open my 'stuff' without internet. If your 'reader' is portable, but your 'stuff' is on someone else's computer, its not really portable is it?
Not an answer to your question just a sidenote!
GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:23 pm

date wrote:GaryF: Are you sure Evernote is portable? I've tried it a little about 4 years ago, it was bulky software then and I couldn't open my 'stuff' without internet. If your 'reader' is portable, but your 'stuff' is on someone else's computer, its not really portable is it?
Not an answer to your question just a sidenote!

Hi Date

All I did was make a test notebook with some entries in it, then take the program folder and copied it to a backup drive. Then I went through the Windows uninstall process and finished that off with clearing the registry of any mention of Evernote.
Then I changed the file paths for Evernote to point to it's own folder for the database and other files, and turned sync off.
A quick reboot then tried it out and it worked fine.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:00 pm

GaryF wrote:HI
I've been looking at Evernote which aside from letting you add images to notes, has a huge range of features. I've always liked Cintanotes for it's simplicity, but now I'm getting used to Evernote who's free version lets you add images, audio files and so so much more than Cintanotes, I'm beginning to wonder about my decision.
Evernote is also portable which is a priority for me but looking at the two programs you charge more for a licence for yours then Evernote do yet Evernote offer far more in their program.
At this stage I'm not criticising your pricing structure, I am on the verge of paying for more features and I can't yet see a reason to stay with Cintanotes despite using it for years. So I'm hoping you can point out what I would get that's extra for the extra money?

Hi Gary,
Thanks a lot for asking a good question!

First, let's get one thing clear: there's a difference between CN pricing model and Evernote's.
Evernote has a subscription model. The time elapses, and you can't use premium features.
With CintaNotes, you can use PRO features forever, as long as you don't update to a version released
after one year since the date of purchase.

Now to the benefits that CN offers.

Here are a few advantages of using CN over Evernote:

1) Simplicity and speed - CintaNotes is not this bloated and is simpler;
2) No forced data upload - you can keep you data local, without uploading it to the cloud (Evernote now offers this as well, but only to premium users and you'll still need to register online);
3) Whole notebook encryption - even if your HDD gets stolen, no one will be able to read your notes. Evernote offers only encryption of selected text snippets.
4) CintaNotes allows you to run multiple instances, each using its own clipping hotkeys and own colors
5) CN has tabbed sections, which allow you to divide your notebooks into several separated zones. Evernote has subnotebooks, but some people prefer tabs, myself included.
6) Correct tag hierarchy - Evernote has tag hierarchy, but it is fundamentally broken. When you have tag A, and A has subtag B, then when you select tag A, notes with tag B should be displayed, because B is-kind-of A. Evernote doesn't do that, it treats tags like folders. CintaNotes does, so you can create and effectively use correct taxomonic relations like "Cars/Sport/Ferrari" or "Projects/NewYearParty/Guests/Maybes".

This is just off the top of my head, maybe other users here will add some more.
Alex
GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:59 pm

OK thanks for all that. I'm trying them side by side.
Just FYI, you can simply and easily stop Evernote from syncing constantly by simply adding it to a firewall to prevent it accessing the net. If I have time I'm sure there's an executable I can hamstring as well.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:13 am

No problem! I just wanted to show that there's a place for CintaNotes under the sun (especially in the light of some recent news).
Yes, you can shut Evernote off internet by firewall, but how many people are prepared to spend their time on this? And you have no guarantees it'll continue to work in the future.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”