Colours

usbpoweredfridge

Colours

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:31 am

This is something that has been sitting in the back of my mind for a while - it isn't really a feature request (though it may lead to one) or bug, so thought this would be the best place to post it. Just wanted to get some thoughts on it at the moment from other CN users.

There seems to be a disconnect between the colours in CN. There are two spots we can set colours:
a. For the CN main window itself, in View->Color Theme;
b. For the notes, in Properties when you right click the section header.

So far, so easy to understand. The thing I am seeing though is that the colours don't really match, in the respects of i. The colour you select from either a or b seems so much less colourful than the colour picker indicates (ie it seems washed out), and ii. The colour that you pick for the CN main window often clashes badly with the colour you select for the note. Here are some screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/BbouM3B.png (Main CN window vs note colour)
http://i.imgur.com/ZVOPpHd.png (Note colour selected not matching the actual applied note colour)
http://i.imgur.com/0Xi5lqX.png (CN window colour selected not matching the actual applied window colour)

All in all, the CN colours are very washed out for some reason, and really don't do anything to show off CN at all (in the sense of making people look at it and go 'wow, that looks nice, what program is it?'). Anyway, was just wondering what other people thought of the colours in CN. For me, (a) is the biggest issue - I appreciate some colours are always going to clash, but I think (a) makes the effect of (b) worse as well.

Regards,

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Colours

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:03 am

Chris, this is a difficult topic. But anyway thanks for bringing this up.

The thing I am seeing though is that the colours don't really match, in the respects of i. The colour you select from either a or b seems so much less colourful than the colour picker indicates (ie it seems washed out), and ii. The colour that you pick for the CN main window often clashes badly with the colour you select for the note. Here are some screenshots:

Both colors which you select are not used directly, this would look horrible. Basically, when you pick a color for a section, you are picking only the hue part. Saturation and brightness is ruled automatically by CN.

Also not one, but a whole palette of colors is generated based on the selected hue.

2015-10-14 17-10-32 Survey+Test - jenter - CintaNotes.png
2015-10-14 17-10-32 Survey+Test - jenter - CintaNotes.png (79.3 KiB) Viewed 11700 times

We intend to improve on the palette generation algorithm in the new UI. Probably the color picker will also be replaced with the hue-slider.
Probably some saturation/brightness params will be changeable as well.

The menu bar color is not changeable since it is part of the OS UI and is controlled by settings in Control Panel. We'd have to implement our own menu control if we wanted to change this color.
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:41 am

Thanks Alex, that clarifies a few things for me. Will be interested to see what you come up with in the future :)

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:29 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Thanks Alex, that clarifies a few things for me. Will be interested to see what you come up with in the future :)

No problem. I'm interested as well. Colors are indeed a complex topic. Only seems simple at first :)
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”