[Ann] New forum theme

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] New forum theme

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:10 am

Hi all,

As you may have noticed the forum has been updated to a new theme.
Please share your thoughts here - like or dislike, any problems, etc.
Thanks!
Alex
gustms

Re: [Ann] New forum theme

Postby gustms » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:47 am

First I thought I was in the wrong site, but I like it. Looks good, great job. Thanks

Is there any new forum feature associated with this theme, or is it just a visual modification?
Ovg

Postby Ovg » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:49 pm

Great! I have found many useful (for me) features:
• Bookmark topic
• Subscribe topic and forum
Many thanks!
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
CN 3.14β3 LifeTime Pro Licence / Windows 7 SP1 x64
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:56 am

As a forum junkie, I do like the new look. One (reasonably big) downside though - while performance is fine on a desktop PC, on mobile (using Firefox), performance is awful (no issues with previous forum look). Firefox basically locks until the whole forum is done loading - which is quite slow even when mobile is connected to my home wi-fi - and once it does load, performance is still problematic (It took about a dozen taps on this topic to actually coax Firefox to load it - again, no issues with the previous forum look). Does phpBB offer a mobile version? That would probably solve the issues.

Chris

Edit #1: Posted this on desktop, and had an issue - when I clicked submit, it appears the message was submitted, but I was not forwarded to the thread. Got stuck on a blank screen, with the end of the url as this:
/posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=2085

So looks like it still stays in posting mode, at least on my system (Firefox again, just the desktop version this time).

Edit #2: Yep, every time I post here on my desktop, I just get stuck on the blank white screen after clicking submit, so it wasn't a one off.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:39 am

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Yes, there are still problems with posting and mobile performance and we'll try to solve them in the next few days.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:43 am

gustms wrote:Is there any new forum feature associated with this theme, or is it just a visual modification?

We upgraded to PHPBB 3.1 so there are some new features, here's a complete list:
https://wiki.phpbb.com/Release_Highlights/3.1.0-a1
Alex
danielson

Postby danielson » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Thought last time out was it.
This new theme is quite pleasant, airy and... well, just plain nice! 8-)

One question... why is it that after we log in, we are taken to one forum link instead of a general view of all the threads?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:54 am

danielson wrote:Thought last time out was it.
This new theme is quite pleasant, airy and... well, just plain nice! 8-)

Glad to hear, thanks!

One question... why is it that after we log in, we are taken to one forum link instead of a general view of all the threads?

Which link exactly you're talking about?
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:24 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Which link exactly you're talking about?

It would be this one:
http://i.imgur.com/rkS7iyc.png

It is an extra click from there into the actual forum itself, with no obvious reason why (as in 'why is the landing page that page, and not the actual next level down').

While you are logged in, the exact link that is the landing page after logon is the 'Board Index', whereas it would make more sense to be 'CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager'. If there were multiple forums here, the Board Index would make sense - but as there is only one forum, it doesn't really make sense.

Chris
Last edited by usbpoweredfridge on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:31 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys!
Yes, there are still problems with posting and mobile performance and we'll try to solve them in the next few days.

I think something has changed with mobile, but not for the better. Now, as soon as I try and access the forum on mobile Firefox, it loads, and I can scroll - but the forum never finishes loading (the loading bar is about 3/4 full) and worse, it prevents me from doing anything else. I can open a new tab for example, but websites in that new tab will not load. I have to close right out of Firefox and go back in to fix it (obviously, when I restart Firefox, I don't try and load the CN forums, otherwise I would have the same problem).

Chris
danielson

Postby danielson » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:35 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:

Which link exactly you're talking about?

Think usbpoweredfridge explained it well.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:59 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:It is an extra click from there into the actual forum itself, with no obvious reason why (as in 'why is the landing page that page, and not the actual next level down').

Ok, we'll solve this problem.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:01 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I think something has changed with mobile, but not for the better. Now, as soon as I try and access the forum on mobile Firefox, it loads, and I can scroll - but the forum never finishes loading (the loading bar is about 3/4 full) and worse, it prevents me from doing anything else. I can open a new tab for example, but websites in that new tab will not load. I have to close right out of Firefox and go back in to fix it (obviously, when I restart Firefox, I don't try and load the CN forums, otherwise I would have the same problem).

Does this happen only on Mobile Firefox, or on any mobile browser?
Debugging on mobile browsers is notoriously difficult. I'm afraid that in the worst case we'll have to just revert to the default forum style.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:48 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I think something has changed with mobile, but not for the better. Now, as soon as I try and access the forum on mobile Firefox, it loads, and I can scroll

Have just installed Firefox for Android 42.0.1 on my Samsung Galaxy S2 - no problems at all.
Do you have this version?
Alex
danielson

Postby danielson » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:51 pm

Have just tested on Android Marshmallow Nexus 7 2013 and new Cintanotes forum with many posts within single thread:

Images on Firefox are choppy and text takes a long time to focus (sometimes it just doesn't seem to at all);
Default Google Chrome is fine but...
Opera beta with turbo enabled is much faster!
Pages snap in fast with no choppy images or text out of focus.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:09 am

danielson wrote:Have just tested on Android Marshmallow Nexus 7 2013 and new Cintanotes forum with many posts within single thread:

Images on Firefox are choppy and text takes a long time to focus (sometimes it just doesn't seem to at all);
Default Google Chrome is fine but...
Opera beta with turbo enabled is much faster!
Pages snap in fast with no choppy images or text out of focus.

Thanks for your input, Daniel. Probably only Firefox on the newer Androids (5 or 6) are affected. On Android 4.x the forum runs ok.
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:16 am

Yes, Android 5.1.1 here (Galaxy Tab S, 10.5" tablet) - so it could be related to the version. Internet Explorer on my Win 8.1 phone is fine, it is just Android+Firefox (using whatever the latest version is from the Google Play store) that is affected.

If it can be solved, that would be nice - but I don't think it really is worth reverting to the old theme. This one does look good, no one has complained about it so far, and if it only affects one browser on certain Android versions, I don't think that is enough to warrant reverting.

Chris
danielson

Postby danielson » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:29 am

+ 1

Personally, prefer checking forums via PC.
danielson

Postby danielson » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:31 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thanks for your input, Daniel. Probably only Firefox on the newer Androids (5 or 6) are affected. On Android 4.x the forum runs ok.

You are welcome Alex.
It's always a pleasure to give a hand to a hard working fellow! ;)

Btw, new disposition is just perfect! 8-)
Just wondering if similar theming style might go well with the app too?
Never know!
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:02 am

Ok guys thanks a lot for your input. Let's wait and see if any more problems pop up.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”