[Managing] Tag Grouping (was: Sidebar Tag Order) #168

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!

Vote for or against this feature:

Implement it asap (+2)
79%
Would be nice to have (+1)
21%
I don't need it personally (-1)
No votes
Don't do it (-2)
No votes

Total votes: 39
Noddy330

[Managing] Tag Grouping (was: Sidebar Tag Order) #168

Postby Noddy330 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:55 pm

I’d like to be able to specify the order of tags in the sidebar, and to be able to amend the order as and when I wished.
Maybe achieve this in the same way that notes are moved.
Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Viewing] Sidebar Tag Order

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:29 am

Hi Nod,

Noddy330 wrote:I’d like to be able to specify the order of tags in the sidebar, and to be able to amend the order as and when I wished.
Nod

Should the current alpha sort stay available? Which should be the default?
Do you need specific tag sorting behavior (usage count etc), or strictly user-defined?
Would you need some kind of tag separators like in menu?

Noddy330 wrote:Maybe achieve this in the same way that notes are moved.Nod

This won't be possible unless tag sidebar becomes keyboard-focusable, which has its downsides (was discussed
here).
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:58 am

I'd like to be able to group my related tags together sometimes, e.g. those relating to books and authors. In this case separators would be good. Or is this the same as tabbed notebooks?
At other times, I’d like to have the alpha sort; I guess some may like a tag usage count sort.
Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:30 am

Noddy330 wrote:I'd like to be able to group my related tags together sometimes, e.g. those relating to books and authors. In this case separators would be good. Or is this the same as tabbed notebooks?
At other times, I’d like to have the alpha sort; I guess some may like a tag usage count sort.
Nod

There is already a #168 "Tag Grouping" on the roadmap which is highly correlated with your request. It will allow to create a two-level tag hierarchy. But tag groups will be more than just a viewing convenience: groups will be selectable, and you'll be able to specify a group anywhere where you can specify multiple tags. However #168 doesn't say anything about tag order.
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:19 am

It sounds like Tag Grouping is what I want - thanks.
When I'm tagging a note and using Tag Grouping will there be a feature to help me easily choose another tag in that tag group? Or maybe the way tags are displayed in the Tag Sidebar will help me do that.
Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:04 am

Noddy330 wrote:It sounds like Tag Grouping is what I want - thanks.
When I'm tagging a note and using Tag Grouping will there be a feature to help me easily choose another tag in that tag group? Or maybe the way tags are displayed in the Tag Sidebar will help me do that.
Nod

That's how I envision it now:
- You'll be able to create a hierarchical structure among tags, so that subtags don't pollute the global tag space;
- It will create the ability to separate different kinds of tags using groups. Here are examples of different kinds of tags : metacategory tags - e.g. "definition" or "quote", subject tags - e.g. "cars" or "philosophy", status tags - e.g."todo" or "pending", location tags - e.g."@work" or "@home", property tags - e.g."lang-fr" or "forum", contact person tags -e.g. "michael", priority tags like "!important" etc.) ;
- Tag groups will be displayed as expandable tree nodes and you'll be able to set up their order (so yes, the way tags are displayed will help you to easily find tags).
- (MAYBE) You will be able to refer to a tag using the group:tag notation, so e.g. typing "project:" you'll get the list of the tags in the "project" group. But this already goes into the realm of parametrized tags, which is another interesting topic.
Alex
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:03 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:That's how I envision it now:
- You'll be able to create a hierarchical structure among tags, so that subtags don't pollute the global tag space;
- It will create the ability to separate different kinds of tags using groups. Here are examples of different kinds of tags : metacategory tags - e.g. "definition" or "quote", subject tags - e.g. "cars" or "philosophy", status tags - e.g."todo" or "pending", location tags - e.g."@work" or "@home", property tags - e.g."lang-fr" or "forum", contact person tags -e.g. "michael", priority tags like "!important" etc.) ;
- Tag groups will be displayed as expandable tree nodes and you'll be able to set up their order (so yes, the way tags are displayed will help you to easily find tags).
- (MAYBE) You will be able to refer to a tag using the group:tag notation, so e.g. typing "project:" you'll get the list of the tags in the "project" group. But this already goes into the realm of parametrized tags, which is another interesting topic.

I like this! Just waiting for a little more feedback from others before I vote.
-Todd
johnk

Re: [Managing] Tag Grouping (was: Sidebar Tag Order) #168

Postby johnk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:40 pm

I do like the idea of a hierarchical structure for tags.
abro

Postby abro » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Dear all,

i need the posibility to group tags. For examble have notice about different software from micirosoft. So i need a tag group software with a subgroup microsoft with a subgroup office with a subgroup excel. The full tags looks like software.microsoft.office.excel So I can find all information in my database about all office application with the searchstring software.microsoft.office or detailed information about excel with the searchstring software.microsoft.office.excel The best for work is if CintaNotes can propose full searchstring although I write only on word in the search field. For examble: I write excel in the field and CintaNotes displays a dropdown list of available tags with excel in it like

software.microsoft.office.excel
software.microsoft.office.excel.2010
software.microsoft.office.excel.2007
helpdesk.bugs.excel

A other benefit is that I attache several Tags at once to one note. For example software.microsoft.office.excel has got 4 tags in it.

thats I need ;-)

Regards
abro
nyrulez

Postby nyrulez » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Having a way to organize my 100s of tags would make CintaNotes v powerful and usable. waiting for this feature to be released soon! Not to sound impatient, but is it planned to be released in a couple of months ?
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri May 18, 2012 6:59 am

Hi dear developers! Thanks for CintaNotes!
It would be great if relation between tag groups and tags will work exactly as relation between tags and notes:
-group can contain multiple tags and
-one tag can be included in multiple groups.
Multi-parent, non-tree-type structure is very, very important for tag groups. In this case, tag groups should appear on additional vertical pane, left from tag pane. And it would be great if the number of levels of tag groups will be adjustable by clicking some "extending button":
-no tags;
-tags only(no tag groups);
-first level tag groups;
-first & second level of tag groups(groups of tag groups);
-1st, 2nd & 3rd level;
In this case every next level of "tags of tags" should appear as vertical pane at the left from pane of previous level. Different people need different amount of levels of "tag tagging". For me, for example, 3 or 4 levels of tags are needed...
Thanks!
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:35 am

Hi Andrew,

thanks a lot for your input!
Unfortunately what you ask is not what is now being developed.
Right now we are introducing strict hierarchic taxonomy for tags
so that tag "programming/c++" by implication also contains tag
"programming".

But grouping tags in the way you suggest can be done in future as well -
in my opinion it doesn't contradict the current model.
Alex

Return to “Feature Requests”