[Poll] Note Numbering RFC

Postby marun2 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:02 am

Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (97.62 KiB) Viewed 21287 times

Scan_20151019_083358.jpg
Scan_20151019_083358.jpg (797.25 KiB) Viewed 21289 times

Scan_20151019_092912.jpg
Scan_20151019_092912.jpg (675.36 KiB) Viewed 21289 times

Please see this entry for how the idea form and took shape.
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/985 ... red-notes/

If you are going through a series of notes and there are many notes
and there is a external interrupt, what you will do is quickly write down
on handy piece of paper, note number-section name.

Then you can safely close the Cintanotes instance should a
power failure been the cause of the external interrupt.

When the power gets back up, you will simply use the "File" menu
goto recent note number in section name and return to where you where almost immediately.
transition latency delay: 0 sec.
Normally you would lose your position.

This is the equivalent of physical bookmarks inside books. You can quickly
return to a page in particular.

You can easily return to a particular note in particular.

As a typical individual, I could have sections like: in cintanotes.db
Books I am reading (Collaborative Intelligence book, Chicken Soup for the Soul book, Robin Baker's Sperm Wars)
Music (Van Helen, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac)
Software I have bought license for -receipts (such as eWallet, Keytext, Fineprint, Cintanotes)
My internet notes - (Specific texts I have clipped from the internet.)
Hobbies section - (Basketball, Kite-flying are my hobbies.)
My kids section - (Kid, Kid, Kid)

The things outside the parentheses are section names.
The things within parentheses are notes.
Each note is numbered.
Whether note displays number can be toggled on and off using View Menu. or Options menu.
You can go to a note by inputting frequently remembered numbers.

For example, once I am used to the habit that: Kite-flying is note #2.
I need not "search" for "Kite-flying"
I go to File menu, click Recent notes... click GOTO 2 in Hobbies
or if I am thinking about my kids I choose to input GOTO 2 in Kid
if all have to remember is that my #"2" kid name is "Bob" in Section "My kids" section.
marun2

Re: [Poll] Note Numbering RFC

Postby marun2 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:23 am

Hi forum members

Note numbering if available in CN 4.0 would greatly improve marketability of the software
because it would be a MRU list suitable for use by practitioning doctors, graphic designers, clinics, universities,
freelance graphic artists who have to deal with multiple notebooks at the same time and need to bookmark
specific referenced numbered notes in each of their multiple notebooks. Please consider this RFC and let me know.

Any questions I am ready to answer.

Thx
L Mohan Arun
date

Postby date » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:40 am

marun2 wrote:If you are going through a series of notes and there are many notes
and there is a external interrupt, what you will do is quickly write down
on handy piece of paper, note number-section name.

Then you can safely close the Cintanotes instance should a
power failure been the cause of the external interrupt.

When the power gets back up, you will simply use the "File" menu
goto recent note number in section name and return to where you where almost immediately.
transition latency delay: 0 sec.
Normally you would lose your position.

This is the equivalent of physical bookmarks inside books. You can quickly
return to a page in particular.

Alternatively you can assign a tag 'bookmark' to the note(s).

When I restart CN, CN highlights the last active note.

Also, if you have to deal with power-outages, assuming you have a battery-powered laptop (because you shut down CN after a power outage), I suggest using stand-by, standby consumers little power and you don't have to shut down anything, every opened window is saved.

Downside to tagging with 'bookmark' is you have to remove the tag eventually, or you will end up with many bookmarks, or tags such as '__bkmrk5567' :) but this is no different than working with text-files of throwing away your piece of paper.

CN is useful for almost everything!
marun2

Postby marun2 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:48 am

Ok I need time to think about it, I will post a reply later on as to whether note numbering functionality can be replaced with bookmark tagging functionality, but initial indications are that they are unlike and somewhat different. I would want a MRU most recently used list of notes across many sections in the same notebook.
date

Postby date » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:40 pm

Think of tags as multidimensional bookmarks. You can bookmark several pages, and have them all appear on one page. ;)
What does the U in MRU mean? Viewed on the main screen, opened, or edited? Searched for?
marun2

Postby marun2 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:00 pm

date wrote:Think of tags as multidimensional bookmarks. You can bookmark several pages, and have them all appear on one page. ;)
What does the U in MRU mean? Viewed on the main screen, opened, or edited? Searched for?

Do you mean I can bookmark several notes, and have them all appear on one page?
But tags only work within the same notebook section right?

MRU = most recently viewed/ most recently used notes across any section...
date

Postby date » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:15 pm

marun2 wrote:
date wrote:Think of tags as multidimensional bookmarks. You can bookmark several pages, and have them all appear on one page. ;)

Do you mean I can bookmark several notes, and have them all appear on one page?
But tags only work within the same notebook section right?

MRU = most recently viewed/ most recently used notes across any section...

Sure you can select all sections with ctrl-shift-space, and see every 'bookmark' across your sections!

I was comparing tags to traditional card-bookmarks. You can open one book only one page at a time, whereas with tags you can see every bookmarked 'page' at the same time.

But what does 'used' mean?
+ viewed on the main screen ---> Use alt+arrow keys
+ opened ---> I'm not sure, tag if you want to remember/find back
+ edited ---> It's easy to sort on last edited time with the dropdown right of the search bar

Also, I personally fail to see the tidyness in this (maybe to be used temporarily), but you can disable the tag filter in the tag bar and see at any moment that your current section(s) has/have zero 'bookmarks.'

Of course the term 'bookmark' is completely arbitrary. You can use 'TBD' or 'todo' or anything for that matter.
marun2

Postby marun2 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:23 pm

okay my approach is different and simpler... i need sometime to explain how the UI could be updated file menu -> freq accessed notes.. notes can be from any section. its night here i will post a new reply during daytime here... thks.
marun2

Postby marun2 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:33 am

Need the ability to random access any note quickly just be remembering the note number and the section name.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:04 pm

You can put a number into the note's title or remarks, like this: "#232 Note about something".
Then you can quickly find it.
Alex
marun2

Postby marun2 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:04 pm

I have 8000+ notes. I mightnot know whether I used a particular number before I like to keep things organized, sometimes I delete what were previously notes, so those numbers become available. THe ideal solution is autonumbering.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:06 am

Ok I see. Unfortunately at the moment this idea on the roadmap is not very popular
(link for voting - http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/985 ... red-notes/)
As soon as it gets 10 votes I'll be ready to continue discussion on the issue.
Alex
marun2

Postby marun2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:05 am

Ok agreed I cast my vote so note numbering is supported as it is quite critical according to me any note should be able to
be referred to in casual conversation random access
did you mean note number 235 in @Hollywood_someone's cintanotes.xml.
so it is instantly clear @Hollywood_someone is the user's xml he/she is talking about.
there may be others using same "continuous publishing to the web/continuous exporting as xml to the web.
did you mean note number xxx in @playgirls cintanotes.xml
so @Playgirl could have been receiving and republishing @Hollywood_someone's cintanotes with her own edits.
date

Postby date » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:12 am

marun2 wrote:I have 8000+ notes. I mightnot know whether I used a particular number before I like to keep things organized, sometimes I delete what were previously notes, so those numbers become available. THe ideal solution is autonumbering.
So note numbers will change constantly?
You can search for creation time if you really want numericals :) (as opposed to simple keywords)
marun2

Postby marun2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:19 am

No we don't want to "search for anything".
The objective is to make things simple, if not simpler.
Existing notes in a notebook need to be continuously renumbered.
If I give out particular note number in my cintanotes notebook.
the recipient should be able to view that note number given an export of my cintanotes.xml
(database export file) it could be LMohanAruncintanotes.xml
so recipient knows to use cintanotes purchase it if not already have license
lifetime pro license recommended.
marun2

Postby marun2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:26 pm

Note numbering is special because
we can map a path through numbered notes.

10-30-50-100-200 is a learning path
even if one number is missing you know what the other note number is.
because you know 10-30-50-100-200
you would know the next line number after 50 is 100 and not 51.
I deem this is very useful feature. Let me know if otherwise think.
date

Postby date » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:52 pm

marun2 wrote:No we don't want to "search for anything". The objective is to make things simple, if not simpler.

But you have to type in the numbers somehow, right?

Existing notes in a notebook need to be continuously renumbered. If I give out particular note number in my cintanotes notebook. the recipient should be able to view that note number given an export of my cintanotes.xml (database export file) it could be LMohanAruncintanotes.xml

But because notes are renumbered, the number you give out must be a random note?

so recipient knows to use cintanotes purchase it if not already have license
lifetime pro license recommended.

You can export notes you want to share to plain text or html which is easier for a recipient to read.
(Along with recommendations of software you are enthusiastic about which the recipient might or might not want to try, if you so desire.)

Note numbering is special because we can map a path through numbered notes. 10-30-50-100-200 is a learning path
even if one number is missing you know what the other note number is. because you know 10-30-50-100-200 you would know the next line number after 50 is 100 and not 51. I deem this is very useful feature. Let me know if otherwise think.

How can this be practically applied? There might be a really simple solution to what you want.
marun2

Postby marun2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:02 pm

NO we don't have to type in the numbers if we simply use a frequently accessed note numbers list in File Menu.
I have already accommodated that in my design suggestion for CN (please see above scroll above this thread);

Plain text or html sharing is not recommended. I have 8000+ notes and recipient will receive a very large scrolling file.
I don't want that. It must be a better. What I want is just export to xml standard data interchange format and give it to
someone and it also includes my settings which they are then free to customize on their own. There may be more than
one person choosing to "follow" me on my exportedcintanotes.xml. Thus I see a social dimension to it.

ANyone on the follow list can refer to a note number and talk to me or among themselves. Then they can contact me
with that number and their own inputs which I can then process and decide whether to merge their ideas into my note.

If anything seems unclear, I usually appreciate being asked rather than getting rejected. I already voted for this feature as best as I could.
date

Postby date » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:43 pm

marun2 wrote:If anything seems unclear, I usually appreciate being asked rather than getting rejected. I already voted for this feature as best as I could.

I'm sorry you feel rejected as I felt we were just discussing 'ideas.' It was not my intent to 'debate' about anything.
Your ideas you described above seem rather complicated to me, probably because I (still) don't understand the intended practicality (meaning how you organize and use) in them. If I understood, and saw an easy/easier way(s) to accomplish the result you want, I'd be happy to suggest this/these, so you can implement them if they are helpful, or not if they aren't.
marun2

Postby marun2 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:01 am

I don't get what you mean. It is just a suggestion and you are free to implement it in CN if you like it and feel it will be helpful for sales too. If I find some notes program that has line numbers I will probably take it though. :0)

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”