scroll to top

Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

scroll to top

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi Alex,

when i search for text, search for something else, it can happen that the focus in the notes list will follow some irrelevant note. Thus the most recent note might not be visible and i have to manually scroll to the top of the list. The list is ordered by modification date. Is there a way to always show the top of the search results?

Thanks

Thomas
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4741
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: scroll to top

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:13 pm

I'm afraid, not at the moment.
IIRC, initially CN behaved like you say. But then users were disappointed that CN didn't keep focus after you cancel the search.
It is true that one and the same person can benefit from either one or the other behavior, in different circumstances.
Note that the focus goes up on Ctrl+F if you have filter reset on Ctrl+F enabled.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: scroll to top

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:35 pm

Usually i don't cancel search. It is that i change search, either when my search-phrase did not give me a match or when i came to CintaNotes after using another application. Yes, i am aware of the Ctrl+F handling. However, after you change search the list won't scroll to top any more. It would be great to have an option.

Thomas
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4741
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: scroll to top

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:36 pm

What exactly do you mean by "change search"?
Obviously we can't scroll up after each typed letter, for example.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: scroll to top

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:44 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Obviously we can't scroll up after each typed letter, for example.

Why not? I think the point is to not scroll at all. For example after i reset with Ctrl+F and start/edit a search i want the list to always stay on top as long as the search-box has the focus.
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4741
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: scroll to top

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:28 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:Obviously we can't scroll up after each typed letter, for example.

Why not? I think the point is to not scroll at all. For example after i reset with Ctrl+F and start/edit a search i want the list to always stay on top as long as the search-box has the focus.

That's exactly what happens now if you're not pressing backspace or delete.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: scroll to top

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:07 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:Obviously we can't scroll up after each typed letter, for example.
Why not? I think the point is to not scroll at all. For example after i reset with Ctrl+F and start/edit a search i want the list to always stay on top as long as the search-box has the focus.
That's exactly what happens now if you're not pressing backspace or delete.

Ok, i see. Why is that? Would it be possible to always set the focus to the top note, even when i press Backspace or Delete?

Thomas
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4741
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: scroll to top

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:59 pm

You see, when you press BkSp or Delete, the number of found notes _increases_, and new notes can appear on top of the note which was at the top when the list was "most filtered". But as per user demands, when filters are relaxed, CN tries to keep the "found" note focused (if it is still in the list) unless you press Home/End/etc.

Probably the problem here is that CN starts considering a note found ever before you move focus away from the search box. But this was the simplest implementation (as it usually is :)
Alex
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: scroll to top

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:11 pm

You're correct. At least to some extend. :) If the note would be really found, then pressing ENTER should open it, but it will focus the notes list only and it takes another ENTER to open it. Imo, this demonstrates that the logic is confusing, not correct. Consider it a list with matching notes. The "note found" is the one, that the user will eventually open. He/She needs to set the focus to this note anyway, so i suggest to change the behaviour, at least with an ini setting.

Thomas
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4741
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: scroll to top

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:12 am

You'll break one very popular workflow: finding a note not to open, but to find a specific place in the notes list.
How it goes now: Type the search phrase till the needed note is at the top, hit esc to go to this note in the unfiltered list.

How it will be after your suggestion is implemented: type the search phrase to find the note, hit tab/enter to focus the notes list, then hit Esc to go back to the unfiltered list.

Or am I wrong here?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: scroll to top

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:29 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:You'll break one very popular workflow: finding a note not to open, but to find a specific place in the notes list.
How it goes now: Type the search phrase till the needed note is at the top, hit esc to go to this note in the unfiltered list.

Interesting this is a feature. What would you use it for? Searching, but not opening it? Many times i search for a note, but can not find it with the first search phrase. Thus i need to modify it (Bksp, Del). This "feature" comes in handy (if ever) only, when my first search phrase is a match.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:How it will be after your suggestion is implemented: type the search phrase to find the note, hit tab/enter to focus the notes list, then hit Esc to go back to the unfiltered list. Or am I wrong here?

What is it good for to focus the note? To print or export it without opening? (a) this is inconsistent, because there is a difference when editing the phrase and (b) personally, in five years i never had a use case such as this.

Thanks for this dicussion being open :)

Thomas
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4741
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: scroll to top

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:59 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Interesting this is a feature. What would you use it for? Searching, but not opening it? Many times i search for a note, but can not find it with the first search phrase. Thus i need to modify it (Bksp, Del). This "feature" comes in handy (if ever) only, when my first search phrase is a match.


Yes, patterns of usage are very different, and its tough to support them all. This feature is useful for sections having 'manual' sort order, for example.
Or you want to review which notes you took last January. You sort by creation time, then search for '.01.2015', and then hit escape because you want to browse the list of notes without being distracted by search highlights.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:What is it good for to focus the note? To print or export it without opening? (a) this is inconsistent, because there is a difference when editing the phrase and (b) personally, in five years i never had a use case such as this.


Well, I meant that this could be a way to let CintaNotes know that you're interested in keeping focus on this note.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Thanks for this dicussion being open :)

Always a pleasure. I pay attention to such discussions because we don't have a usability lab at our disposal, and when questions pop up this usually means that there's a problem that needs fixing :)
Alex
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: scroll to top

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi Alex,

thanks for your clarification. I accept that there might be a use case for this, even though it's hard to understand this one to me. So entering chars will scroll to top, but pressing Backspace or Delete will follow the note. Please, can you add an option to turn this behaviour off?! To me it's just strange and bugging me for quite a while now. It would be much more consistent (to me) to always scroll to the top. Why? Because as long as my search does not give me a match, i keep editing it until the relevant note will pop up in the notes list. Right now, the relevant note might be hard to catch, because it's out of sight (on top of the list, but invisible because the focus is somewhere at the end of the list).

Thanks and a happy new year!

Thomas
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4741
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: scroll to top

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the delay, and happy new year to you too!

Thomas Lohrum wrote:So entering chars will scroll to top, but pressing Backspace or Delete will follow the note. Please, can you add an option to turn this behaviour off?! To me it's just strange and bugging me for quite a while now.


I think I've come up with a solution which should siut everyone:
- As search phrase is changed, the list is always scrolled to top
- But: when filters are reset (with Esc or via pressing X), CN tries to keep focus on the note which was focused last.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Re: scroll to top

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:54 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I think I've come up with a solution which should siut everyone:
- As search phrase is changed, the list is always scrolled to top
- But: when filters are reset (with Esc or via pressing X), CN tries to keep focus on the note which was focused last.

Sounds reasonable. Let's give it a try. :)

Thanks!

Thomas

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”