[Feature Request] Export should export settings file also

marun2

[Feature Request] Export should export settings file also

Postby marun2 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:35 am

There should be a single file that is quickly able to be exported from cintanotes containing .settings, the cintanotes.db
itself packaged into a cintanotes.db itself. settings should not be .settings, it should be another table in cintanotes.db
which I understand is a SQLite database.

Request do the needful.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Feature Request] Export should export settings file also

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:08 am

In CintaNotes, there are 2 kinds of settings:
1) Settings of the application: options from the Options menu, view state, window sizes, etc. These are stored in cintanotes.settings.
2) Properties of the notebook, like notebook's uid. Stored in the db, in tables NotebookProperties/Synchronizations. Those of them which represent user data are already included into the exported XML.

So you see now that your request doesn't really make sense. The whole point of export is to export user data, not application settings and transient data like view state. If you want to export program's settings, simply make a copy of cintanotes.settings.
Alex
marun2

Postby marun2 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:05 am

I agree we should differ in my view. I think the whole data+preferences+color theme etc. should be able to
be saved into one exportable file should I want to do so. Of course, as per data portability standards in enforcement,
data alone can be moved from computer to computer using commonly agreed upon format such as xml.

In stark contrast with how you feel this issue is being viewed, it is indeed my personal preference to be
able to export all the contents of my cintanotes which I paid for, be it data or choices I made earlier into one quick exportable file that I can send as one .db across the internet using attachment email.

:)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:02 pm

Can we move from solution to the problem?
Why do you want to save everything and send it to someone?
Is it yourself (backup) or someone else (sharing)?
Why can't you just zip the whole portable CN folder to do it?
Alex
marun2

Postby marun2 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:41 pm

I want the .db format of cintanotes to include settings also because:
I want to transfer my custom settings and preferences and other minuatiae too, to the receiver.
The receiver may or maynot have cintanotes installed, and all he/she will receive is this:

cintanotes.db

By clueing oneself he/she will understand that this is a file made by cintanotes software. ANd he/she
needs to purchase/download cintanotes to be able to make use of this knowledge resource being made available by someone
by just dropping off cintanotes.db to any number of recipients in a webpage blog post he or she made earlier.

Thx
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:04 am

Don't quite get how including settings will help here.
It will still be an obscure XML file which will need CintaNotes to be displayed properly.
Alex
marun2

Postby marun2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:02 am

yes. it is obvious in the filename that it requires cintanotes and anyone can use it if they have cintanotes installed in desktop.
today it may be windows desktop. it could be a cintanotes app (currently being done through simplenote integration which is
not working good as I tried it and didn't like it the way it is now).

SO the idea is for someone to recognize it instantly that someone is trying to share a .xml standard computer data interchange
format and the software to be used for opening / importing this xml is cintanotes.

this contains settings also so they are already set up using a optimal preferences which they can then customize to liking because some things
such as number of sections in notebook and number of lines visible in a note should have been part of .xml and not part of cintanotes.settings.
So rather than attempt to fix that if someone are simply saying use cintanotes for now. it should be obvious.

THen eventually the xml also contains a "hook" to the publisher and it continuously keeps updated at desktop level with the publisher thousands of miles away or thousands of light years away.

Cool.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:50 pm

marun2 wrote:yes. it is obvious in the filename that it requires cintanotes and anyone can use it if they have cintanotes installed in desktop.
today it may be windows desktop. it could be a cintanotes app (currently being done through simplenote integration which is
not working good as I tried it and didn't like it the way it is now).

This doesn't require settings file to be included.

SO the idea is for someone to recognize it instantly that someone is trying to share a .xml standard computer data interchange
format and the software to be used for opening / importing this xml is cintanotes.

This too doesn't require settings and works already.

this contains settings also so they are already set up using a optimal preferences which they can then customize to liking because some things
such as number of sections in notebook and number of lines visible in a note should have been part of .xml and not part of cintanotes.settings.

Ok, now we have an interesting part: you named one setting which would be useful to have exported to the XML.
However not all settings will make sense there. You don't really want to export window sizes (can be off screen on some PCs), hash of your Simplenote password, absolute path to the notebook, etc.

THen eventually the xml also contains a "hook" to the publisher and it continuously keeps updated at desktop level with the publisher thousands of miles away or thousands of light years away.

I'm afraid this is beyond the scope of CintaNotes since it would require a supporting server solution.
Alex
marun2

Postby marun2 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:37 pm

ok its upto the developers of CN
but I want to say it doesn't require a supporting server solution.
The export .xml could be anywhere and simplenote integration is a feature fit to be dropped
because it locks the user in to simplenote and simplenote is inferior because it doesn't allow
public google indexing of notes if the user chooses to make his notes public.
Hashof simplenote password and absolute path need not be in export xml. thx

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”