[Ann] CintaNotes 3.1.3 Beta 1

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 3.1.3 Beta 1

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi there,

Well I'm still not quite satisfied with how autotagging is coming along, this is why we decided to polish it a bit more.
I know you must be tired of waiting, but IMO this is better than releasing something which I can't really be proud of.

But, we still have a number of nice enhancements in stock, most notably tag drag-and-drop (only within tag sidebar for now,
but this is just a start), and the long awaited ability to use single Tab for inserting Tab characters ;) We decided to release
them as version 3.1.3. Here's the beta version of it. Thanks in advance for checking it out!

Mar 10, 2016 - Version 3.1.3 Beta1

In this version:

Enhancements:
  • Drag-and-dropping of tags within the Tag sidebar
  • Option to use single Tab press to insert TAB character instead of Ctrl+Tab (see "Options/Editor/Tab Character" menu)

Fixes:
  • Clipping: backlinks to documents were not always added even when they were present in the process's command line
  • CN didn't restore to maximized size from system tray
  • Link to file not copied properly if path contained non-ASCII characters
  • Notes count control was cut off at 120 DPI
  • Display scaling caused CintaNotes to crash in Windows 10
  • Unnecessary save confirmation on pressing Esc in empty new note
  • "Database locked" error when CN was used on a network share

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_3_1_3_Beta1_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_3_1_3_Beta1.zip

WARNING: Beta software! Use at own risk, and always backup your data first!
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 3.1.3 Beta 1

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:38 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:[*]Option to use single Tab press to insert TAB character instead of Ctrl+Tab (see "Options/Editor/Tab Character" menu)

Thanks Alex, another item I can cross off my personal wishlist :)

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:58 am

Hi Chris,

Great - thanks for taking a look!
I wonder if anyone has tried tag drag and drop?
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:28 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I wonder if anyone has tried tag drag and drop?

I did, briefly (I don't make use of nested tags, so it's not really a feature that holds much interest to me). On my quick testing, dragging works - but I felt there wasn't enough visual feedback as to where you were dropping the tag. Yes, there is a dialog box pop up after you drop it, but I think it needs something to indicate where you are dropping before you let go of the mouse button. One other minor thing - when I tried dragging a nested tag back to the top level, it took a while for me to find a spot on the tags bar that would take it back up to the top level (CN keep wanted to make it a nested tag of the very top tag in the list instead). I did find a spot that would make CN take the tag to the top level again after a couple of minutes, but it made me realise the dropping area for the return to top level tags is a bit too small compared to the dropping area for making it a nested tag of another existing tag (if that all makes sense). Maybe visual feedback of the dropping point would take care of this issue as well? I had in mind something like the line that appears when you drag and drop a shortcut onto the quick launch bar in Windows - the line indicates the position you are going to drop the shortcut to.

Chris
date

Postby date » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:33 am

I tried D&D just now, works here and on my computer it clearly indicates where the dragged tag is going to be dropped by drawing a box around the target tag name, just like moving a file onto the folder tree in explorer. The dotted line usbpoweredfridge talked about indicates targetted position, but the tags are alphabetically sorted so not much choice for position?
All in all I don't think I'll be using this feature much (if at all) but I can think of one scenario where this feature can be useful and save a few seconds: applying new tags to notes and building the 'tree' later.
I'm more curious to find out what autotagging will bring ;)
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:50 am

date wrote:it clearly indicates where the dragged tag is going to be dropped by drawing a box around the target tag name

I hadn't noticed that - checked again, and I see what you mean - but it is barely visible here. The highlighting of the tag you are dropping on is obscured by the semi-transparent box of the tag you are dragging (for when you are dropping a tag onto another tag I mean - when you are trying to return a nested tag to the top level, there is no visual indicator at all because the drop zone is outside the tag list itself). Definitely needs improving in both situations. Me, I would get rid of the two highlighting boxes, and simply go for the same line you see when dragging shortcuts to the Windows quick launch bar - no program has come close to beating its level of clarity for dragging IMHO.

Also, when you drag a nested tag back to the root level, the tag you dragged it from does not update visually - it still has the little triangle (to indicate a folded up tag) next to it. That triangle only clears when you refresh the tag list - it should auto refresh IMHO.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

usbpoweredfridge wrote: I felt there wasn't enough visual feedback as to where you were dropping the tag

I agree that it should be made more visible. I guess we'll make the dragged tag more transparent, and add contrast to the highlighting of the drop point.

usbpoweredfridge wrote:One other minor thing - when I tried dragging a nested tag back to the top level, it took a while for me to find a spot on the tags bar that would take it back up to the top level

Yes, we'll make the drop line "between tags" 2x times wider.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:53 am

date wrote:The dotted line usbpoweredfridge talked about indicates targetted position, but the tags are alphabetically sorted so not much choice for position?

Yes, the tag will be automatically moved to the correct place after you release it. However I think that it is convenient to be able to drop it anywhere instead of having to look for its correct alphabetical place yourself.

All in all I don't think I'll be using this feature much (if at all) but I can think of one scenario where this feature can be useful and save a few seconds: applying new tags to notes and building the 'tree' later.

Not sure I understand this use case, do you mean tagging using flat tags and building a tree of them later?

Just a week (two tops) of waiting left ;)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:09 pm

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I hadn't noticed that - checked again, and I see what you mean - but it is barely visible here. The highlighting of the tag you are dropping on is obscured by the semi-transparent box of the tag you are dragging

Yes, as I said above we'll fix that.

there is no visual indicator at all because the drop zone is outside the tag list itself

We'll fix this as well.

Definitely needs improving in both situations. Me, I would get rid of the two highlighting boxes, and simply go for the same line you see when dragging shortcuts to the Windows quick launch bar - no program has come close to beating its level of clarity for dragging IMHO.

Thanks for the idea. I'll take a look.

Also, when you drag a nested tag back to the root level, the tag you dragged it from does not update visually - it still has the little triangle (to indicate a folded up tag) next to it. That triangle only clears when you refresh the tag list - it should auto refresh IMHO.

This is clearly a bug, will be fixed. Thanks again ;)
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi Alex,

one thing i noticed is, that it's not possible to cancel the drag&drop operation by pressing ESC.

Thomas
date

Postby date » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:32 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
date wrote:The dotted line usbpoweredfridge talked about indicates targetted position, but the tags are alphabetically sorted so not much choice for position?

Yes, the tag will be automatically moved to the correct place after you release it. However I think that it is convenient to be able to drop it anywhere instead of having to look for its correct alphabetical place yourself.
I thought using a dotted line was a mere suggestion, but I found out there already is a dotted line. (It's just not dotted.) I thought the drag and drop was designed for dropping a tag onto a new parent, hadn't noticed you could drop between children (as a 'sibling') too. Only about 4 pixels and camouflage colored, no wonder I didn't notice :mrgreen: But easy to reach once you know it's there.
I also found out the spot to drop a tag on to remove all parents... and yes, there already is an indicating line there too. But you said you'll fix the visual aspect so it'll turn out alright. :)

Not sure I understand this use case, do you mean tagging using flat tags and building a tree of them later?
Yes.

Just a week (two tops) of waiting left ;)
I'm not sure what to expect, but I imagine it to be something like saved searches, for example when a note contains the text 'february' you can find this note under the predetermined february tag, and when this piece of text is removed, not anymore. Something like that... well we'll see soon enough.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:12 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:one thing i noticed is, that it's not possible to cancel the drag&drop operation by pressing ESC.

hi Thomas, thanks for the remark. We'll add Esc handling.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:15 am

date wrote:I thought using a dotted line was a mere suggestion, but I found out there already is a dotted line. (It's just not dotted.) I thought the drag and drop was designed for dropping a tag onto a new parent, hadn't noticed you could drop between children (as a 'sibling') too. Only about 4 pixels and camouflage colored, no wonder I didn't notice :mrgreen: But easy to reach once you know it's there.
I also found out the spot to drop a tag on to remove all parents... and yes, there already is an indicating line there too. But you said you'll fix the visual aspect so it'll turn out alright. :)

Yes, and we'll also increase the height of the "sibling" line, so that it's easier to spot and use.

I'm not sure what to expect, but I imagine it to be something like saved searches, for example when a note contains the text 'february' you can find this note under the predetermined february tag, and when this piece of text is removed, not anymore. Something like that... well we'll see soon enough.

This is an interesting idea. Initially I was going to limit the autotagging rules with ability to add tags, but ability to also remove tags brings all kind of possible uses to mind. I'll definitely consider to at least add an option "remove the tag if the rule condition is not met" to each autotagging rule.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”