[Ann] CintaNotes 3.2.1 Final

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 3.2.1 Final

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:46 am

Hi everyone,

well without further ado - please welcome a new minor release! :)
Huge thanks to date who helped prevent a major problem with deleting notes!

Aug 18, 2016 - Version 3.2.1

In this version:

Enhancements:
  • Rules: add "has children of" and "has parents of" operators to Tags field
  • Rules: add "comes before" and "comes after" operators for text fields

Fixes:
  • Editor: fixed error when deleting note using Ctrl+Del
  • "Open in editor" should be disabled when silent clipping mode is on
  • Rules: fix "for all notes" rule condition not working
  • Rules: fix TAB, ESC don't work in note editor when rule editor is open
  • Rules: "Remove tag" action should also remove child tags of specified tag
  • HTML export: printing note text only produces gray borders that gets wider
  • Fix possible error upon program restart
  • Notes list: Tag capitalization had effect on ordering in preview
  • Notes list: tags are incorrectly shortened with ellipsis
  • Tag sidebar: untagged count display was not always correct
  • Editor: Wrong control positions after modified date is displayed
  • Alt +F didn't always activate File menu
  • Section limit in free version didn't consider section names

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_3_2_1_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_3_2_1.zip
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 3.2.1 Final

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:18 am

Fixes:
  • Editor: fixed error when deleting note using Ctrl+Del
    => confirm fixed
  • Rules: fix TAB, ESC don't work in note editor when rule editor is open
    => confirm fixed
  • Rules: "Remove tag" action should also remove child tags of specified tag
    => confirm fixed

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:23 am

Rules Dialog

• The initial focus should be set to the scroll view to allow to use the mouse and the keyboard. Right now the OK button has focus, which makes little sense.
  • "TL: The question "Should the rules be applied now" when exiting the rules dialog has a checkbox "don't ask again". If i check it, what will be the default action next time? AJ: Yes, I find it a problem that when you click on "don't ask again" and then click "No", it will re-ask the next time. The actual user choice should be remembered. We have plans to fix this."
    Obviously this did not make it into 3.2.1 :(

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:27 am

Rules Editor

• The initial focus should be set to the title
  • Bug: The tab key uses inverse logic (F3/Shift+F3 interchanged)

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:35 am

Editor
  • The hint for which rules have been applied does overlay the date view. It looks ugly. Maybe this can be changed to work the same as the "note is saved" hint.
  • Bug: For some reason when i create a new note and save it later, the modification date will no longer update. This is a pain to me as i sort for it. :(

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:28 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Enhancements:
  • Rules: add "has children of" and "has parents of" operators to Tags field

Needed that right away :)

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for taking a look at the new release!

The initial focus should be set to the scroll view to allow to use the mouse and the keyboard. Right now the OK button has focus, which makes little sense.

Agreed, will fix this.

"TL: The question "Should the rules be applied now" when exiting the rules dialog has a checkbox "don't ask again". If i check it, what will be the default action next time? AJ: Yes, I find it a problem that when you click on "don't ask again" and then click "No", it will re-ask the next time. The actual user choice should be remembered. We have plans to fix this."
Obviously this did not make it into 3.2.1 :(

Yes, unfortunately it didn't make it into 3.2.1, is planned for 3.3 (which is due next week btw).
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:15 pm

The initial focus should be set to the title

Since the title is optional (I, for example, most of the time leave the default title), I'm not sure about this.

Bug: The tab key uses inverse logic (F3/Shift+F3 interchanged)

Yes, already in plans for 3.3. But thanks anyways.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:18 pm

The hint for which rules have been applied does overlay the date view. It looks ugly. Maybe this can be changed to work the same as the "note is saved" hint.

This would introduce some unwanted complication, since now one code displays the rule application hint for all CN windows. But I'll think about how to make this prettier :)

Bug: For some reason when i create a new note and save it later, the modification date will no longer update. This is a pain to me as i sort for it. :(

That's strange since it does update for me.. coudl you please elaborate on how to repeat this?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:18 pm

Nice! Were you able to use it successfully?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:23 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
The initial focus should be set to the title
Since the title is optional (I, for example, most of the time leave the default title), I'm not sure about this.

You're right. I did not notice this before. In that case i suggest to move title and the active checkbox below the rules definition area. This can make it easier to understand it's not relevant. Also when focusing the title the first time a default value can be assigned. Right now this only happens when the rule gets saved.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Bug: For some reason when i create a new note and save it later, the modification date will no longer update. This is a pain to me as i sort for it. :(
That's strange since it does update for me.. coudl you please elaborate on how to repeat this?

No, not reliably. I'll have an eye on it.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Nice! Were you able to use it successfully?

Sure :)

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:29 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Yes, already in plans for 3.3. But thanks anyways.

3.3 a new version so soon after 3.2. I'm curious. Can you tell what the new features will be?

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi Alex,

several issues to the latest release.

• When initially setting up rules it's of interest to have a shortcut for the rules dialog. Though i am aware it is possible to keep the dialog open i find it more convenient.
  • Add a checkbox to hide all inactive rules.
  • Manual order of rules: Yes, you told me you don't want people to rely on any specific order. However, i was in trouble already, because of not being able to order them. As a workaround i had to delete a rule and insert it at the end of the list. Also it can help to organize related rules.
  • When removing hiararchies of tags i noticed a bug. The tag was still shown in the editor's tag list. Though after reopening the editor, everything was fine.
  • I noticed another bug, that is actually dangerous. After creating a rule i closed the rules dialog and tested the rule. It did not work. I did reopen the rules dialog and noticed that the definition was broken. For example "Title is identical with <text>" and "Remove tags <tag>" became corrupted. Both text and tag got replaced with some text matching one of my section names.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi Alex,

more issues:

• Bug
    When a tag gets removed in the editor, the notes list does not update.
  • Shortcut
    As i noticed today, the rule engine gets updated only, after the rules dialog gets closed. Thus the feature request to add a shortcut to it, becomes more relevant.
  • Rules Editor
    It should be possible to insert items, not only adding them. First i need to control the flow, second when modifying a rule later it is of interest to group related actions.
  • Rules editor
    Add the ability to create tags by the rules editor.
  • Rules engine
    When a rule removes the root of a hierarchy and then adds a child, the engine fails to add the child. For example "remove tasks" and "add tasks/completed".
  • Bug
    As reported rules can become corrupted. I had one more case when all text fields of the rule were replaced by a section name. Please note, that the mentioned section is the inbox! Before that i had deleted a rule, deleted a tag and copied a rule, but was not able to reproduce these steps.
  • Language
    Some translations are incorrect. For example "Schlagw_ö_rt(er)". That's kind of hard to solve, since singular and plural are different. Also "in _b_ereich schieben" => Bereich is a noun and needs to be uppercased.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:49 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:You're right. I did not notice this before. In that case i suggest to move title and the active checkbox below the rules definition area. This can make it easier to understand it's not relevant. Also when focusing the title the first time a default value can be assigned. Right now this only happens when the rule gets saved.

Updating the default title in "real-time" is a really good idea, thanks! About moving it to the bottom - I'm not so sure about it. The "active" checkbox is not so unimportant after all..
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:51 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:Yes, already in plans for 3.3. But thanks anyways.

3.3 a new version so soon after 3.2. I'm curious. Can you tell what the new features will be?
Thomas

Some of the features were developed in parallel to Rules, this is why we are able to release it so soon.
The major features will be drag-and-dropping tags from tag sidebar onto notes, and drag-and-dropping notes onto section tabs.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:01 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:When initially setting up rules it's of interest to have a shortcut for the rules dialog. Though i am aware it is possible to keep the dialog open i find it more convenient.

The problem with keeping it open is that the rules are only saved when you close the dialog. However I'm not sure that introducing shortcut for the dialog is justified. Would like to wait for anyone else backup this up.

Add a checkbox to hide all inactive rules.

A drop-down filter on top would be better than a checkbox IMO: "All rules", "Only active rules", "Only inactive rules". Do you agree?

Manual order of rules: Yes, you told me you don't want people to rely on any specific order. However, i was in trouble already, because of not being able to order them. As a workaround i had to delete a rule and insert it at the end of the list. Also it can help to organize related rules.

This is a dilemma. If I add the "move up/down" commands, people will think that rule order is important, when in fact it is not.. Maybe instead it would be better to add ability to sort rules by creation/modified date and title? Then you'll be able to group rules using title prefixes.

When removing hiararchies of tags i noticed a bug. The tag was still shown in the editor's tag list. Though after reopening the editor, everything was fine.

Yes, this is a known issue. I'm already on it. Thanks anyway

I noticed another bug, that is actually dangerous. After creating a rule i closed the rules dialog and tested the rule. It did not work. I did reopen the rules dialog and noticed that the definition was broken. For example "Title is identical with <text>" and "Remove tags <tag>" became corrupted. Both text and tag got replaced with some text matching one of my section names.

This happened to me once too, but this bug is very elusive and hard to reproduce. I'll go through code, if we're lucky I'll be able to spot and fix the bug.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:23 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:When a tag gets removed in the editor, the notes list does not update.

You mean when it's removed by a rule?

As i noticed today, the rule engine gets updated only, after the rules dialog gets closed. Thus the feature request to add a shortcut to it, becomes more relevant.

Any suggestions for the shortcut?

It should be possible to insert items, not only adding them. First i need to control the flow, second when modifying a rule later it is of interest to group related actions.

Do you mean ability to move conditions and actions up and down?

Add the ability to create tags by the rules editor.

But it has this ability. Simply enter the name of a tag that doesn't exist.

When a rule removes the root of a hierarchy and then adds a child, the engine fails to add the child. For example "remove tasks" and "add tasks/completed".

I can't reproduce this. Could you please make a sample xml to demonstrate?

As reported rules can become corrupted. I had one more case when all text fields of the rule were replaced by a section name. Please note, that the mentioned section is the inbox! Before that i had deleted a rule, deleted a tag and copied a rule, but was not able to reproduce these steps.

Already investigating this

Some translations are incorrect. For example "Schlagw_ö_rt(er)". That's kind of hard to solve, since singular and plural are different. Also "in _b_ereich schieben" => Bereich is a noun and needs to be uppercased.

In Transifex it's already "In Bereich verschieben", so someone must have already fixed this. So it will be updated with the next release.
About "Schlagwort(er)" - let's make it plural, since it's more general case.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”