[Ann] CintaNotes 3.2.1 Final

date

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 3.2.1 Final

Postby date » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:00 am

--Tags (don't) have parents-- doesn't work. I get: 'SQLite error 1 near ")": syntax error.

About input fields getting updated to the name of the leftmost section (perhaps the section left of the active one): I had this numerous times, but didn't think much of it. When this happens, usually it is after modifiying a dropdownbox. Just now, tried to trace steps, found one instance where this happens: when a note is created in the meantime.
Included a debug log, in case there's any doubt on the steps.
Attachments
log.2.txt.zip
(33.42 KiB) Downloaded 4956 times
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:03 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:Add a checkbox to hide all inactive rules.
A drop-down filter on top would be better than a checkbox IMO: "All rules", "Only active rules", "Only inactive rules". Do you agree?

That's fine with me.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:]Manual order of rules: Yes, you told me you don't want people to rely on any specific order. However, i was in trouble already, because of not being able to order them. As a workaround i had to delete a rule and insert it at the end of the list. Also it can help to organize related rules.
This is a dilemma. If I add the "move up/down" commands, people will think that rule order is important, when in fact it is not.. Maybe instead it would be better to add ability to sort rules by creation/modified date and title? Then you'll be able to group rules using title prefixes.

I disagree. Rule order does have an impact on the execution. Whether i can control it or not. It's just that CintaNotes does not allow me to modify it. I need to plan rules order before creating or else delete and re-create them.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:14 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:When a tag gets removed in the editor, the notes list does not update.

You mean when it's removed by a rule?

Yes.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:As i noticed today, the rule engine gets updated only, after the rules dialog gets closed. Thus the feature request to add a shortcut to it, becomes more relevant.
Any suggestions for the shortcut?

F7 or F8

Thomas Lohrum wrote:It should be possible to insert items, not only adding them. First i need to control the flow, second when modifying a rule later it is of interest to group related actions.
Do you mean ability to move conditions and actions up and down?

Yes.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Add the ability to create tags by the rules editor.
But it has this ability. Simply enter the name of a tag that doesn't exist.

Ok, it's working :)

Thomas Lohrum wrote:When a rule removes the root of a hierarchy and then adds a child, the engine fails to add the child. For example "remove tasks" and "add tasks/completed".
I can't reproduce this. Could you please make a sample xml to demonstrate?

Retested and i think it's working. Probably it's the known refresh bug, that fails to display the tags properly.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:31 pm

date wrote:--Tags (don't) have parents-- doesn't work. I get: 'SQLite error 1 near ")": syntax error.

Hm, can't reproduce from the get go.. Please tell me the exact rule that leads to this error message..

About input fields getting updated to the name of the leftmost section (perhaps the section left of the active one): I had this numerous times, but didn't think much of it. When this happens, usually it is after modifiying a dropdownbox. Just now, tried to trace steps, found one instance where this happens: when a note is created in the meantime.

HUGE THANKS, the information about note creation was the missing piece! Thanks to it I managed to track down and fix the issue.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:That's fine with me.

Great! This won't make it into 3.3 though, will have to plan it for a later version.

I disagree. Rule order does have an impact on the execution. Whether i can control it or not. It's just that CintaNotes does not allow me to modify it. I need to plan rules order before creating or else delete and re-create them.

Note that rules can't see the effect of a rule that comes above it. All rules see the same state of a note, before any rule is applied.
For your chains to work, you'll have to save notes multiple times.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:You mean when it's removed by a rule?

Yes.

I think that fixing the editor updating bug should fix this as well.

F7 or F8

Ok thanks, I'll think about this.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Do you mean ability to move conditions and actions up and down?

Yes.

I agree that it's needed, but this is also something for future versions.

Retested and i think it's working. Probably it's the known refresh bug, that fails to display the tags properly.

Ok, let's wait and see if it pops again.
Alex
date

Postby date » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:21 pm

date wrote:--Tags (don't) have parents-- doesn't work. I get: 'SQLite error 1 near ")": syntax error.

Hm, can't reproduce from the get go.. Please tell me the exact rule that leads to this error message..

Create a new notebook. Make (and save and close) a new note with title 'a' and another one with title 'b.' Create a rule 'If tags don't have parents of 1 add tag 2,' and press Test rule.

Values don't seem to matter, or even if the tag exists or not. Tried on bare cintanotes.exe as well, as well as on multiple OS.

HUGE THANKS, the information about note creation was the missing piece! Thanks to it I managed to track down and fix the issue.

Not entirely sure if this was the only means to get this, hopefully you identified the root cause.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:36 am

date wrote:Create a new notebook. Make (and save and close) a new note with title 'a' and another one with title 'b.' Create a rule 'If tags don't have parents of 1 add tag 2,' and press Test rule.

Thanks, could reproduce now. The problem appears every time the specified tag is not a child tag (doesn't have / in the name).
Will be fixed in 3.3 beta.

Not entirely sure if this was the only means to get this, hopefully you identified the root cause.

Most probably I did. Also in the meantime I discovered a couple of another issues, like switching the db or changing the language while the rule editor is active.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:34 am

Hi Alex,

let me summarize state to some of the latest issues.

• Rules Order
    I finally understand how rules are applied. This was the missing piece "All rules see the same state of a note, before any rule is applied. ". This is so important, that i suggest to add it as a permanent hint to the rules dialog. Thanks for clarifying this.
  • Rules Dialog
    Related to the above i second your suggestion to sort rules by title.
  • Ability to move actions up and down
    For more complex rules i see this as an important feature to edit rules.
  • Hint to applied rules
    As posted before the presentation of applied rules in the notes editor dialog can be improved. Thinking about it, i suggest to not show hints at all. Actually the hint is bugging me. I want rules to simply work, without breaking my attention. For checking the functionality of rules, a context menu could be added. Options are "test rules" or/and "Rules log".

Please note that my main use case is using tags from within the note editor.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi Thomas,

I finally understand how rules are applied. This was the missing piece "All rules see the same state of a note, before any rule is applied. ". This is so important, that i suggest to add it as a permanent hint to the rules dialog. Thanks for clarifying this.

No problem. Adding such hint would be a bit too much IMO, but I'll think how to make this info more prominent.

Related to the above i second your suggestion to sort rules by title.

Added to the backlog for v3.4

For more complex rules i see this as an important feature to edit rules.

Also planned for 3.4.

As posted before the presentation of applied rules in the notes editor dialog can be improved. Thinking about it, i suggest to not show hints at all. Actually the hint is bugging me. I want rules to simply work, without breaking my attention. For checking the functionality of rules, a context menu could be added. Options are "test rules" or/and "Rules log".

Probably will simply make displaying rule application hints an option.
Not quite clear to me where this context menu should be located? In the note editor?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Not quite clear to me where this context menu should be located? In the note editor?

Yes.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:58 am

All right, but what will those items do? For example, you select "Test rules". What happens next?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:31 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:All right, but what will those items do? For example, you select "Test rules". What happens next?

Hi Alex,

actually your suggestion to add an option to hide the hints seems easier to understand and implement. However, i suggest to add it to the UI. For example in menu Help\Debug\Show rule hints. That way i can easily turn it on (without restarting CintaNotes) to debug rules (check what rules were triggered) while easily being able to turn them off, when not needed.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:47 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:actually your suggestion to add an option to hide the hints seems easier to understand and implement. However, i suggest to add it to the UI. For example in menu Help\Debug\Show rule hints. That way i can easily turn it on (without restarting CintaNotes) to debug rules (check what rules were triggered) while easily being able to turn them off, when not needed.

Ok I agree and will add it to plan for V3.4
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:46 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:actually your suggestion to add an option to hide the hints seems easier to understand and implement. However, i suggest to add it to the UI. For example in menu Help\Debug\Show rule hints. That way i can easily turn it on (without restarting CintaNotes) to debug rules (check what rules were triggered) while easily being able to turn them off, when not needed.
Ok I agree and will add it to plan for V3.4

Excellent. Thank you!

Thomas

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”