• Rules: add F8 shortcut to call up Rules list

Fixes:
  • Message dialogs: "Don't ask again" didn't work when selecting "No"
  • HTML export: bullets not indented properly
  • Rules: sometimes condition and action values were replaced by section names
  • Rules editor: fix incorrect TAB order and initial focus
  • Rules: rule actions upon save weren't always reflected in the note editor
  • Rules: switching db should be prohibited when rule editor is displayed
  • Rules: "have parents of" condition for tags produced SQLite error when specified tag doesn't have parents

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_3_3_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_3_3.zip

Huge thanks to date and Thomas for help in testing the beta!
Alex
Bill

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 3.3 Final

Postby Bill » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:33 pm

I've just noticed some odd behavior in this release. When I click on the up or down arrow in the list of tags, the list moves very rapidly (and almost unstoppably!) up or down. Before this release, those arrows moved one slowly up or down the list, one line at a time. I much prefer the old way.

Bill Peterson
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:42 pm

Can confirm the scrolling behaviour (a single click on the scroll arrow will scroll the tag list all the way to the end, top or bottom, depending on what arrow you clicked).

I doubt this was an intentional change.

Chris

Edit: Actually, it gets worse. You don't need to click the scroll arrows in the tag list. Simply clicking on a section that has a list large enough to have a scroll arrow will automatically start the tag list scrolling! It seems to only scroll downwards though, if you leave the section alone and let the list scroll to the end, click off the section and then back onto it again, it won't scroll a second time.
date

Postby date » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:41 pm

You can stop the scrolling by dragging a tag outside of CN. This way, you get to keep the currently selected tag.

But you are right, it is quite unusable without a scrollwheel, this can't be intentional.

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Simply clicking on a section that has a list large enough to have a scroll arrow will automatically start the tag list scrolling!
Don't have that here...
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi Alex,

dragging multiple notes onto a section at once is not supported. Do you have plans to do so?

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:45 pm

Rules Dialog

Today i realized, that i need rules that are technically identical, but differ in content only. For example the destination section. It can be handy to have a "duplicate this rule" feature.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi Alex,

it's about time to once more appreciate the great work you're doing with CintaNotes. My favorite tool is getting better and better and better...

It's unbelievable.

Thank you!

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:02 am

Hi guys,
Thanks for reporting the issue. Indeed this is a regression and not intentional behavior.
We'll issue a hotfix for it asap.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:03 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:dragging multiple notes onto a section at once is not supported. Do you have plans to do so?

Hm, but it _is_ supported. Just select multiple notes and drag them. Probably the "+ N notes" that appears on the bottom of the dragged note is easy to overlook.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:04 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Today i realized, that i need rules that are technically identical, but differ in content only. For example the destination section. It can be handy to have a "duplicate this rule" feature.

Already done. Please see the 'Duplicate' command in the context menu of the rules list.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:07 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:it's about time to once more appreciate the great work you're doing with CintaNotes. My favorite tool is getting better and better and better...

It's unbelievable.

Thank you!

Thanks a lot, Thomas! Means a lot to me! Sometimes that amount of work needed is overwhelming, and sales are not really growing much which can be daunting. But I still believe that CN has a unique approach and that we're on to something here.
And without help of all of you I wouldn't be able to deliver even a fraction of the work. Thanks!!
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:27 am

date wrote:Don't have that here...

Click the scroll arrow to start the tag list scrolling, then immediately click away to another section. After a few seconds, click back on the previous section - you will see the tag list scrolling all by itself.

If you do the same thing, then rather than clicking back on the previous section, you click on another section that has a long list, you will see it scroll all by itself, even though you had not clicked on this one before.

Another effect of it is that if you scroll your mousewheel instead of clicking the scroll arrow (eg mousewheel up in my case), CN will start to scroll as a result of the mousewheel (eg the list will start to move up), then CN will simply over-ride your mousewheel scroll and scroll in the opposite direction (eg down in my case).

It's hilarious :) Glad it is a bug, and not intentional - it is a huge mess.

Chris
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:33 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:it's about time to once more appreciate the great work you're doing with CintaNotes. My favorite tool is getting better and better and better...

It's unbelievable.

Thank you!

Seconded! :)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:42 am

Good news everyone! ((c) Prof. Farnsworth)

A fix for the scroll buttons bug is now available!
See here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2200
Alex
Bill

Postby Bill » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:58 pm

I've only begun using CintaNotes this summer, but I am very impressed by it. Some of you may be interested in a small discussion that I initiated recently on the Outliner Software forum:

http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/ ... cintanotes

Bill
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:18 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:dragging multiple notes onto a section at once is not supported. Do you have plans to do so?
Hm, but it _is_ supported. Just select multiple notes and drag them. Probably the "+ N notes" that appears on the bottom of the dragged note is easy to overlook.

Yes, that's right. I see it now. If you know how the feature is implemented it's ok. For the first time it's not intuitive though. My focus is on the top as i look for the section to drag onto. I don't look at the bottom. I had expected something like multiple overlapping frames, that is more easy to recognize.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:19 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Today i realized, that i need rules that are technically identical, but differ in content only. For example the destination section. It can be handy to have a "duplicate this rule" feature.

Already done. Please see the 'Duplicate' command in the context menu of the rules list.

Thanks. It's there :). Just overlooked it.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:05 am

Bill wrote:I've only begun using CintaNotes this summer, but I am very impressed by it. Some of you may be interested in a small discussion that I initiated recently on the Outliner Software forum:

http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/ ... cintanotes

Bill

Thanks for promoting CN, Bill, and for sharing this here.
By the way the information about limitations mentioned there is outdated.
Recent CN version should have no trouble managing of up to 10,000 notes of reasonable size _per section_,
and up to 100,000 notes in total per notebook, and if you need more you also can divide them into notebooks.
If you can live with a slight performance degradation, CN easily handles even more notes.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:08 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Yes, that's right. I see it now. If you know how the feature is implemented it's ok. For the first time it's not intuitive though. My focus is on the top as i look for the section to drag onto. I don't look at the bottom. I had expected something like multiple overlapping frames, that is more easy to recognize.

Yes, probably not the best way to display it, but was easier to implement.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:36 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Yes, that's right. I see it now. If you know how the feature is implemented it's ok. For the first time it's not intuitive though. My focus is on the top as i look for the section to drag onto. I don't look at the bottom. I had expected something like multiple overlapping frames, that is more easy to recognize.
Yes, probably not the best way to display it, but was easier to implement.

Hi Alex,

it's misleading to show the note that was touched for dragging the group.

How about the following suggestion?

When dragging multiple notes, show a common and empty frame and as the title show the total number of notes.

An alternative could be to show a frame with a list of the note titles to be dragged. As there will be a limit of notes to be listed, the last line can display the count of notes left.

For example:

note1
note2
note3
5 more notes to be moved

Thomas

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”