[Editing] Recognize and highlight HTTP links inside notes (#70)

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!

Vote for or against this feature:

Implement it asap (+2)
71%
Would be nice to have (+1)
29%
I don't need it personally (-1)
No votes
Don't do it (-2)
No votes

Total votes: 17
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Editing] Recognize and highlight HTTP links inside notes (#70)

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:02 am

This one has been around for a long time, but I received another request for it via email and thought it would be fair to let people vote for it.

Thomas Sinclair wrote:
Here's something odd though, that maybe could become a feature:
1. In the editor window, when URLs are typed, they become "live" (blue and clickable) as soon as the cursor passes their last character.
2. This allows for several clickable urls in the note's text, not just the one at the bottom in the Link box (often very useful)
3. But when the note is saved and reopened in the editor, the URLs are no longer clickable.
4. The URLs may be made clickable again by placing the cursor at the end and pressing the SPACE bar, but you must do this one at a time.
Can you allow URLs in the Editor's text window remain clickable when the Editor is closed and reopened? Or possibly add a setting option for this?
Alex
ale

Re: [Editing] Recognize and highlight HTTP links inside notes (#70)

Postby ale » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:28 pm

As always it would be an interesting feature, the only drawback to keep in mind is that if not well implemented it makes selection and editing of the text of the links difficult (whole link or part of it) because I saw some applications where the mouse pointer becomes an hand and you can't do much editing anymore. A contextual menu for links might be part of a solution with an item like "Copy link to clipboard" and maybe something like "Copy all links in the note to clipboard", a bit like we may have in web browsers
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:45 pm

ale wrote:As always it would be an interesting feature, the only drawback to keep in mind is that if not well implemented it makes selection and editing of the text of the links difficult (whole link or part of it) because I saw some applications where the mouse pointer becomes an hand and you can't do much editing anymore. A contestual menu for links might be part of a solution with an item like "Copy link to clipboard" and maybe something like "Copy all links in the note to clipboard", a bit like we may have in web browsers

I have to agree that this needs to be done properly. Personally I prefer software that gives me a blue underlined link as is the standard, but requires a control-click to open in a browser. This way you are free to edit the link and won't accidentally open. However, while the ctrl-click is a standard for many programs, it may not be "easily discoverable" to someone with little experience. A mouse over tool tip saying "control-click to follow" might be a good way to do this, or implement click to follow by default with an option to set a requirement for ctrl-click.
-Todd
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:27 am

toddclausen wrote:
ale wrote:As always it would be an interesting feature, the only drawback to keep in mind is that if not well implemented it makes selection and editing of the text of the links difficult (whole link or part of it) because I saw some applications where the mouse pointer becomes an hand and you can't do much editing anymore. A contestual menu for links might be part of a solution with an item like "Copy link to clipboard" and maybe something like "Copy all links in the note to clipboard", a bit like we may have in web browsers

I have to agree that this needs to be done properly. Personally I prefer software that gives me a blue underlined link as is the standard, but requires a control-click to open in a browser. This way you are free to edit the link and won't accidentally open. However, while the ctrl-click is a standard for many programs, it may not be "easily discoverable" to someone with little experience. A mouse over tool tip saying "control-click to follow" might be a good way to do this, or implement click to follow by default with an option to set a requirement for ctrl-click.

I would prefer that such use of CTRL be an option - like it is in some other products.
I just like to click (no CTRL) to follow a link. Nod
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:17 pm

Instead of CTRL-Click, why not use double click? It not easy to use accidentaly, but retains the accessability...
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:21 pm

Midas wrote:Instead of CTRL-Click, why not use double click? It not easy to use accidentaly, but retains the accessability...

I just like a consistency of interface across applications.
Is there a standard, implied or defined, on this?
Nod
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:31 pm

Various solutions are used across different plataforms and applications... the solutions proposed are all used in one or another.

Micro$oft apps in general, and Windows, in particular, are known to severely lack consistency between versions.

We can always have a vote on this.
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:40 pm

Can't we cover all the angles by options?
I like single click, but I appreciate others may like something else.
Nod

Return to “Feature Requests”