[CantReproduce] Windows 7: "Mutex is present but can't find main window"

dwbrant

[CantReproduce] Windows 7: "Mutex is present but can't find main window"

Postby dwbrant » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:19 pm

First, let me just say how much I love CintaNotes. I have tried a dozen note-keeping apps, and CN is the one for me ... it's easy to use, easy to figure out, simple, and very quick.

An early report on Windows 7 RC x64 (build 7100):

I have CN (beta M9) installed and in the startup menu so that it starts when I login. It is set to start minimized and in the systray.

When I login, I get the following message box:

Mutex.png
Mutex error message
Mutex.png (21.02 KiB) Viewed 8590 times

I hope that works; if not, here's the text of the messagebox:

---------------------------
Error
Mutex is present but can't find main window
OK

This 'bug' doesn't prevent CN from functioning at all. It just appears each time I login. When I exit the program and then start it up myself, I do not get the message.
toddclausen

Re: Windows 7: "Mutex is present but can't find main window"

Postby toddclausen » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:46 pm

I'll take a look at this when I get a chance - right now I am running the portable version on RC1 (7100) with a shortcut to the executable in the start-up folder and it works fine. Personally I hate installing anything that I don't have too...
-Todd
ale

Postby ale » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:14 pm

I think I saw that message a couple of times with Windows XP but I also know I was doing strange things with users and so on, so I didn't take note of the details and now I can't remember anything. I guess it's the mechanism CN uses to see if there's another instance running, eventually trying to activate that but failing to do so. I really don't know how to reproduce this but one thing I would try is to make sure there's only one autorun entry and/or trying deleting and recreating the autostart entry for CN (even in a different way if possible). For a professional answer wait the developer! :)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Yes, this is indeed the mechanism CN uses to prevent running second instance of the application, which would otherwise lead to nasty hotkey and file collisions.

So CN does start, despite the error message?
You say you get this message only when running CN via a shortcut in the Startup folder? For starting minimized, do you use the -m parameter, or the shortcut properties? Do you get this behavior when you use the "Options/Run at System Startup" option?
Could it have happened that you were using both Startup folder and "Options/Run at System Startup" ?

Thanks
Alex
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:07 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Yes, this is indeed the mechanism CN uses to prevent running second instance of the application, which would otherwise lead to nasty hotkey and file collisions.

So CN does start, despite the error message?
You say you get this message only when running CN via a shortcut in the Startup folder? For starting minimized, do you use the -m parameter, or the shortcut properties? Do you get this behavior when you use the "Options/Run at System Startup" option?
Could it have happened that you were using both Startup folder and "Options/Run at System Startup" ?

Thanks

This makes sense - there would be two startup entries in the registry in this case and cause a conflict - but would allow one instance to function normally. Over the weekend I did install CintaNotes on my Win7 test box but didn't get the error running on Limited Privilege Account. May try again tonight with these two set on.
-Todd

Re: [CantReproduce] Windows 7: "Mutex is present but can't find main window"

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:01 am

Same here.

I had two startup CintaNotes links.
One in Startup All users (C:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\startup
And one in this folder: C:\documents and settings\my name\start menu\programs\startup

I cancelled the one in All users and now I don't see the error any more.

Return to “Bug Reports”