[Ann] CintaNotes 3.9 Beta 1

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 3.9 Beta 1

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:32 am

Jul 22, 2017 - Version 3.9 Beta 1

In this version:

Features:
  • Dock main and editor windows to screen edges (to turn off: window.docking.screen.enabled in cintanotes.settings)
  • Dock editor windows to main window (to turn off: editor.docking.enabled in cintanotes.settings)

Enhancements:
  • Clipping: don't record browser name in note title.
    (Any program name can be specified in clipping.title.strip.program.list parameter.
    To strip all program names, put asterisk(*) as the param value.
    To turn off, set clipping.title.strip.program.enabled to 0.)
Fixes:
  • Regression: extra newlines when clipping HTML from Firefox
  • Synchronization: fix syncing attachments when WebDAV returned error

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Download:
Portable: CintaNotes_3_9_Beta1.zip
Installable: CintaNotes_3_9_Beta1_Setup.exe
Alex
Clairvaux

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 3.9 Beta 1

Postby Clairvaux » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:12 am

Dock main and editor windows to screen edges.
Clipping: don't record browser name in note title.

Very interesting additions (I haven't tried the beta version). Each time I clip a note, I have to edit the browser name out of the title.
gunars

Postby gunars » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi Alex

Thanks for the ability to strip the program names - a welcome addition. I've been meaning to request this, but you beat me to it.

The docking works well, even on the secondary monitor attached to my laptop.

A small issue with newlines - this is probably a never ending bad dream, like trying to put 10 kittens into a box ;) :

When I select the 3.9 Beta 1 announcement above and clip it in Firefox 54.0.1, I get an extra empty bulleted line between the two items under Features and under Fixes. It work correctly under IE 11 and Chrome.

Thanks for the continual improvements.

Gunars
Ovg

Postby Ovg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi Alex!

Thank you so much for ability to strip the program names - VERY USEFUL feature!!!
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
CN 3.14β3 LifeTime Pro Licence / Windows 7 SP1 x64
date

Postby date » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:13 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote: [*]Dock main and editor windows to screen edges (to turn off: window.docking.screen.enabled in cintanotes.settings)
[*]Dock editor windows to main window (to turn off: editor.docking.enabled in cintanotes.settings)[/list]

What does it do and how does it work? When moving the screen, it hiccups. If docking means attaching, it is not possible to align the window to the screen edges this way. It will either stop before or go behind the edges. Also (if docking means attaching...) it doesn't seem to be possible to 'dock' an edit window to the main screen? So when you move the main screen, the edit window will move along, it sounds like that is the objective, right? Also, when the screen is maximized, and you move it by dragging the title bar, the text in the notelist is continuously being reflowed while the window is being dragged. Not that it's bad, but is there a reason? Am I missing something?

[*]Regression: extra newlines when clipping HTML from Firefox

I didn't experience any regression, but it is definitely much better than how it was. No more lines consisting just of one or more spaces!
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:39 am

Clairvaux wrote:Very interesting additions (I haven't tried the beta version). Each time I clip a note, I have to edit the browser name out of the title.

Glad you like it! Would be great if you could also try it out and say if it works like you expect)

gunars wrote:When I select the 3.9 Beta 1 announcement above and clip it in Firefox 54.0.1, I get an extra empty bulleted line between the two items under Features and under Fixes. It work correctly under IE 11 and Chrome.

Hi Gunars, yes, this is a complex feature that is impossible to implement perfectly.
I could reproduce the issue you were talking about, and will try to fix it in the 3.9 final. Thanks!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:40 am

Ovg wrote:Thank you so much for ability to strip the program names - VERY USEFUL feature!!!

Great, thanks!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 am

date wrote:What does it do and how does it work?

Yes it should simply snap to screen and window edges. No "moving-together" function though.
Just found out that it doesn't work when Aero is disabled. Back to drawing board)

I didn't experience any regression, but it is definitely much better than how it was. No more lines consisting just of one or more spaces!

Great to hear! There are still issues (see Gunars above), but we'll iron everything out eventually!
Alex
gunars

Postby gunars » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:25 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Great to hear! There are still issues (see Gunars above), but we'll iron everything out eventually!

And then the browsers will come out with new versions that will break everything again :shock: .
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 am

date, here's a fixed version that works with Vista/7 classic theme and also with XP. Could you please check it out?

http://cintanotes.com/files/beta/CintaN ... _Beta2.zip
Alex
date

Postby date » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:date, here's a fixed version that works with Vista/7 classic theme and also with XP. Could you please check it out?

http://cintanotes.com/files/beta/CintaN ... _Beta2.zip
I see, it works, except for docking the edit window to the main window.
It's a nice addition, but I didn't expect this to be one of the 'top rated ideas' on the roadmap.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:16 am

date wrote:I see, it works, except for docking the edit window to the main window.

Doesn't editor snap its position to the main window when you move it around?

It's a nice addition, but I didn't expect this to be one of the 'top rated ideas' on the roadmap.

Me too, but it is pretty handy, and was not hard to implement.
Alex
date

Postby date » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:02 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Doesn't editor snap its position to the main window when you move it around?
No, just to the screen edges.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:06 am

date wrote:No, just to the screen edges.

Note that this works only when you move the editor, not the main window. (Main window doesn't snap to editors).
Still doesn't work for you?
Alex
date

Postby date » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:57 am

Still doesn't work for you?
It docks to the outside side of the border of the main window. I tried docking it on the inside :mrgreen: . So, it's working.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:14 am

date wrote:It docks to the outside side of the border of the main window. I tried docking it on the inside . So, it's working.

Well, this is kinda by design ;) Did you expect three-frame-view already in this release? :)
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”