[Ann] CintaNotes 3.9 Final

HBrax44

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 3.9 Final

Postby HBrax44 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm new to trying to use CintaNotes. I have found I can clip a highlighted text from a PDF and it works as described in Help; but when I try to clip a highlighted text from a webpage(Wikipedia) all I get is the title of the webpage and that is not at all useful. What is wrong? Others seem to be able to use CintaNotes to clip Web pages.
Bill

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:32 am

If you have access to another mouse, or have spare batteries, you could try to swap to be sure. How you describe the behavior, it is the first thing I think of. But it could be many other things as well.

A very belated response to this question: sorry, I've been on the road lately.

I substituted another mouse, but CN still shuddered and jumped about on the screen when it got near an edge. And when I eliminated a mouse altogether and simply moved CN with my fingers on a touch screen (the Surface Pro 4), the problem persisted.

So I conclude it is not a mouse problem.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:41 am

HBrax44 wrote:I'm new to trying to use CintaNotes. I have found I can clip a highlighted text from a PDF and it works as described in Help; but when I try to clip a highlighted text from a webpage(Wikipedia) all I get is the title of the webpage and that is not at all useful. What is wrong? Others seem to be able to use CintaNotes to clip Web pages.

Hi HBrax44, could you please tell which version of Windows and which browser you are using? Thanks!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:43 am

Bill wrote:
If you have access to another mouse, or have spare batteries, you could try to swap to be sure. How you describe the behavior, it is the first thing I think of. But it could be many other things as well.

A very belated response to this question: sorry, I've been on the road lately.

I substituted another mouse, but CN still shuddered and jumped about on the screen when it got near an edge. And when I eliminated a mouse altogether and simply moved CN with my fingers on a touch screen (the Surface Pro 4), the problem persisted.

So I conclude it is not a mouse problem.

Thomas above seems to have the same problem as you do. Now we need to find out what your systems have in common. One suspect is DPI setting - do you have a high-DPI screen? Does the problem go away when you switch to a lower DPI setting?
Alex
Ovg

Postby Ovg » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:52 am

HBrax44 wrote: but when I try to clip a highlighted text from a webpage(Wikipedia) all I get is the title of the webpage

Could you please give example of that page(s). I don't have any problem with Wikipedia.
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
CN 3.14β3 LifeTime Pro Licence / Windows 7 SP1 x64
Bill

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:13 am

Thomas above seems to have the same problem as you do. Now we need to find out what your systems have in common. One suspect is DPI setting - do you have a high-DPI screen? Does the problem go away when you switch to a lower DPI setting?

On my Surface Pro 4 I have the screen resolution set at 21736 x 1824 (the recommended setting). I just now changed it (temporarily) to a lower DPI, and that does indeed make the jumping stop.
Bill

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:14 am

P.S. I meant to type 2736 x 1824. Sorry about the typo.
date

Postby date » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:35 am

Found out there is the same thing on my Win 8.1 computer. I made a video: https://yadi.sk/i/BMatSWJZ3Lc9qj

It is hard to see on the video, but while dragging, some contents of the CN window are flickering, especially the menu bar, and, it indeed 'shudders' more heavily on the screen edges, while these two things are not the case for other windows. Also, only sticks to left and top, not right and bottom. And seems to stick to an imaginary line about between 1/3rd and 1/4th of the screen from the left as well, hence the 'jumping.'

The mouse movements made while making the video are fluid, some shakiness can be contributed to the screen recorder, and the flickering doesn't come out that well, but there is a huge difference between CN and some other window.

Win 8.1, 1920 x 1080, touchscreen. When changed to 1600 x 900, the imaginary line moves to about 40% of the screen from the left, but no difference in behavior otherwise. Changed design to 'Windows Standard,' no difference. I'm not sure how to figure out the dpi.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:40 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I also have Win 10 but sadly I can't reproduce any of that behavior (except the mouse cursor part).
I suspect this could be DPI-related, since snap distance depends on system metrics SM_CXDRAG, which is in its turn dpi-dependent.
Probably you have a high DPI setting?

I don't think so. I do use a dual monitor setup though.
HBrax44

Postby HBrax44 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:51 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
HBrax44 wrote:I'm new to trying to use CintaNotes. I have found I can clip a highlighted text from a PDF and it works as described in Help; but when I try to clip a highlighted text from a webpage(Wikipedia) all I get is the title of the webpage and that is not at all useful. What is wrong? Others seem to be able to use CintaNotes to clip Web pages.

Hi HBrax44, could you please tell which version of Windows and which browser you are using? Thanks!

Yes, I am using Windows 10 and Edge browser; I will now try Chrome; it works in Chrome, Internet Explorer 11, Opera; It does not work in the latest Firefox.
HBrax44

Postby HBrax44 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:23 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:

Sure Windows10; Web clipping does not work in the Edge Browser, Firefox, and PaleMoon. CintaNotes Web Clipping works in Internet Explorer 11, Chrome, and Cliqz Browsers. I had no idea from the Help pages that the function was browser specific. It looks like that would be something you should tell prospective users. Of course, your development team should try to find out why Web Clipping does not work in Edge and the Firefox browsers, and if there is a workaround. I suppose I could highlight and copy to the clipboard or to ClipMate and then insert into a tagged page in CintaNotes.
gunars

Postby gunars » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:38 pm

I tried clipping to CN 3.9 from the current Firefox 54.0.1 on several Wikipedia pages and it worked ok for me, but I'm using Win7, not Win10.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:41 am

Thanks a lot for the video, date!
Yes, this is definitely a high-DPI issue - I was able to reproduce it simply by changing the scaling factor in Windows.

HBrax44 wrote: Web clipping does not work in the Edge Browser, Firefox, and PaleMoon. CintaNotes Web Clipping works in Internet Explorer 11, Chrome, and Cliqz Browsers. I had no idea from the Help pages that the function was browser specific. It looks like that would be something you should tell prospective users.

Well, every time clipping doesn't work, we consider it to be a bug and try to fix it asap. This is why we don't advertise the feature as browser-specific.
Clipping from Edge doesn't currently work - I confirm this as a bug that will be fixed as well.
About Firefox - please tell me your Firefox version and clipping hotkey that you're using (if different from default). Thanks a lot!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:47 am

Bill, Thomas, everyone else who has high-DPI monitors:
Please try this version viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2352&p=12520#p12520
Should fix the window docking issues.
Thanks!
Alex
Bill

Postby Bill » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Yes, that seems to clear up the problem, though I should report that the CintaNotes still jiggles slightly when I move it around on the screen (even when it is not near a screen edge).
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Bill wrote:Yes, that seems to clear up the problem, though I should report that the CintaNotes still jiggles slightly when I move it around on the screen (even when it is not near a screen edge).

Thanks for checking. Is the jiggle a major annoyance? Does it go away when you turn off window docking?
Alex
Bill

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:19 am

No, the minor jiggling is not a serious problem.

But I seem to have missed something in this discussion: is there now a simple way of turning off the window docking feature?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Bill wrote:But I seem to have missed something in this discussion: is there now a simple way of turning off the window docking feature?

Not yet, I plan to add it in the next update - 3.9.2
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”