request: dark theme

Forum rules
1. Please keep it one request/suggestion per topic.
2. Please mark the requests with the following tags:
[Startup] - issue related to the program's startup or shutdown process;
[Taking] and [Clipping] - related to acquiring/creating notes (excl. editing);
[Viewing] - related to notes list browsing and reading;
[Editing] - related to the process of editing new and existing notes;
[Search] - related to note searching and finding;
[Managing] - related to note organization and management;
[Reordering/Sorting] - related to sorting or reordering the notes list;
[Clipboard] - clipboard operations;
[Import] and [Export] - issue related to bulk notes import/export;
[Globalization] - issues related to multiple languages/cultures support;
[Files] and [Backup] - file operations,notes back-end and backup;
[UI] - UI issues which don't fall into any of the above categories;
[Other] - other issues which don't fall into any of the above categories.

Thank you!
shawnkhall

request: dark theme

Postby shawnkhall » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:41 pm

I've only been using CintaNotes for about 24 hours, but I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, it's too bright. There are several options under 'view, color theme' to change the style - but it looks like they only change the icon color.

Please offer an ability to get a darker theme. In Notepad++ you can do this by switching to a different theme at Settings, Style Configurator, Select Theme...

Here's the default theme:
http://12pd.com/s/npp-theme-def.png

And here's the dark (zenburn) theme:
http://12pd.com/s/npp-theme-dark.png

The difference, when you have 6 displays in front of you, is quite literally night and day.

Please offer a darker theme. I found a similar thread from over 4 years ago, but don't see any other method to alter the theme than the iconography option at view, color theme - and that's really not enough.
Arseniy (CN Support)

Re: request: dark theme

Postby Arseniy (CN Support) » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:32 am

Hello shawnkhall!

shawnkhall wrote:Please offer an ability to get a darker theme.

This feature request is quite popular.
Color scheme customization is already planned for next versions of Cintanotes.
Here is a link for this request - http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/319 ... omization/
You are welcome to vote for it and join the discussion!

Thanks!
-----------
Best regards,
Arseniy Slavschik, CintaNotes Support Team.
shawnkhall

Postby shawnkhall » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:51 am

Awesome, thank you!
ChaosCloud

Postby ChaosCloud » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:52 am

I know that colour customization is on the roadmap, but it seems like this is coming with a major update to the program, and I guess it could be a while still.

In the meantime could we possibly get a tweak to the program... maybe add a couple lines to the .settings file for text colour and background colour? Or a way to invert all colours within the window?

Unfortunately I get eyestrain pretty quickly with bright backgrounds. Otherwise I am really liking the program.

Thanks,
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:55 am

Hi,

I understand your problem, but unfortunately a few tweaks here and there won't be enough - it's a bit more involved.
For example, the issue that highlight and selection color should always be contrast to the background etc.
Alex
Bill

Postby Bill » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:45 pm

Alex, surely a pale cream background would not require adjustments in the various forms of highlighting. Why not give that to us now (as an alternative, of course) and then introduce a wider range of background colors in the next major release?
shawnkhall

Postby shawnkhall » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:03 pm

Yep. At this point it's been over 8 years since first mention of a dark theme, and 4 years since I initially made this thread requesting it. It was finally acknowledged for the roadmap 10 months ago, but I'm not optimistic it'll ever really get done. For years I've had CN hiding behind other windows and, while I use it often, I only make it visible when I'm actively using it instead of all the time. :(
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:07 am

Bill wrote:Alex, surely a pale cream background would not require adjustments in the various forms of highlighting. Why not give that to us now (as an alternative, of course) and then introduce a wider range of background colors in the next major release?

Would a cintanotes.settings option be ok for this?
And, are we talking only about the editor of note text? NOt remarks, not title... Or are you talking about all edit boxes as well?
There are many of those.
Alex
Bill

Postby Bill » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Would a cintanotes.settings option be ok for this?
And, are we talking only about the editor of note text? NOt remarks, not title... Or are you talking about all edit boxes as well?
There are many of those.

Yes, a settings option (perhaps under "Notes List Options"?) would be fine. What I had in mind was just the background of the note text. This is the color I use in MyInfo:

Hue: 40. Sat: 240. Lum: 235. Red: 255. Green: 255. Blue: 244.

Anything roughly similar to that would be infinitely better than pure white in the notes.

Bill
shawnkhall

Postby shawnkhall » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:16 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Would a cintanotes.settings option be ok for this?
There are many of those.

I would be perfectly happy if just the main interface background were darkened, even inverted - individual notes and text boxes don't matter to me since I have those open far less frequently. And yes, a manual edit to the settings file is fine by me, too.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:41 am

Well, "everything inverted" is may more work than I'd like to have. Let's say we'd add two parameters to the settings file:
noteslist.colors.text and noteslist.colors.background. Both will have the format of a standard HTML color like #55AA00, and will only influence the notes list display, not editor. Would it fit the bill?
Alex
Bill

Postby Bill » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Let's say we'd add two parameters to the settings file:
noteslist.colors.text and noteslist.colors.background. Both will have the format of a standard HTML color like #55AA00, and will only influence the notes list display, not editor. Would it fit the bill?

Alex, I must have misunderstood something you said earlier, because I was under the impression we were talking primarily about the note editing box. Having the notes list in some color other than white would be pleasant enough, but the the real crux of the issue -- to my mind, anyway -- is the glaring white note editing box, which I have to stare at endlessly when I am using CintaNotes. I'm not tremendously fussy about the color: almost any light version of cream or yellow or gray or even blue would be fine (though I prefer cream): just banish the unspeakable white!
shawnkhall

Postby shawnkhall » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:53 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Let's say we'd add two parameters to the settings file:

That would work for me. :)
shawnkhall

Postby shawnkhall » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Bill wrote:Having the notes list in some color other than white would be pleasant enough, but the the real crux of the issue -- to my mind, anyway -- is the glaring white note editing box, which I have to stare at endlessly when I am using CintaNotes.

I would like this too, but it's nowhere near as important to me as the note list. I almost always copy and paste to/from Notepad++ which I use to actually edit my notes instead of the note editor, and in Notepad++ I use the Zenburn theme which is pleasantly dark. If you go this route, make sure you enable the option in settings, preferences, print, "black on white".
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:38 am

Well I guess the solomon solution would be then to use both colors for note editing as well. Or introduce 2 other color parameters.
Anyhow, we'll come up with something.
Alex
danielson

Postby danielson » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 pm

Just posting to say i'm interested in development of this thread and of dark themes.

Return to “Feature Requests”