flicker

Bill

flicker

Postby Bill » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:00 pm

Whenever I type more than a few lines of text in a note, the upper lines of the note begin to flicker occasionally. This doesn't happen with any other program that I use. And I get the same result in experiments with a different keyboard.

Does anyone else have this problem?
date

Re: flicker

Postby date » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Every 15 seconds? Could be autosave.
Bill

Postby Bill » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:19 pm

I don't think it's an autosave problem. The flickering happens only when I am typing. The first line to flicker is about five lines from the top of the note, then that stops and another line farther down flickers for a moment, and it moves down through the text like that (not affecting every line). Finally it moves up toward the top again. In each case only one line flickers at a time.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:20 am

Hi Bill,

I'd need to know your version of Windows and whether Aero/Desktop Composition is enabled. Thanks!
Alex
Bill

Postby Bill » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:27 pm

I'm using Windows 10 on a Surface Pro. But I will betray my ignorance by saying that I don't know what "Aero/Desktop Composition" is; a search for it in the Windows Settings menu doesn't turn anything up.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:15 am

Hi Bill,
Terribly sorry for disappearing from here for a while. Is the problem still actual for you?
Alex
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:30 pm

I have exactly the same problem. I'm using Windows 7 and CintaNotes 3.11. With an Aero theme, the flickering is constant (when I'm writing) and quite annoying. With Aero disabled, there is practically no flickering (very occasionally some line flashes, but much less than with Aero enabled).
Until a few days ago I was using CintaNotes 2.6. With that version the flickering is very infrequent, whether Aero is enabled or not.
CintaNotes is the only application in which I have observed this problem.

One question: What is the oldest version of CintaNotes that supports the current database files? I would gladly go back to version 2.6, but if the database file of 3.11 can't be opened in 2.6 I would lose all the changes I made since I upgraded to 3.11...

Anyway, congratulations for this fantastic application. I have been using it constantly since 2010. Virtually all the information I want to keep is there!
Bill

Postby Bill » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Alex, sorry I didn't spot your reply earlier. The answer is yes, the flicker is still there, and it's very troubling to the eyes. If you could find a way to get rid of it, I'm sure I would be using CintaNotes even more than I do now.

Rick, I'm not sure I understand your comment about an "Aero theme." What is that? I'm of course familiar with the various color theme options available under the View menu, but I gather this is something else you're talking about.

Bill
Bill

Postby Bill » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:18 pm

A quick P.S. Poking around on my computer, I see that Aero is a choice within Windows, not within CN. Sorry about my confusion. Alex, can you endorse this or any other technique to reduce the flicker?
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Indeed, Aero is the name of the graphical interface of Windows Vista and Windows 7 (I don't know if Windows 10 has something similar). It is what makes the windows partially transparent and puts a drop shadow behind. I have verified that the blinking in CintaNotes is noticeably reduced if Aero is disabled (at least in my Windows 7). I guess this may be a temporary solution...
Bill

Postby Bill » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Thanks. I will explore this.
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:04 am

Sorry to dredge this old thread up, but I am having this issue on Win 10 (latest version). It's only when I am typing, some of the text already written in the note above where I am typing flickers. It isn't all the time - but it is fairly frequent.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:33 am

Hi Chris, thanks for your message!
Since we are focusing on the new UI anyway, it's hardly feasible for us to address UI-related issues in CN3, sorry.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”