Note focus and Searching

Noddy330

Note focus and Searching

Postby Noddy330 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:27 am

I searched (anywhere) for a note containing “car”
I clicked on one of those notes
And pressed ESC to clear the search
The (note) focus moved to the note at the top of the list

I would prefer the note focus remained on the note I had clicked.

Is this a bug, an enhancement request, or is this the way it is meant to work?

Thanks, Nod
Midas

Re: Note focus and Searching

Postby Midas » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:30 am

I guess focus moved because the search was cancelled -- didn't you get back to the all selection, or you have the tag sidebar hidden?
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Yes - ESC displayed all notes, and cancelled my selection, but I didn't think I had cancelld my 'click'
I had tag sidebar on - with ALL selected
Nod
ale

Postby ale » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:00 pm

If we don't press esc but the "X" in the search box the same happens, so technically the focus seems to move from the notes list to the search box and then after the search is cleared the focus goes back to the first note in the list. CN could remember the focused note before clearing the search and then give back focus to it...

Anyway I also would like the same behaviour Nod suggested. A similar thing happens when we pick a tag in the tag sidebar and then we focus a note. At this point if we pick the "All" tag, the focus goes to the first note in the list but again some people might prefer to have it on the last focused note.
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:47 am

I see... I guess it would be a welcome fix then.
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:36 am

Guys, you've brought up an UI issue that I'm well aware of.
There are many places in CN that would benefit of view following the focused note, such as returning from the editing mode when the note tags changed.

But in the case of pressing ESC to cancel the search filter I'm not so sure. When I press ESC I imply that I'm done with my previous task and would like to start afresh. So let's tackle it from the other side: why do you want to press ESC even though you are not finished with your current task? Maybe the search highlights irritate you and you'd like to turn them off? Or is it something else?
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:00 am

I had a note, that I had found by searching, that I wanted to move to the very top of my notes list. I clicked on the note, and to move it to the top I had to press ESC to see all notes, but that "lost" the note I had selected, and I couldn't easily find it by viewing all notes. In terms of the UI it feels the wrong thing to do. Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:13 am

Noddy330 wrote:I had a note, that I had found by searching, that I wanted to move to the very top of my notes list. I clicked on the note, and to move it to the top I had to press ESC to see all notes, but that "lost" the note I had selected, and I couldn't easily find it by viewing all notes. In terms of the UI it feels the wrong thing to do. Nod

Nod, I think you have a point here. You could have pressed Alt+Home on that note without canceling the filter, and it would have done what you wanted. But I see that it really is not very intuitive and "feels" wrong. Care to turn it into an official feature request? Thanks.
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:16 am

Will do - thanks. Nod

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”