attachments

Bill

attachments

Postby Bill » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:40 pm

I occasionally add attachments (usually images and PDFs of articles [not full books]) to my notes, and even though we have discussed this here in the past, I am still not clear about how much bulk I am adding to a notebook when I do that. If a notebook contains an substantial number of attachments, is there any danger it will become too large? How much will it increase the notebook's size? Will search and other activities begin to slow down at a certain point?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: attachments

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:45 am

Hi Bill,
Attachments are compressed by CN and stored in a separate table in the SQLite database. Data is stored separately from attachment names, this means that when you search, the attachment data is not touched at all. So search speed shouldn't be affected too much. However, when the database becomes very large (more than 1GB), it may lead to slowdown due to the sheer time it is necessary to find and load the needed database page.

If most of your attachments are large (100MB+) and poorly compressable (video/media, archives, compressed pdf), it is better to put them into a separate folder and insert links to them into CN notes.
Alex
Bill

Postby Bill » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:42 pm

Thanks, Alex. I believe that all of my attachments would be well under 100 Mb. I will do some further experiments, and if the results seem to be of potential interest to others, I will report back here later.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:17 am

Ok, no problem at all. Will appreciate you reporting your results!
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”