[Fixed in BetaM10.4] Can't cancel notes started with clip text hotkey

dordave

[Fixed in BetaM10.4] Can't cancel notes started with clip text hotkey

Postby dordave » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:08 pm

First I'd like to say that this software is really great. I actually read about it and installed but thought that it seemed real simple and that my programs were doing a lot more. However after trying it a second time, I found that it's the quickest way to save and find little bits of information. So, Thanks!

When clipping text using ctrl-F12, I notice that you can't cancel the note, neither by pressing escape or clicking cancel.
I'm using win7 and have a feeling it might be an OS issue.
supulton

Re: can't cancel notes started with clip text hotkey

Postby supulton » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:18 am

This is a feature called "Silent Clipping," not a bug. If you want to be able to cancel the clip, make sure "Silent Clipping" is unchecked, and that "Open in Editor" is checked in the "After Clipping" menu. Hope that helps! And I agree, great product.

PS, that applies to version Beta M10; if you're using an older version, update! Otherwise, just turn off silent clipping in the options menu.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Hello dordave,

could you please explain what do you mean under "cancel the note"?
Do you mean that you clipped something and then changed your mind and don't want to save it in CN anymore? If this is the case, then you have to press OK or Cancel in the editor (if you have the "After Clipping/Open in Editor" option turned on)
and press Del in the notes list to delete the note.

Other option would be just not to tag the notes you don't want to keep, and in the end of the day delete them all using the "Untagged" tag sidebar button, Ctrl+A and Del.
Alex
dordave

Postby dordave » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:22 pm

Hello

Yeah, I mean I changed my mind and don't want to save the clip. Of course, it's not a problem that has no solution (I know that I can delete it manually). However, I don't see why the behavior is any different than it is for notes started with the "Add new note" hotkey (which can be cancelled).
johnk

Postby johnk » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:45 pm

dordave wrote:However, I don't see why the behavior is any different than it is for notes started with the "Add new note" hotkey (which can be cancelled).
Dordave has a point.

Now I imagine that the explanation is that the clip text hotkey is an instant save, therefore the "Open in Editor after clipping" option merely offers the opportunity to edit an already saved item. I understand the logic. In fact, personally, I prefer that logic. But I still think most new users will be scratching their head over this behaviour. They will anticipate that the "Cancel" button offers them an opportunity to change their minds.
SanskritFritz

Postby SanskritFritz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:10 pm

johnk wrote:They will anticipate that the "Cancel" button offers them an opportunity to change their minds.
Especially because I tend to use the hotkey accidentally, cintanotes pops up, and I just want to dismiss the dialog with esc.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Confirmed] Can't cancel notes started with clip text hotkey

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:37 am

Added as #213 to the roadmap, can be expected in the next release.
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”