Beta M6 is out! Please discuss it here

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Beta M6 is out! Please discuss it here

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Please discuss the new version of CintaNotes here.
Alex
toddclausen

Re: Beta M6 is out! Please discuss it here

Postby toddclausen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:57 pm

Just downloaded and upgraded the portable version, works very well so far. Seems faster and I like the new search! Thanks!

Update 1 - just noticed the tags and link indicator, nice! But now I would like to click on that little arrow to take me to the link just like in the open note (edit) view...
Last edited by toddclausen on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:11 pm

I'm using the M6 portable edition on a memory stick.
I'd like to be able to
- Rearrange / reorder notes (drag & drop?)
- Edit a note directly (without opening the edit window)
- Hide the main widow using the 'show main window' hotkey (ie the hot key alternately shows and hides)
- Check spelling
But it’s very very good just as it is.
I’m using WIN+C to clip text, WIN+X to show main window.
I'm now using it instead of Stickies, and continuing to use EverNote (v2) and WinOrganizer.
I use ShortKeys to get my timestamp - thus - Fri 30 Jan 2009, 15:57
Great product. I like the regular updates.
Nod
eiphinia

Postby eiphinia » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:48 pm

Exciting! I love M6 >w<, "-m" is really a humanization improvement.

What about to let the "Show main window hot key" can also hide the main window...
eg. If I use Ctrl+F12 to "Show main window hot key" , I need move my hand to the other side of keyboard to close it...

And how about also display the links in the notes list...
I'm note sure if I could use F3 or not, right or fault....
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:06 am

toddclausen wrote:Update 1 - just noticed the tags and link indicator, nice! But now I would like to click on that little arrow to take me to the link just like in the open note (edit) view...

Yes, this will definitely be done! It's just that the whole subsystem of list item interactivity needs to be designed first, that's why I haven't done this yet.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:09 am

Noddy330 wrote:- Rearrange / reorder notes (drag & drop?)
This is on the roadmap.
Noddy330 wrote:- Edit a note directly (without opening the edit window)
This seems to be a controversial issue, as some people want to be able to open multiple edit windows. If a universal solution can be devised, I'll put it on the roadmap.
Noddy330 wrote:- Hide the main widow using the 'show main window' hotkey (ie the hot key alternately shows and hides)
Will be in BetaM7.
Noddy330 wrote:- Check spelling
Good idea, but tricky to implement...

Thanks a lot for your input!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:12 am

eiphinia wrote:What about to let the "Show main window hot key" can also hide the main window...

Will be in BetaM7.

eiphinia wrote:And how about also display the links in the notes list...

A blue arrow icon in the top left corner indicates that this note has a link and that you can Alt-Click on a note to browse it.
Alex
Zop

Postby Zop » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:03 am

Hi,

CintaNotes is a great one for me. Thanks for release it.

But there is a problem about tags search.

I keyin 2 tags in one post 'test try'.
When I search 'test' or 'test try' or 'try' I got post.
But when I search 'try test', I can't get that post.
This should be a bug or something wrong.
Or CintaNotes just can do single search ? Search one word each time only ?
If I can keyin many keywords(tags or post words or both mix!) in search block to find that post, that will be perfect !
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:16 am

Hello Zop,
thanks for trying out the program!

Yes right now the tag search is unfortunately quite limited. Future versions of CintaNotes will have much better tag management and will also be able to search for multiple tags in any order.
Alex
Pierre

Postby Pierre » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:40 am

Hi,

this is a great release. Thx!

P.
itsonlyme

Postby itsonlyme » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:52 pm

hi

i hope any thank is welcome - even if it's only me - so: beta m6 is great!!

one glitch with hyperlinks in the edit window
if I copy a internet address into a note it works like expected (blue font color/underlined/hand cursor)
after saving the note and reopen the link functionality is gone (normal text) - sometimes it's helping to add a return to the line with the link

thanks
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:04 pm

itsonlyme,
thanks a lot for your feedback!
itsonlyme wrote:one glitch with hyperlinks in the edit window
if I copy a internet address into a note it works like expected (blue font color/underlined/hand cursor)
after saving the note and reopen the link functionality is gone (normal text) - sometimes it's helping to add a return to the line with the link

Yes, I'm well aware of this glitch. This is standard behavior of the RichEdit windows control. It can autodetect links when you type or insert them, unfortunately it doesn't do this when text is loaded into it. I wanted to turn the link recognition off, for half-baked is worse than not baked, and it is confusing for people, but in the last moment thought that even this minimum might be useful for someone.

In the next versions I will be implementing URL detection myself, and I hope it will be what you expect ;)
Alex
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:03 pm

Thanks Alex! The XML export sees to work great, I added some SQL and other special characters and everything seems to go fine to XML. There is a minor issue with the portable version - you zipped your projects folder so you have to dig deep for the executable. Otherwise great work!
-Todd
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:26 pm

toddclausen wrote:Thanks Alex! The XML export sees to work great, I added some SQL and other special characters and everything seems to go fine to XML. There is a minor issue with the portable version - you zipped your projects folder so you have to dig deep for the executable. Otherwise great work!

Oh my) That's why I've had the creepy feeling about my new release packaging script ;)
Thank you, I've fixed that!
Alex
mrthermister

Postby mrthermister » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:47 pm

Let me say that after using CintaNotes for a while, it is the END ALL and BE ALL of GTD capture systems...It is all of the following:...a ubiquitous thought & note capture system, a GTD capture trusted system, a knowledge base, and a to-do-list system. It IS bare bones, but that is the beauty of it...nothing to get in the way of your notes and your tags.

The tagging system is the secret to it's success. Everything that comes in to CintaNotes (either by you typing it in manually (which I have set up with a keyboard short cut of Win-A) or by Ctl-F12, with which you can copy anything on the screen, or web) should have the following tags, depending on if it's actionable (a la GTD) or not. Actionable: a status tag (! for immediate, .nextaction (or variation) for next action, s/action, s/waiting, s/someday), a project (i.e p/home/bathroomremodel), and a context (@computer, @call, @home, etc). NOT actionable...it becomes a reference, or archive (r/travelideas, etc.. where the r/ is for reference, or aRchive).

Once an actionable item is completed, you delete the context tag, set the s/ status tag to s/finished (or s/done), and change the project p/ to a aRchived project rp/ which immediately moves the item or task to your knowledge base.

Use CintaNotes as a to-do-list (again, it's always available with a keyboard shortcut) with the effective ! tag. When you need to see what you need to do, just type ! in the tag search bar, and voila! you have your to-do-list pop up! how convenient!. When you've completed a to-do-list, just delete the !, or delete the whole note, depending on if u want to keep a record of what you've accomplished. If you do want to keep the task, just add a completion date in the note some where (at the top is best): Out @ 02/28/09 10:55 AM , is what I use (accomplished with a text macro; I use RoboType, but Texter should work as well)

This system combination of GTD capture tool, knowledge base, and to-do-list can be used with many other applications, but it seems like CintaNotes' simplicity makes this so effective...

One request...allow multiple search criteria to select multiple independent tags... like give me everything I have to do immediately (!) for my bathroom remodel (p/home/bathroomremodel)... This could be accomplished by simply having 3 search boxes at the top... More than 3 tag searches seems unlikely.

Lastly, if you combine CintaNotes with DropBox, you have a capture system with the same notes on all of your computers, no matter where you are; plus, it's continually backed up. You can also use it as a portable app, but then you have to remember to take your USB stick with you. Using it with DropBox means never you have to remember.

Hope this helps you discover for yourself as I have how useful CintaNotes can be. Thanks for it's development guys!
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:57 am

mrthermister wrote:Let me say that after using CintaNotes for a while, it is the END ALL and BE ALL of GTD capture systems...It is all of the following:...a ubiquitous thought & note capture system, a GTD capture trusted system, a knowledge base, and a to-do-list system. It IS bare bones, but that is the beauty of it...nothing to get in the way of your notes and your tags.

Well, let's just say that it is posts like this that make this kind of endeavour so enjoyable for us developers :P Thank you mrthermister for sharing this! And thanks that you copied it here from the portable-freeware.com forum.

I guess as CintaNotes gets more developed, using your system will get more and more convenient. For example, with autocomlete for tags,
you'll just have to type "s/" to have the list of possible statuses. And when notebook sections a.k.a. tabs come around, you'll be able to use tabs for projects.

One request...allow multiple search criteria to select multiple independent tags... like give me everything I have to do immediately (!) for my bathroom remodel (p/home/bathroomremodel)... This could be accomplished by simply having 3 search boxes at the top... More than 3 tag searches seems unlikely.
Well, I wanted to include it in Beta M7 but couldn't make it in time. But now it is implemented. Just type in your tags in the search box, separated with spaces. Also you don't have to type whole tags, partial matches are also ok.
Here is the new executable:
CintaNotes_BetaM7_2.zip
(334.68 KiB) Downloaded 3926 times

Thanks for it's development guys!

Thank you once again! Hope you don't mind if I use your post as a testimonial.
And also, in future there will be a commercial version of the program, and I offer a free commercial license to all people who have contributed to CintaNotes in its Beta phase. Your contribution is your great post, and all you've got to do is register on this forum))
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”