Notebook never saves unless run as administator

bdp973

Notebook never saves unless run as administator

Postby bdp973 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:21 am

Seems a rather critical bug and wondered if others have seen this. I installed CintaNotes M10.5 on Windows 7 RTM and it consistently does not save the notebook unless I run the program as Administrator from the beginning. No error messages or anything if I run it normally, just that I will lose any changes next time it starts up. So I used Troubleshoot program and saved it to always "Run as Administrator", but I would have to turn off UAC completely if I don't want to see a nag window everytime it starts up now. My Windows user profile is not limited by any means.

Is this normal for CintaNotes in Windows 7?

Ben
bdp973
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Notebook never saves unless run as administator

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Hello bdp973,

please tell, have you installed CintaNotes into the Program Files folder?
Alex
bdp973

Postby bdp973 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:54 pm

Yes. C:\Program Files\CintaNotes.
It seems it's happening for the same reason I cannot directly edit an existing .txt, .xml, whatever file located in Program Files using Notepad unless I start Notepad up using "run as administrator" option. I figure this is default behavior in Windows Vista and 7 with UAC turned on.

Ben
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:51 am

Yes, this is due to the portable nature of CintaNotes. If you install into a folder outside of Program Files (such as e.g. c:\apps\cintanotes), you won't have to run it as Administrator anymore.
Alex
Midas

Postby Midas » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:36 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Yes, this is due to the portable nature of CintaNotes. If you install into a folder outside of Program Files (such as e.g. c:\apps\cintanotes), you won't have to run it as Administrator anymore.

Maybe this should be added into the readme file for the sake of Windows 7 users...
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
bdp973

Postby bdp973 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:39 am

Thank you for your responses. I did see that this software is advertised as being "portable", but I was expecting this to behave like other installed apps so it caught me off guard a bit. Maybe you can offer two different versions--portable or not?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:29 am

But there are two versions available for download: portable and installable.
Do you mean that installable version shouldn't try to put user data into the app folder and should use the
MY Documents and Application Data special folders instead?
Alex
ale

Postby ale » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:09 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:But there are two versions available for download: portable and installable.
Do you mean that installable version shouldn't try to put user data into the app folder and should use the
MY Documents and Application Data special folders instead?

I was looking into a few of my bookmarks, and found a nice summary of some aspects about developing and being compatible with Windows 7 (and Vista): Windows 7 Training Kit For Developers. The stuff about "Data Redirection" may be relevant for the kind of problems experienced in this discussion, maybe you can give a read and see if there's something useful or interesting :)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks, ale, I'll definitely give it a read. But I guess I can't just forget about the fact that more that 50% of users still use Windows XP (in fact, I'm still using it myself after seeing how long does opening a picture for full-screen view in Win7 take), so I'll try to approach Windows 7-specific features with due diligence and caution.
Alex

Return to “Bug Reports”